Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #1
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
Passenger side light always on

2011 3150RL - This just started. Came back from an outing and noticed the outside passenger light (at the top right corner) on. Tried every light switch, disconnected the wires from behind the DS light switch, & took out all the 12V breakers from the PDI. We are on shore power & haven't disconnected from that yet.
Will be boondocking starting tomorrow & don't want to drain my batteries.
Any ideas?

LBCOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Did you by chance use the remote control to turn on that light? If you did and did not use the remote to turn off that light, that might be why it is still on. Again, if you did use the remote, you will need to use it to turn off that light.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:12 PM   #3
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
Remote? I don't know of a remote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:53 PM   #4
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I agree with Bob, that light was turned on with the remote and can only be turned off with the remote. You might not know where the remote is but I bet it is somewhere in the area. If you look behind the batteries on the back wall you can see the "brain" for the remote system.

An alternative is to remove the bulb from the light until you figure it out.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 08:08 PM   #5
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
Just got back from dinner & now noticed the round LEDs over the kingpin is also lit up.
BTW, thanks for responding so quickly.
I do plan to remove the lamp before we leave camp tomorrow
Old 02-17-2022, 09:26 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
On our rig, the scare light, the kingpin light, and the light behind the steps are all off the same switch. I wonder if it's possible that a stray signal could have turned on the light?
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:46 PM   #7
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
Off topic - you live in Box Elder? I was stationed at Ellsworth in the early 80's. Used to live in Rapid Valley.
Anyway, I guess it's possible. Is there a way to reset or override it somewhere in the battery bay?
Also, the compartment that houses the Jack system doesn't have any references to a remote function. However, there are several threads here where people with a 2010/11 3150RL that talk about their remotes. We bought this used and there was never mentioned anything about a remote.
About remotes... is there also supposed to be one for the fireplace?
Old 02-17-2022, 10:04 PM   #8
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
If it was a stray signal, how close does one need to be to effect someone else's rig?
Old 02-18-2022, 06:37 AM   #9
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCOX View Post
If it was a stray signal, how close does one need to be to effect someone else's rig?

On our HC, anywhere within 100 feet will turn that light on along with operate other functions that can be controlled via the remote (awning/slides/front legs/rear stabilizers).

You may need to identify which 'brain' your unit has and then contact, probably LCI, and order a new remote. If indeed it is an LCI, these are not inexpensive and are only available through LCI or RV Upgrades. If not LCI, there is another supplier but couldn't find it with a quick look this morning.

This is for our HC - I paid a bit less then this amount but still into the hundred buck+ range for a replacement: https://store.lci1.com/lcd-wireless-...ob-206436.html
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 09:28 AM   #10
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
Thanks everyone for your guidance. The "brain" comments helped me resolve it for now. I figured while breaking camp today i would disconnect the batteries & shore power to see if that would fix it. First disconnecting batteries only did not, but after disconnecting shore power they went out. Waited about a minute. Then first connecting batteries they did not come back on. Then reconnecting shore power they still did not come back on, but was able to turn on with DS light switch.
In the meantime, i called Lippirt & they said to take a picture of the control board to see if they even have a remote still available...too early to tell. Will post when i know something.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:27 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBCOX View Post
Thanks everyone for your guidance. The "brain" comments helped me resolve it for now. I figured while breaking camp today i would disconnect the batteries & shore power to see if that would fix it. First disconnecting batteries only did not, but after disconnecting shore power they went out. Waited about a minute. Then first connecting batteries they did not come back on. Then reconnecting shore power they still did not come back on, but was able to turn on with DS light switch.
In the meantime, i called Lippirt & they said to take a picture of the control board to see if they even have a remote still available...too early to tell. Will post when i know something.
I was just going to suggest this!!! I had heard this before. As for a remote, about all I could see using it for is turning on the lights as you get near at night. No remote is not a big deal to me (for 16 years).

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 03:42 PM   #12
LBCOX
Established Member

M.O.C. #27668
The saga continues...Lippirt said it wasn't there control board, it must be a GAMA. BUT, he was able to give me some history and the probably cause. Before 2015, the "remotes" were radio signals, not IR like they are today. Because there was not enough channel separation your next door neighbor could accidentally control your lights (or worse, your leveling jacks, YIKES). Just because I'm curious, I'm going to call GAMA in the morning to see if the control board is theirs and describe the situation. However, if it happens again, I'll probably just disconnect the power as I described above rather than paying a hefty fee for a remote I'll rarely use...unless someone can convince me otherwise.
Old 02-23-2022, 05:25 PM   #13
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
There may be a switch on the bottom of the light. Don't know what the setup is on a 2011 unit. Several of my older units were configured that way.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote