Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2021, 03:26 PM   #1
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Slide Cable Adjustment

And on goes the saga of the slide. Just a quick catch up: 2020-373RD, main big slide - took it in for warranty work for material being torn up. Dealership installed metal strips under the slide per mfg. Brought it home, header fell off ... dealer seems not to learn from the past (head same header issue on 305). Header damaged flooring ... another long story.

Slide started tearing up more material. Back again, more metal slides and adds three rollers inside the wear strip. All is well, for a while but then ... when starting to retract the slide the motor pulled down and a loud pop with slide jumping in a couple in a couple of inches. Showed this to a tech at the Rally, he almost jumped out of the coach. Short story, new motor/gear box installed (high torque) and cables adjusted. Not perfect but seemingly better, just squeeked a lot. Was told not to lube it.

So several days later, slide was coming in and gets in a bind. stop moving it, get the ladder out, one side the block at the end of the chain has twisted on both the in & out hitting each other. Make some adjustment and make it home. Put the slide out and DW notices the bottom right corner is not full extended and loop of cable is showing under the slide. Get the ladder - one cable (the out bottom cable) has unscrewed itself. Reinstalled nut and adjusted the best of my ability.

Go to bring in the slide to go camping, motor bogs down ... one of the new metal plates has a 1/2" bend and is pushing in slide bar in over top one of the new rollers. After some work, got the metal flattened (mostly) and push the slide strip down and closed the slide.

Got it to the dealer and get the call slide is fixed and working on other items. Despite, the note to CALL ME when Keystone came up with a fix. After expressing dismay, told them I'd see them in the morning. After arriving, they show the recommended fix, shorter plate. I show the how the slide strip is pulled up from the floor and how the slide is so far back in the slide hole it is rubbing hard. Bottom cables, the front is not tight, can be pushed down 2-3" and the rear is tight enough to make a low note when plucked. When told the slide needs to be moved forward and cable properly adjusted the response is, "There is NO ADJUSTMENT to move slide forward."

I agree with that but feel if cables are MIS-ADJUSTED it will pull the slide forward or back.

Does anyone know of the MASTER SLIDE/CABLE WIZARD that could give some direction on proper cable adjustment? I would love to talk to them.

Would appreciate thoughts on the whole process.

And by the way, don't misplace the little foam blocks on the cable nuts - these are to prevent the nuts from backing off.

Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 05:27 PM   #2
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
this video helped me on my wardrobe slide, the only one out of 6 that has cable, thanks keystone, anyway, this really has some good info on replacing and adjusting

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 09:19 AM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Nice video package, thx. What I see is if it close to normal ... I'm kinda out of that relm. We'll see if the dealer gets it ironed out. Maybe third time is a charm.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Boy, I am glad I bought my Mountaineer and not a High Country. Keystone kept both around for about 2 years I think in 2013/14 or so. I have the hydraulic slides. I have 60000 miles, 7 years with about 35 layovers a year, so that is about 250 setups and takedowns. I had 2 bad cylinders within 2 months on the way to the Rally in goshen. Lippert got me in on the day we left (at 7 am) and were done by noon. Had a few more creep outs on the way home, but dealer just ran the slides in and out 10 times and no more problems.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 12:40 PM   #5
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
If you watch this site you will find there is trouble with the cable slides and hydraulic slides. My HC is a 2011 with no trouble. If the cables and brackets are probably adjusted you should never have a problem. The gear boxes can go bad and some leak oil. You can replace a gear box or a cable much quicker than almost any park on a hydraulic slide. I’ll stick with the cables.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2021, 07:02 PM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
If you watch this site you will find there is trouble with the cable slides and hydraulic slides. My HC is a 2011 with no trouble. If the cables and brackets are probably adjusted you should never have a problem. The gear boxes can go bad and some leak oil. You can replace a gear box or a cable much quicker than almost any park on a hydraulic slide. I’ll stick with the cables.
Lynwood
Yes it appears to be something you can do yourself. However, I have heard probably 10 problems with cable slides for every 1 with a hydraulic. Actually maybe more like 20-1.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2021, 05:06 AM   #7
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
The only slide of 4 on ours that I have had a problem with is the 13 foot LR - and that is because the slide bar appears to have collapsed and allows it to droop. So far, with a little lube along with some adjustment , have gotten it to work kinda OK I have six Lippert J-1 rollers to be installed as soon as I get a bit of weather break from the 30 degree days.

Adjusting the cables is pretty easy - 3 tools, understand the BAL instruction booklet and an hour of your time is all you need. (tools 3/8", 7/16" {Gear Wrench type work best} and a pair of Vise Grips_

My opinion, FWIW, is that any slide over about 6 or so feet is too heavy, as well as to flexible (floppy?) for that cable system
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote