Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2019, 12:04 PM   #1
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
New England States

Where would be the best location to camp while seeing the New England states. I was thinking New Hampshire as it seems centrally located. I am planning to stay about 10 days in one location if possible and see the sites within 2 or 3 hours of the campground. Never camped in New England so any campground suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:56 PM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We just bounced around a couple of years ago and found CG.s as we went staying a few days in each location.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:40 PM   #3
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I don't mind bouncing around a little but I am planning on visiting the area late September to early October which is a high volume period so I was thinking I might have a hard time finding a nice campground to stay at. With the New England states so small I can probably stay in 1 or 2 locations and see most of what I want to see without moving much. I don't mind staying in a hotel overnight if I stray to far from the rv.
Old 08-23-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
NC3661RL

M.O.C. #22354
Check out Normandy Farms in Foxboro, Ma. Fantastic Campground with a great location. Half hour to Boston, hour to the Cape, 1.5 hours to NH, etc.
NC3661RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:57 PM   #5
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Thanks. Is it very hard to get reservations in the New England states in late Sept thru early Oct. I was thinking about staying in New Hampshire on account of it being more centrally located for all the states. I have never camped in that area so it's all new to me. I plan on visiting Mass. and north to Maine. Foxboro may be a good location for my southern portion traveling the New England states. Any good campgrounds in Maine.
Old 08-24-2019, 06:21 AM   #6
NC3661RL

M.O.C. #22354
In Maine we stayed at Old Orchard Beach Campground. Nice campground with a central location to the popular Maine coastal attractions. We preferred the Black Forest section of the campground which is a new section at the back of the campground, very quiet when we were there (early June). Great bike trails close by if you are into that.
NC3661RL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:47 AM   #7
psomers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12724
We really enjoyed our New England trip about eight years ago. We were there late September early October. We went as far as Nova Scotia. We moved to several camp grounds and didn't have any problems with getting a camp ground. We did stay at one that was closing for winter the next week. Places we enjoyed, cog railroad to weather station in NH Acadia National Park in Maine and Roosevelt Campebello Int'l Park.
The one problem was being from the south we didn't have enough warm clothes.

Paul Northport,AL W4XH
2013 358 RLT Mountaineer
2008 Silverado Duramax
psomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:34 AM   #8
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
We will be on our way in a couple weeks to New England, leaving Upstate New York. We will be crossing VT and NH directly to Maine. We will be going to the Ellsworth/Acadia NP area first, staying at Timberland Acres CG. This CG has huge sites and is about 15 miles from the park. There are a couple closer CGs but many close Columbus Day weekend. We will be going from there to Harrington, ME and Sunset Point CG. Very small but the views are great and the owner will serve you a lobster meal at a very reasonable cost. We have stayed at both before and have been happy. A new one will be near Booth Bay, Gray Homestead CG. It has great reviews and a virtual You Tube tour.

A CG near Old Orchard Beach that we stayed in a couple years ago, Wild Duck is an adult only CG and can be a bit tight but is close to Portland and the South Coast - Kennebunk, Kittery, etc. The Freeport-Durham KOA does a good job as well. Cedar Haven near Freeport has decent sites - but I found them too tight. If you get as far as Lubec, ME, I cannot reccomend this one also named Sunset Point - unless you like almost overlapping slides. Others think it's a great CG.

An opinion - CGs like Bayley's near Old Orchard are fine if you have kids. It can be noisy and dusty but it is very close to the beach and their prices will show that.

A few years back we stayed at Hemlock Grove CG just South of Biddefordand had a great time. Another is Homestead by the River. Many years ago we styed there for months at a time and I full timed one summer when working on a project in Biddeford. It's no longer the same owners but the sites were great

NH - virtually any CG near Mt Washington though Crazy Horse CG near Littleton is not recommended. They put us in a site that was easy to get into but required a lot of maneuvering to exit. Then there was that drunken party and shrieking women seasonals party for three nights until after 2:00am the CG did nothing to quiet.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #9
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Traveler's Woods CG in Bernardston, MA close to the VT border is a nice little place. We have stayed there 3 times and were treated like old friends by everyone.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 02:52 PM   #10
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Is it hard to find a campground while traveling in late Sept-early Oct. I was planning on making reservations ahead but I do like the idea of moving from state to state without making reservations no more than maybe 2 or 3 days ahead. With this being a prime season I don't want to be camping in a Wal-Mart parking lot.
Old 08-24-2019, 04:02 PM   #11
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan View Post
Is it hard to find a campground while traveling in late Sept-early Oct. I was planning on making reservations ahead but I do like the idea of moving from state to state without making reservations no more than maybe 2 or 3 days ahead. With this being a prime season I don't want to be camping in a Wal-Mart parking lot.

Usually not a problem but reservations are always a good idea, especially when the 'leaf peepers' come out to (slowly) wander the roads. I made ours with no problem. CGs start to close at Columbus Day weekend since snow may not be too far away anytime after Oct 15 in the NE mountains
Old 09-01-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
slangvel
Established Member

M.O.C. #21356
Send a message via AIM to slangvel Send a message via MSN to slangvel Send a message via Yahoo to slangvel
Try "Mile Away" in Henniker, its about 10 miles out of Concord. Great people there, I had a site for 4 years there when I did work for the Department of Veterans Affairs, I might add that it was a 4 season site.
slangvel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #13
JoeO

