Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #41
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
You also can take All of the New York cases (243,000)completely out of the equations and the comparisons still are glaring!!!

2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
Old 04-20-2020, 11:37 AM   #42
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What have we done wrong???
If we had this under control would it matter a year from now?
The way I understand viruses without a vaccine and herd immunity it will continue to flair up until we get that immunity. We need a vaccine and lots of it or we will be dealing with this for a long time. A vaccine might not be so easy. Think about the AIDS virus and the common flu. It changes every year.
Lynwood
Old 04-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #43
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Not a huge fan of being told what to do since I left the military. I do understand a lot of the things in place. Certainly happy I live near the coast bordering 2 states that did not go crazy with the lockdown. My marina has stayed open and the 5er is close so along with things around the house I stay busy. We cancelled our trip for this month but am a bit pissed the Navy called and cancelled our trip for mid-May. Early IMO as the state 7 miles away opened retail effective today. Construction has been ongoing so I'm able to take the metal detector searching for CW relics. I'm a bit of a loaner so really don't mind, kind of appreciate, being off by myself.
We only had 38 cases in the entire large county and 1/3 brought it with them from NY and NJ.
We have had most groceries deliver to the S&B for a long time. Not a big deal with a $4 charge plus tip.
When PA opens I'll drive to visit my brother but they are really under heavy restrictions. FL maybe but how can DE justify stopping travel on the interstate? Some have certainly overstepped. Heck, I had more freedom in the bush in Nam for 2 years than those in some states do. Some that cram into buses and subways~~ no wonder they are no sick 365!
I felt bad for those laid off until over hearing some that do not want to go back to work until Sept as they are making more on unemployment than working! I feel bad for the business' that cannot get help until a side of politico get their head in the sunshine. Mostly, I feel bad for taxpayers as nothing comes free.
When my family has had financial problems for generations due to no fault family took care of their bills without govt hand outs. Next question, I'm retired with an income higher than most so why did I receive a check? The IRS knows as the check I send them is many times the amount they sent me. How could they possibly believe me and millions of others need $1200/$2400? Why not keep that or give those that truly need it more?
My rant is over for now ~~ off to the marina for a few minutes.
Old 04-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #44
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree. Some people don’t need a government handout. We can live just fine off of SS. Sure I couldn’t buy campers and motorcycles but they are toys we don’t haft to have. My wife gave our government check to a food bank.
Lynwood
Old 04-20-2020, 02:46 PM   #45
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
Anybody who lives "pay check to pay check" is not using common sense. Dave Ramsey says we should have at least $1000 saved and better yet would be six months income. The "I have to have it now" society will be sorry.
I took a seasonal job at Disney in Florida .In started in 2012 at 9.72 per hour and quit in 2016 at 10.04 per hour. That is pay check to pay check wages . We did not need the $$ or use it for bills or food.
Old 04-20-2020, 02:56 PM   #46
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
I agree. Some people don’t need a government handout. We can live just fine off of SS. Sure I couldn’t buy campers and motorcycles but they are toys we don’t haft to have. My wife gave our government check to a food bank.
Lynwood
LOL! My SS is $28 after Plan B! I worked for the FEDs for years after the military (bought the military SS into CSRS). Then worked for myself. Been in 95% cash since the DOW hit $27,000+. My income is ridiculously high due to investments of years ago. Planning is #1 and I started planning at age 17, now nearly 72. Split mine between Tillis, Graham, and Trump campaigns.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:09 PM   #47
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Here is something else to think about...MD governor had to secure 1/3 million Covid test kits from South Korea.
Old 04-20-2020, 05:24 PM   #48
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Strange. If I had gone in a bank a month ago with a mask on I would have been arrested and now I would be ask to leave.
Lynwood
Old 04-21-2020, 02:07 AM   #49
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
I think we will just open the economy and deal with the aftermath. We gave it the ole college heave ho! The remaining 97% of us will be immune to it since we will all have developed antibodies.

On a conspiracy note, perhaps this was a Chinese test on how the world responds to a covert bio attack. The US economy is our strength and our economy impacts the world. If they could couple it with a communication shut down (no cell phones, internet, TV) we'd all be pretty screwed.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:12 AM   #50
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
With all due respect this is what is going to be our downfall. Epidemiologist are now discovering that antibodies of Covid19 due not necessarily correlate to immunization. In addition mutations have already begun to crop up. Ironically if the US had shutdown in Feb 20 for 45 days the likelihood that the virus would have had no transmission paths available were very high. Assuming no new infectious people were brought into the country we would be returning to some resemblance of normal already.
Old 04-21-2020, 09:15 AM   #51
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Everyone is different. Helen and I are retired Federal Employees under the CSRS including Health care we were able to carry into retirement. We do pay for it. We are able to pay the bills , buy food and keep fuel in the vehicles, We invested in the Thrift saving plan when it started in 1985. We do not use it for retirement income and there is a sizable amount in it. We worked a bit under SS my check is 138.60 and Helens is 88.00 per month. We have never contributed to any Political campaign.

We did not need the 1200 we both got but we got it and that is that. We are losing $$ in big chunks with the market condition but we have lost big chunks before and it will come back. The economy has got to re open I can not imagine having no income for the basics. People will die but that is that.

