Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2021, 05:57 AM   #1
Helpful Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #29946
2021 3231CK IN-Command power loss

I was in coach working, lights on heat pump running. Area lost power for 10 minutes. When power returned waited for In-Command to fire-up so I could turn lights on. 30 minutes later noticed coach getting chilly, checked In-Command found heat set to off. Will this happen with all power loss? Don't want to freeze pets or pipes while at work. Thanks

Helpful Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2021, 07:40 AM   #2
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
The In Command BCM does not like power bumps... If you have the battery disconnect switch ON... as it should be... then when you lost shore power and converter the BCM and DC ( display commander ) would have still been powered up..

But.. a surge on the DC BUS when shore power came back on may have made a glitch across the 12 volt side that the In Command didn't like very well..

A reset of the BCM after a power surge or loss isn't a bad idea
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2021, 07:25 PM   #3
JimM86
Established Member

M.O.C. #29440
Smile In command system

I feel your pain. I had a beautiful 2020 Jayco Eagle that had that in command tablet instead of a normal manual panel and thought great can use the app on my phone to control everything. Very high tech. From day one had problems. Had to contact the manufacturer of the system that was BMPRO and they put me in contact with the eng that designed the system. So they had to overnight a new tablet to me and then had to contact again the engineer to walk me through the setup as new. Ended up staying 3 days more at the site because since the panel was dead no way to pull in the slides etc. Finally got to work after new install. Kept rig for under 1 yr and again problem with tablet BMPRO. So finally said enough and saw a Montana that is a 2021 with a controls that are rocker switches and all manual. No app no tablet no high tech. Took a big loss in trade. But at my age I want things old school. Rather push a button vs a touch screen. Good like I hope you resolve your issues and it continue to works perfectly for you.
JimM86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:01 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Re-read you initial post and IF you are saying the In Command display turned off when you lost shore power then ...

You are running your RV with the battery disconnect switch in the OFF position... Turn it ON and leave it ON..

Even with loss of shore power the In Command system would have stayed fully functional because it runs solely off 12 volts DC... But with battery switch OFF then you lost everything when shore power quit
ChuckS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:28 AM   #5
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Agree with Chuck, would add that when it loses power the BCM will lose your t-stat settings. Recommend some method to notify on power loss. I added a Watchdog that communicates with RV Whisper to notify me via text and email on AC power loss, temperature level alerts and propane level alerts. I'm also in a beta test for RV Whisper to interface with my Victron Smart Shunt for 12V monitoring (though having issues on the Victron side at the moment).

Also, changed my inverter, solar controller and batttery monitor to Victron (part of my LiFePO4 upgrade). I can monitor my Victron setup remotely as well.
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:37 AM   #6
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
First, Helpful Dad, if you haven’t done it already, set your WiFi up on your In-Command system. You can set alarms, etc. to alert you. They have greatly improved the In-Command system over the years. The In-Command can be operated in the event of a failure from the panel in the basement. Rip, whwere can I find out about RV Whisper?
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2021, 06:49 AM   #7
RipNC
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26926
Agree with Ron! I use the remote access/control of Global Command all the time and it has worked well for us.

Ron - RVWhisper.com. Screenshot is my current page view (farther down on the screen is in second shot). Lots of drilldown info and alert options too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211226-084418_Chrome.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	10833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20211226-084728_Chrome.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	10834  
RipNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpful Dad View Post
I was in coach working, lights on heat pump running. Area lost power for 10 minutes. When power returned waited for In-Command to fire-up so I could turn lights on. 30 minutes later noticed coach getting chilly, checked In-Command found heat set to off. Will this happen with all power loss? Don't want to freeze pets or pipes while at work. Thanks
YUP, that's why I put in 600AH of Lithium. You might get by on less if close by. Of course you need an internet connection to get the report of power loss but that isn't difficult to arrange. Obviously a generator to re-power the batteries if shore power doesn't return for an extended time. It's all doable, just a matter of $$$$$
3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote