Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2021, 01:07 PM   #1
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
3121 Fresh Water Tank Location

Does anyone know where the fresh water tank is located on the 3121? I know it's behind the axles, but don't know how far behind. I want to install a couple of "L" brackets under the couch, anchored the rear of the couch and the floor. There is nothing holding the couch down, and am concerned that a panic stop could cause the couch to slide forward and interfere the slide out. I want to make sure I don't drill down into the top of the tank.

Thanks in advance

Old 02-25-2021, 01:41 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
The fresh water drain valve should come straight out of the tank. The tank will be directly above the drain. If the couch is located in a different spot, not over that drain location, I would think you've got nothing to worry about. If the drain is under the couch area, then you may have to just remove the underbelly to see what's going on.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #3
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchmenSport View Post
The fresh water drain valve should come straight out of the tank. The tank will be directly above the drain. If the couch is located in a different spot, not over that drain location, I would think you've got nothing to worry about. If the drain is under the couch area, then you may have to just remove the underbelly to see what's going on.
I was afraid that might be the answer. The drain comes out under the sofa, but was hoping it ran to the rear from the tank. On another note, my underbelly is fastened with nails (I guess that's what they are called), not screws. Is yours like this? If so, do you just pull them out like you would a regular nail in wood? I assume I would refasten with self-tapping screw. Do you know what size would be needed? Sorry for so many questions.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:57 PM   #4
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
When I put in my SeeLevel Gages, I had to find a way to remove the nails. I used an angle grinder to make a slot, then used a pry bar with a nail slot to pull them out. I replaced the nails with stainless self tapping screws with stainless washers. Hope this helps.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 10:27 PM   #5
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
I have read otherwhere on here that there is a good method to remove these. Maybe search for 'remove coroplast' or something

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:05 AM   #6
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
It if is like mine (should be, the 3120 and 3160 are the same except for kitchen/dining slides swapped) the fresh water tank is in the rear bay, all the way in the back, taking up most of the area between the frame rails. Yes, it is right below the couch.

Several cross country trips and a trip to Alaska and my couch has never moved.

As for the "nails"; I pulled all of mine; about 60.

Some of them will spin out with a 1/4" bit, just like a screw.

Some of them will spin part way out and you then take a pry bar or claw hammer and pop them the rest of the way out or put pressure on them and continue spinning.

The stubborn ones will just spin and you take a pry bar and hammer to get under the head and pop them out.

Replace them with self drilling screws and washers (I used #10 x 3/4"). Use a good power driver or drill and wear safety glasses. While you are doing this inspect the skirting that rolls under the trailer and attaches to the frame. The factory did not use any washers on mine and after a few months, several had pulled through and others were loose. Put some washers on these.

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=76400

https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ad.php?t=74313
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 05:39 AM   #7
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the tank is right below the sofa, so actually may not need to pull the coroplast. But I will file this info away for future reference. Now if I only knew how thick the flooring is. My sofa has not moved either, but I haven't had to make a full blown panic stop. I want to raise the sofa up by placing it on 2x4 laid flat on each end (and one maybe in the middle) so afraid in doing that it would be more apt to slide.
Old 02-26-2021, 11:22 AM   #8
scottz
Site Team

M.O.C. #19755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldicon View Post
Thanks to all who replied. Looks like the tank is right below the sofa, so actually may not need to pull the coroplast. But I will file this info away for future reference. Now if I only knew how thick the flooring is. My sofa has not moved either, but I haven't had to make a full blown panic stop. I want to raise the sofa up by placing it on 2x4 laid flat on each end (and one maybe in the middle) so afraid in doing that it would be more apt to slide.
I have used 3/4" screws to attach stuff to the ceiling of the basement; does not come through the floor. I think you would be ok with 3/4" screws. The water tank sits on braces that run between the frame rails; it does not sit tight up to the flooring.
scottz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #9
Baldicon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20906
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottz View Post
I have used 3/4" screws to attach stuff to the ceiling of the basement; does not come through the floor. I think you would be ok with 3/4" screws. The water tank sits on braces that run between the frame rails; it does not sit tight up to the flooring.
Thanks Scott