Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-26-2021, 08:00 AM   #1
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
'21 3121ck heater

question..

on my main thermostat in the hallway there are two different modes.. gas & elec.

when i launch the heater in 'gas' mode the thermostat displays 'gas', turns on and away we go...
when i launch the heater in 'elec' mode, the thermostat displays 'elec' for about 3 seconds, but then displays BOTH.. 'gas and elec' on the thermostat display panel, and the heater turns on.

am i to assume that when in 'elec' mode that both propane and electricty is being used .. or just propane?

thank in advance.

r-

Ron & Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 09:23 AM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
On Elec if you set the T-stat more than 3 or 4 degrees above room temp both will come on. You have to slowly raise the temp a few degrees at a time in elec mode to keep the gas furnace from coming on. Kind of a pain, but that's the way they work in these RVs.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:45 AM   #3
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Ron, as Michelle/Ann said, the electric is your heat pump. Depending on internal temp, humidity and how you’re standing, it will work down to about 35 +/- 5 degrees. But, it needs to be within 3 degrees of set point to get the heat pump to work on its own. Once you get below 35 or so, only use your gas.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 02:36 PM   #4
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
thank you...

so when i setup.. i'll see the actual temp on the console (x). at that point i will set the heater to elec, and set temp to x+3.

alternatively, if i set the temp to 65, and the actual temp is below the threshold the console will display elec & gas. question.. once the temp does reach 65 degrees, will the console/furnace revert to elec only and stay there.. or?

thank you.

r-
Old 12-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #5
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
If you have the new Coleman system, I believe if you choose "electric" (heat pump) mode, if the air temperature falls below 36⁰F it will automatically switch to gas "furnace" mode.

Someone else will need to confirm.
I have the older Dometic system (2019).
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2021, 07:19 PM   #6
MandK
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron & Izzy View Post
thank you...

so when i setup.. i'll see the actual temp on the console (x). at that point i will set the heater to elec, and set temp to x+3.

alternatively, if i set the temp to 65, and the actual temp is below the threshold the console will display elec & gas. question.. once the temp does reach 65 degrees, will the console/furnace revert to elec only and stay there.. or?

thank you.

r-
Yes, mine did exactly that tonight. We left NJ this morning and rolled into a koa in VA late this afternoon, temp in the trailer was 42*. Set the thermostat to 68 and the heat to elect. It switched itself to Heat-Elec and Gas, then ran using both propane and the heat pump until it reached 68*.
Then it switched itself back to Heat-Elec where it has been all evening.
We are also running the fireplace, but that has nothing to do with the furnace settings.
MandK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #7
Ron & Izzy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #29530
side note:

i did call keystone and the tech said that the unit displays both gas and elect, but that gas is a backup ....

r-