M.O.C. #22075
New England campgrounds

First of all, New England may be a little bigger than you think. There is also a lot to see. Especially if your into history.
I would almost recommend going north along the coast up to Acadia National Park. There are so many stops along the way.
At that point, I would recommend heading west towards Rangeley, Maine and then into northern New Hampshire and the white mountains. Continuing west to Vermont to take in the foliage along the way.
There is so much to see along the way with a lot of great campgrounds. At that point I would head south through western Massachusetts continuing on to Connecticut.
Not sure if your a member of Harvest Host, but that may be a pretty cool option if you want to keep moving.
JoeO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 10:00 PM   #14
Tcquilter

M.O.C. #19612
New England

We have just spent a month in Hampton Falls, NH at Wakeda Family Campground. It is a beautiful family run facility nestled in large pine trees with spacious sites, full hookups, and beautifully maintained. It is 20 minutes from Portsmouth, and you are near Hampton Beach, Kittery, Maine, and within a few hours driving of the White Mountains, the Maine coastline, Boston and Salem, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. We have been RVing in Connecticut and New Hampshire and NH is a great choice for location.
Wakeda does not offer cable TV and we got 13 channels with our antenna. They do have a couple of WiFi spots, but we have Verizon and used our personal hotspots without issue. There are so many things to do in the area that you shouldn’t be bored.
We spent three days in Rangeley, Maine on the lake in a cabin, and then drove three hours east to Acadia National Park. There is so much to see and do up there that you may want to try several campgrounds to save a lot of driving time. I-95 charges you tolls up to the Augusta area of Maine and since we have a dually, we get charged as a commercial vehicle and it gets expensive. It took us 4 hours to get to Rangeley using back roads instead of the interstate. It’s a two plus hour trek to the White Mountains.
Tcquilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2019, 05:06 AM   #15
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Don't know if anyone has said it, but pack warm clothing. Right now, here in Ellsworth, Maine (Acadia area) it's 50 degrees and the high will be mid 60s and it's going to be a beautiful day after some rain and fog last night.Fall is about here in the NE

Something else - we just traveled the Mass Turnpike(I-90) and I-495. The roads are, with apologies to the locals, bumpy as I-10 in Louisiana along with drivers who turn into psychopaths once behind the wheel of their vehicles
Old 10-04-2019, 06:18 AM   #16
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Thank you, Thank you everybody. A trip to Maine (from Central FL) up the Atlantic coast & back thru the White Mtns, Shenandoah & Smokies is on my bucket list. I don't want to make the trip by myself in this big Monty, but hubby isn't healthy. I have a file on my computer "RV sites to see". I have added all ya'lls CG & site suggestions. One of these days, maybe.

RV trip wizard said Maine had 10' bridges. I thought I would park Monty in York, ME & just travel by truck.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #17
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by margerush View Post
Thank you, Thank you everybody. A trip to Maine (from Central FL) up the Atlantic coast & back thru the White Mtns, Shenandoah & Smokies is on my bucket list. I don't want to make the trip by myself in this big Monty, but hubby isn't healthy. I have a file on my computer "RV sites to see". I have added all ya'lls CG & site suggestions. One of these days, maybe.

RV trip wizard said Maine had 10' bridges. I thought I would park Monty in York, ME & just travel by truck.

I have not only traveled Maine on holiday for over 40 years but worked there 2 years as well and have yet to encounter a 10' bridge. Maybe w-a-a-y up North in Aroostook County, but logging trucks wander that area and well exceed 10 feet. Now, if you want to talk bumpy roads, especially US1, 2 and ME 9 ................

Some great CGs near Old Orchard Beach, Acadia NP and further up the coast and a LOT less expensive then the York/Wells Beach area which start at $50 up to over $100 a night. I paid $51 a night at Beaver Dam CG near Wells last week. Nice but us at 38 feet were cramped in possibly their largest site. Look at Sunset Point near Harrington (owner will steam you lobsters at market price) or Timberland Acres near Ellsworth/Acadia with huge sites. Narrows Too has a good reputation at Acadia tho we have not stayed there
Old 10-06-2019, 05:24 AM   #18
margerush
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20713
Thank you Dave, I had planned to stay @ Timberland Acres in Trenton, until I read that
I-95 had low bridges. I guess RV trip wizard was telling me underpasses are only 10'. Just have to be careful getting on/off interstate.
Toad: 2017 Jeep Wrangler
margerush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 07:20 AM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by margerush View Post
Thank you Dave, I had planned to stay @ Timberland Acres in Trenton, until I read that
I-95 had low bridges. I guess RV trip wizard was telling me underpasses are only 10'. Just have to be careful getting on/off interstate.

Interstates have to have 13'6" minimum overpasses and I-95 is a main route through Maine to New Brunswick and Atlantic Canada for commercial trucking.

The nice thing about Timberland Acres is the proximity to Acadia/Cadillac Mountain plus the Schoodic Peninsula of Acadia. It also is close to shopping/fuel in Ellsworth and the Union River Lobster Pot restaurant which is a great Maine Coast eatery and mostly a locals place. Sites 212 -218 have been our favorites.

If you get to Lubec, there is a Sunset Point CG there too - which we do not much care for though they are the only show in town if you want to go over the bridge to FD Roosevelt's Campobello Island - need your passport as it is in New Brunswick.

If you decide to make a pilgrimage to LL Bean, we like the Freeport/Durham KOA. Cedar Haven CG nearby is nice but anything over about 35 feet can be a problem we found after having to back out 2-300 yards when we left KOA at Saco (a few miles from Old Orchard Beach) isn't too bad either unless you get a site near US-1, We now prefer Kittery Trading Post over Bean but Kittery TP doesn't have the mystique but does have Bob's Clam Shack and a great seafood lunch that you can walk to from Kittery TP parking lot.
Old 10-06-2019, 11:11 AM   #20
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We have traveled I95 all the way to Bangor with our approx 13'6" SOB and everything is still on the roof.