We have wintered in Central Florida for years and worked at WDW. Wages are not high in the service industry and living paycheck to pay check is not uncommon. These are hard working people just doing the best they can.

Opening the economy will have little effect on us as we do not have a workplace and we can choose were we go and what we do. We will follow the advice of the medical community as we have been doing.

This virus is different there is no historical data on its effect and as of now there is no vaccine.

This did happen before with the Spanish flu of 1918 the circumstances were very similar people tired of self containment and began to mingle. Thousands more died and that is that.
Old 04-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #52
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
I think we will just open the economy and deal with the aftermath. We gave it the ole college heave ho! The remaining 97% of us will be immune to it since we will all have developed antibodies.

On a conspiracy note, perhaps this was a Chinese test on how the world responds to a covert bio attack. The US economy is our strength and our economy impacts the world. If they could couple it with a communication shut down (no cell phones, internet, TV) we'd all be pretty screwed.
Well as for cell phones and internet...
The Chinese are the foremost by way and afar the leaders in 5G cellphone technology.
IF this was a test (and it is BTW like it or not) of a bioweapon everyone is studying the implications.
IF the world was on a Chinese run 5G network AND if they did something like this deliberately, they could very well turn off your cellphone AND the internet (since we gave up control of the internet routers).
Old 04-21-2020, 01:38 PM   #53
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Remember when it was always the Russians that were the evil doers now we got the Chinese.
Old 04-21-2020, 03:21 PM   #54
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
Remember when it was always the Russians that were the evil doers now we got the Chinese.
Yeah, the difference now is we are too tied to them economically.

Honestly, I think history will show the biggest failure of this was actually shutting down the economy. Rosey the riveter and Uncle Sam are turning over in their graves. It's like going to war with no ammunition. We could have shut the borders, as we did, and mandated business develop social distancing action plans without shutting down. I was not employed prior to this, but signed on with Amazon since they hired an extra 100,000. There are hundreds of workers coming in each day, but they are managing them differently and providing ppe. We have three cases of the flu since I've been here. Not really a big deal. Every incident is followed up by cleaning teams.

We could have done this differently....shutting the economy down turned this into a failure.
Old 04-21-2020, 04:55 PM   #55
knapper42
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21742
I believe we need to open this country up completely and let the economy recover asap .
COVID 19 is a serious virus, not only does it take lives but it is ruining thousands and thousands families that have to go home because they have lost jobs.
Those of us that are at risk will just have to be responsible for ourselves and stop listening to those that promise help. I sometimes feel that all those young people that have lost incomes are being told to stay home mostly for the older people that are high risk for the virus.
Time to be there for the young people.
Old 04-21-2020, 05:30 PM   #56
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
For you who would opening up the country how many people would you sacrifice?
Would you sacrifice your wife, husband, child, one of your friends or neighbor? If you wouldn’t sacrifice someone close to you how many strangers would you sacrifice?
Just wondering because that is exactly what will happen.
Lynwood
Old 04-21-2020, 05:34 PM   #57
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Of course some of the data coming out is showing that one certain age group is not resulting in all the deaths.
In the U.S. some models show that 25% of the deaths are from people under the age of 60.

In Canada those over 60 only account for 1/3 of the population that die from it.
No age group is immune.

Another thing to consider is the long term effect left to those that recover. Long term serious residual health issues are left in many cases.

This thing leaves much deeper scars than the common flue once one recovers.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
Old 04-21-2020, 06:17 PM   #58
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Neighbors are obsessed with this. She no longer allows him out of the yard. I go along being cautious staying away from people but not living in fear. I'm out every day but using my head. NC did not go crazy and my marina stayed open thankfully. It is a "war", and intentional IMO. China would not miss a million or 10! Nothing they like more than our economy in freefall. Same with the MM, put fear into the herd for political reasons along with trampling the economy. Talk of science, they know nothing more than guesses with little to base this on. Time to put our big boy/girl panties on and go back to work except in the areas of hot spots.
Old 04-21-2020, 06:21 PM   #59
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I am not expert on any of this. Shutting down the country may have been the right thing to do considering the unknows about this virus but it has become a disaster. We were still in Central Florida when this started. The two major attractions WDW and Universal closed on the same day putting over 100K people out of work other attractions also closed.The ripple down effect in the service industry restaurants, shops, hotel and hotel workers caused thousands of others to lose their jobs. We did not want to be there when people ran out of Money and we left 3 weeks early.

I do not know the answers but people need to go back to work so they can support their families. Many may die and that is the way it is..
Old 04-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #60
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
I am not expert on any of this. Shutting down the country may have been the right thing to do considering the unknows about this virus but it has become a disaster. We were still in Central Florida when this started. The two major attractions WDW and Universal closed on the same day putting over 100K people out of work other attractions also closed.The ripple down effect in the service industry restaurants, shops, hotel and hotel workers caused thousands of others to lose their jobs. We did not want to be there when people ran out of Money and we left 3 weeks early.

I do not know the answers but people need to go back to work so they can support their families. Many may die and that is the way it is..
WoW! A bit of sanity there! Much more refreshing than those in fear mode! It would be a real ball buster if the VC and NVA had 2 years to do me in and missed to have a tiny bug get me.... such is life and we are all going to die one day. It is not in our hands, or hands of the Chinese but in the hands of a higher being.
Closed Thread