Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2015, 10:54 PM   #1
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
electrical grounding concern

Just pulled into my campsite and did all the usual stuff, leveling, hooking water and sewer. I always plug in first then turn the shore power breaker on. This time there was a loud crack, sparking and smoke. I contacted the campsite mangement who called their electrician. Apparently there was a problem with the ground. All appeared good for a couple hours but now mt 5th wheel is not grounded. Everytime I touch a metal part of the 5th wheel while standing on the ground I get an electric shock. This as never happened before. Has something damaged my trailer and should keep hooked up to the same circuit breaker?

Biggjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 11:47 PM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

You should be using one of the surge or line condition protection devises on you trailer. That would tell you is the problem is in the trailer or the camp ground.

At any rate you have a problem that could result in serious injury and you need to get an electrician out there to correct it.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:22 AM   #3
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Unplug it NOW. The grounding problem is very serious and dangerous. Get it fixed before connecting again.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:59 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Jim is an electrician and knows what he's talking about. That condition can and has killed people and yes this is a great reason why you need and EMS so you know the pedestal is safe.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:51 AM   #5
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by NCFischers

Unplug it NOW. The grounding problem is very serious and dangerous. Get it fixed before connecting again.
An electician came out and said the problem was the pedistal had the ground bonded to the neutral. He removed it and put a clean ground in place. I moved from one campground to this one as the previous one was like a parking lot with no room for my awning. I did not have this problem there and have never had this before. If it is my trailer, what could be the problem.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:02 AM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Try disconnecting and using battery only. If normal with battery power, then my guess is the converter was damaged.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:31 AM   #7
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Biggjb

Quote:

An electician came out and said the problem was the pedistal had the ground bonded to the neutral. He removed it and put a clean ground in place. I moved from one campground to this one as the previous one was like a parking lot with no room for my awning. I did not have this problem there and have never had this before. If it is my trailer, what could be the problem.
If the problem went away after the electrician was there, then the problem has been solved. As suggested though, you should still look into getting a device to protect you and the trailer.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:45 AM   #8
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by 1retired06

Try disconnecting and using battery only. If normal with battery power, then my guess is the converter was damaged.
12 volt system is fine. I have just connected to another pedistal and the same problem occurred. So I have ruled out the pedistal now I need to know the problem wth my trailer...any suggestions? It is a 2009 2980RL
Old 04-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #9
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Biggjb

Quote:

If the problem went away after the electrician was there, then the problem has been solved. As suggested though, you should still look into getting a device to protect you and the trailer.
Unfortunatly the problem did not go away. I plugged into a new pedistal and the same problem exists. The only thing I did different when I set up yesterday was not put wooden blocks under the landing gear legs. We are on a concrete pad. Any suggestios other than packing up and taking it to a RV repair shop?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:08 AM   #10
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
If there was a "loud crack, sparking, and smoke" I would check your power cord. Sounds like there may be a problem in the plug. The ground wire may have opened there.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:38 AM   #11
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
I think Bill (BB TX) may be onto something! Take the cord plug apart at the end that goes to the pedestal. The wires inside may be fried together or loose. Easy fix, too. I've done it. Good luck and post what you find.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 04:48 AM   #12
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

If there was a "loud crack, sparking, and smoke" I would check your power cord. Sounds like there may be a problem in the plug. The ground wire may have opened there.
I have just checked the resistance of my power cord and assuming the round prong is ground and not the other 3 flat ones, the resistance is zero, which to me means the power cord is good. I cannot last long on battery and do not know if staying plugged will cause any problem with the trailer until I can get technician to look at the trailer
Old 04-27-2015, 05:14 AM   #13
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
In spite of your testing, I would take the screws out of the cord plug and inspect the wires and connections inside, to be sure.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:55 AM   #14
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
If you are checking the power cord from one end to the other with your tester and you check the "round" ground if there is no break or shorted/burned off wire it will read infinite, if one of the hot wires shorted to ground inside the plug it may have burned off the hot wire, you need to check each one for continuity. There should be "no" reading from any one prong to any other prong, if there is then there is an internal short. Check the cord from one plug end to the other.

My tester has a continuous beep when there is continuity, if you have that ability use it to confirm all the wires are good from one end to the other and there is "no" continuity between one terminal and another.

Most original cords cannot be taken apart and have no screws to remove, so that option may not be available to you. As has been mentioned if there was popping and sparks there was a short from one of the hot wires to ground, that is not good, you need to have the ground for safety. If the electrician confirmed the pedestal was OK then you most likely have a problem with your cord.

If you are unplugged from shore power you could check the connections in your distribution panel and make sure they are all tight but you are unlikely to have had a short there.

Either buy a new cord or confirm the one you have has no issues before using it further.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 AM   #15
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
If you have a 30 amp shore cord, you can use it to verify that the rig is okay which would definitely point to the 50 amp cord. I always carry both, but you may not have the 30 amp.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:58 AM   #16
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

If you have a 30 amp shore cord, you can use it to verify that the rig is okay which would definitely point to the 50 amp cord. I always carry both, but you may not have the 30 amp.
Bingo
I only have a 20 amp plug as the connecter on my trailer is a twist and lock. I will use it just to see what happens.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:01 AM   #17
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Or, borrow someone else's cord to isolate/confirm your cord problem?!
Old 04-27-2015, 06:54 PM   #18
Biggjb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9851
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by capn chris

Or, borrow someone else's cord to isolate/confirm your cord problem?!
The campsite has been very helpful. A rv technician came by today and we 3 hours taking my 5th wheel appart to find the problem. We have ruled the shore power as we connected to 3 other pedistals and it did not solve the problem. We disconnected the converter and we still had the same problem. Wechecked the power cord and the twist lock socket on the trailer and all were as expected. He then went back to the trailer fuze panel. With the 5th wheel plugged into 50 amps he measure 247 V on one side of the 50 amp breaker and nothing on the other side. This measure was take while connected to the ground. He then took the same measure while connected to neutral and both sides of the 50amp fuse each measured 120V. He thinks it could be the switch installed whenI asked to have the 5th wheel wired for a generater. He says those relay switches sometime short out. The generater relay switch was added by the RV dealer I bought my 5th wheel from. He could finish the work but will return tomorrow to solve the problem. Has anyone had a similar problem with those relay switchs? I have never installed a generater so I'm not sure why I asked to prep my 5th wheel for one.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:36 AM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
There have been many reports of lugs in the transfer switch as well as the beaker panel not being properly torqued. Both areas need to be checked.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 03:35 AM   #20
DonPd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4328
I made a 50 amp tester and use it before plugging in my power.

Site for the 50 amp tester;
http://www.myrv.us/electric/Pg/tester_50amp.htm

Site for 30 amp tester;
http://www.myrv.us/electric/pg/tester_30amp.htm

Here is some information that might save your life.
http://www.noshockzone.org/are-little-shocks-ok/

http://www.noshockzone.org/
DonPd is offline   Reply With Quote