Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2024, 07:21 PM   #1
Keith & Melanie

M.O.C. #33557
Check list

Hello, and good evening fellow, Montana owners. My wife and I are looking for some suggestions for a packing checklist. I know most of us put together a little Post-it notes that kind of thing, but does anyone have a proper checklist they would be willing to share with us. Thank you very much

Keith & Melanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2024, 07:56 PM   #2
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We pretty much leave ours packed including clothes. Just need to load up food and drink, check tires and propane and we are ready to go.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 12:20 AM   #3
jsb5717
Montana Master

M.O.C. #23668
We don't have a list. Over the years we've pretty much duplicated everything we need to keep the trailer functional such as all kitchen and dinner ware, towels, sheets, tools, movies, etc. We go shopping for food, pack our clothes and toiletries, and we're ready to go.
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 03:39 AM   #4
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

here some tips and a first prefab checklist:

https://www.keepyourdaydream.com/checklist/

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:14 AM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
My wife and I have been camping since we first got married 38 years ago. I guess we don't "think" about what our camper is outfitted with any more because we've been doing "this" for so long.

In our mind, our camper is simply an extension of our home, or a second home. What that boils down to, the items in the camper are the same items we use in the house.

To start outfitting your camper, if you are collecting things that will eventually go into the camper, consider every room of your house and what you actually use in those room. That my be a simple as a tooth brush, tooth paste, dental floss, mouth wash, shaving cream, and a razor. In your shower, you no doubt have a bar of soap and a bottle of shampoo, and maybe a bottle of hair conditioner. So, those are the items you "need" in the camper.

Go through each room of the house and determine what you actually use in that room. Room decorations and nick-nacks sitting around are not "essential" items. Decorations don't count. You start with functional items. You will end up decorating your camper as you travel and it will eventually be packed with momentous as you travel around.

This way, you make your own list, that is unique to your lifestyle.

One thing I always advise to someone stocking their camper the first time is to include 2 items that we missed until we just went to Wall Mart and bought it! The first is a potato peeler and the second is a cork screw for removing corks from wine bottles! (and don't forget a hand operated can opener). It's the simple things that you will forget.

So the next time you prepare a meal at home, jot down all the cooking tools you use. THAT is your list.

When you take a shower and get dressed, THAT is your list.

When you wash cloths, THAT is your list.

When you "play", home entertainment, hobbies, sports, THAT is your list.

When you go to bed, your bedding, pillows, blankets, sheets you use, THAT is your list.

Write all this stuff down, keep the list going for each room of your house. List only the essentials, and THAT is your list.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:30 AM   #6
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you can, try "camping" with your rig in your driveway for a week. Then you will know for sure.
Make sure you have tools and spare parts for break downs that will immobilize you.
Wheel lug nuts, suspension bolts, leaf spring.
Practice changing tires.

ALWAYS check your wheels and suspension bolts/nuts torque before you leave home.
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2024, 07:32 AM   #7
Gonefishing
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #33285
I use a list. We are part timers full timers. Meaning ours is set on a permanent spot and we use it 1-3 weeks a month. When first got the camper we stocked it with what we have in the house. Living room a cabinet with flashlight and battery, not pad and pen, some games. Kitchen pots n pans, bowls, plates, silverware, kitchen towels, dish soap, coffee cups, drink cups. Food wise we eat the same while camping as we do at home. As we use up something I check the item on the list which tells me we need to restock that item. As for bedding and bathroom items while that’s a given you know what you need.
2021 Montana 3761fl pulled with a 2022 F350 King Ranch
Gonefishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 01:18 PM   #8
lajitasgal
Established Member

M.O.C. #18954
Checklists/Packing lists

I'm an incurable list maker, so I make packing lists whether we're traveling with the camper or staying in hotels. Like many others have said, most of our clothes, linens, pantry items, etc. Stat in the trailer. But I do use checklists for prepping the rig to travel, both when we leave home and when we leave the remote campsite. I include things like stowing toiletries, securing the sliding shower doors with a bungy, taking up area rugs, taking in outdoor rugs, securing refrigerator (shelf bars, door closure), stowing the power cord, turning on the inverter, etc. Even though we've trailer camped since about 1994, I've always used check lists. It's just too easy to miss a step when you're in a hurry or in a strange place. Good prep can help avoid some expensive mistakes.
lajitasgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2024, 06:51 PM   #9
Cbrez
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28306
We don’t keep a checklist since there are few things you can forget that you can’t pick up on the road. Wallet/purse, keys and passports (if crossing the border) are critical items to double check before departure. Otherwise when we unload the RV for storage we store all of our RV specific items in a designated closet in our house. That way most of what we need to move to the RV is consolidated in one location. When the closet is empty we can be confident the RV is provisioned with most of what we had last trip.

My biggest concentration is on the tools and equipment I need to make minor repairs. Again, I don’t have a check list but know if I have my tool box, Dewalt bag and air pump I’m in good shape.
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote