Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #21
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Every transport system for a slide has its own operating parameters - and problems. A hydraulic slide does not operate like a cable slide so they aren't really comparable. The degree that a slide runs on a wear bar depends on the type of system, adjustment etc. A cable slide "does" depend on the darco running over the wear bar...it just does per BAL.

If you don't have issues with darco count yourself as a lucky person. As one of those that has had multiple problems with it and dealt with it....

sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 01:53 PM   #22
tom woodward
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25118
After our Montana 2016 slide would only go In So far and quit, popping the Internal cb we took it to the dealer. $5000 later everything worked fine. Two trips and maybe four slide extensions and our darco started to rip again. Took it back to the dealer and they taped it. I told them it’s going to happen again and i’ll bring it back again and don’t expect to pay. He said no problem. They’d rather do the repairs then build them right. Still looking for the manufacturer with the best quality build. Hell, I’d settle for an average build. Maybe Airstream??
tom woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 03:32 PM   #23
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
You might want to try this from Lippert. https://store.lci1.com/catalogsearch...de-Out+Slicker We use them for all three of our slides. It protects the darco and the carpets in the RV.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:30 PM   #24
pitman44
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25471
I went with this. Spray it on and let it dry. Did that a couple of times and tried the slide. In and out very smoothly. Now I spray it on a couple times a season. Make sure to let it dry before using the slide.

https://www.amazon.com/WD-40-Special...ustrial&sr=1-3
pitman44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #25
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Every transport system for a slide has its own operating parameters - and problems. A hydraulic slide does not operate like a cable slide so they aren't really comparable. The degree that a slide runs on a wear bar depends on the type of system, adjustment etc. A cable slide "does" depend on the darco running over the wear bar...it just does per BAL.

If you don't have issues with darco count yourself as a lucky person. As one of those that has had multiple problems with it and dealt with it....
Apparently now I have a slide issue. I have noticed of late the fridge side of the kitchen slide has been putting a mark on the floor. I looked under there today and apparently the wear bar stops short of the edge of the slide by about 2 and 1/2 in and it's digging into the underside of the slide floor.

Don't know if that we're bar was short like that from the factory. I'm going to attempt to adjust the slide upward so that it doesn't ride on the wear bar as much
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #26
woodman
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12256
Smile Slide out problems

A couple of us at our RV resort were experiencing problems with scuffing or black marks on our transition carpeting or linoleum from the large hydraulic operated slide-outs. The black marks deposited on the transition carpet and linoleum came from glue residue and bits of the black plastic from the OEM slide-out skis. Eventually, we found a large piece of black plastic and then another. So, we purchased the AP Product sled pack to buy some time.

Both Lipperts product and AP work the same. Below is an Amazon link to AP, if you're interested.

https://www.amazon.com/AP-Products-0...6102476&sr=8-2

Our dealer recommended replacing with the OEM plastic crap. We said, "No". We found a link to Duo-Form skis, which are an aftermarket product that's thicker and wider than the OEM, thereby partially addressing the issue. They cost about $81 shipped and are made by a company located just 8 miles NNE of Elkhart, Indiana. We found a reputable RV repair shop and had them installed, took a couple hours. The staff at the repair shop recommended we continue to use the AP portable skis as insurance. We have 3 slides on our 5th, which is now 4years old, and all the Darco material looks in excellent shape. No wear whatsoever. The slide out issue involved only one slide. I think the problem is two-fold, 1) the slide needs some adjustment and 2) the OEM skis are crap, thin plastic. As long as we have good moisture seal, I'm leaving it alone. I also believe that slide adjustments are often beyond the scope of most RV dealerships. We seemed to have solved the problem because it's working great now.
woodman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:16 PM   #27
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
You might try this!

I have a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL I bought new, equipped with the AccuSlide cable actuators. I was having some other problems with the kitchen slide (one side rubbing floor upon retraction and a displaced (rotated) lower right outside cable attachment angle bracket), so I checked this slide and the others to see if I could figure out what was going on. I was surprised to find that the living room/dinette slide and the bedroom slide run on rollers and the heavy kitchen slide ran on a wear bar.

I checked several YouTube videos then contacted AccuSlide, a sub of BAL, which is a sub of Norco, who evidently makes the slide. They replied promptly and recommended some adding rollers they'd specifically engineered for adding to Keystone trailers with the wear bar only slides. They also recommended a specific YouTube video to watch that specified parts needed and showed the guy installing them (you do have to jack up the slide enough to get it off the wear bar). They attributed the slide's rubbing the floor to a cable adjustment problem and gave me detailed instructions for adjusting them (after adding the rollers).

Bottom line, my brother-in-law did most of the work in less than a day, the slide works great, is level and doesn't rub the floor. However, the process wasn't without it's problems.

First, I had to "fix" the outside cable bracket problem which didn't bend but rotated into (bent inward) the side corner of the slide. I did this with some aluminum shims and longer screws, and it seems to be working. It appears to have either had a lot more force applied to it than the other cable attachment points or there is some sort of structural weakness at the attachment point.

The rollers come in both 1/2 and 3/4 inch sizes to match the wear bar height. AccuSlide told me to contact Keystone with my VIN and they could tell me my wear bar height. I did and they promptly said 3/4 inch, which I ordered from the vendor Accuslide recommended (inexpensive). Then I found that the wear bar was visible on both ends from inside the trailer. It was definitely 1/2 inch, so I ordered another set.

When I watched the YouTube video AccuSlide recommended, the guy easily ran the 1/4 x 1 1/4 self tapping screws in (from the side) with his battery powered drill. His trailer was a Keystone, but not a Montana series. We had to use a hammer drill to get the screws to go in. There is definitely a metal band or something around the High Country's floor that you have to drill through. Kinda scary, but evidently no damage done and those screws aren't going anywhere!

The last hassle was that the Accuslide instructions for adjusting the cables required removing the decorative fascia from the front of the slide, since the adjustments have to be done with the slide completely out, leaving no room to work behind the fascia. Of course, the fascia is just power brad nailed on, so it helps to have a power brad nailer to put it back.

I've included a pic of the installed rollers as well as one of the exposed wear bar.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3856.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	7860   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3857.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	7861  
Old Okie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 08:51 AM   #28
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Okie View Post
I have a 2017 Montana High Country 305RL I bought new, equipped with the AccuSlide cable actuators. I was having some other problems with the kitchen slide (one side rubbing floor upon retraction and a displaced (rotated) lower right outside cable attachment angle bracket), so I checked this slide and the others to see if I could figure out what was going on. I was surprised to find that the living room/dinette slide and the bedroom slide run on rollers and the heavy kitchen slide ran on a wear bar.

I checked several YouTube videos then contacted AccuSlide, a sub of BAL, which is a sub of Norco, who evidently makes the slide. They replied promptly and recommended some adding rollers they'd specifically engineered for adding to Keystone trailers with the wear bar only slides. They also recommended a specific YouTube video to watch that specified parts needed and showed the guy installing them (you do have to jack up the slide enough to get it off the wear bar). They attributed the slide's rubbing the floor to a cable adjustment problem and gave me detailed instructions for adjusting them (after adding the rollers).

Bottom line, my brother-in-law did most of the work in less than a day, the slide works great, is level and doesn't rub the floor. However, the process wasn't without it's problems.

First, I had to "fix" the outside cable bracket problem which didn't bend but rotated into (bent inward) the side corner of the slide. I did this with some aluminum shims and longer screws, and it seems to be working. It appears to have either had a lot more force applied to it than the other cable attachment points or there is some sort of structural weakness at the attachment point.

The rollers come in both 1/2 and 3/4 inch sizes to match the wear bar height. AccuSlide told me to contact Keystone with my VIN and they could tell me my wear bar height. I did and they promptly said 3/4 inch, which I ordered from the vendor Accuslide recommended (inexpensive). Then I found that the wear bar was visible on both ends from inside the trailer. It was definitely 1/2 inch, so I ordered another set.

When I watched the YouTube video AccuSlide recommended, the guy easily ran the 1/4 x 1 1/4 self tapping screws in (from the side) with his battery powered drill. His trailer was a Keystone, but not a Montana series. We had to use a hammer drill to get the screws to go in. There is definitely a metal band or something around the High Country's floor that you have to drill through. Kinda scary, but evidently no damage done and those screws aren't going anywhere!

The last hassle was that the Accuslide instructions for adjusting the cables required removing the decorative fascia from the front of the slide, since the adjustments have to be done with the slide completely out, leaving no room to work behind the fascia. Of course, the fascia is just power brad nailed on, so it helps to have a power brad nailer to put it back.

I've included a pic of the installed rollers as well as one of the exposed wear bar.
Do you have a link to the video that you watched, info on the parts source?
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 10:46 AM   #29
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
Tom,
The rollers can be purchased from:
Colaw RV Parts
10389 Cimmaron Rd.
Carthage, MO 64836
877-548-2125

The video referenced by the Accuslide rep is here:

Looking back on my notes from Accuslide, the rep said the rollers are designed to be slightly higher than the wear bar. There is one YouTube video out there that has you cutting sections of the wear bar out to mount the rollers--not necessary.

I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out. We'll see how it does in the long run.
Old 11-24-2020, 02:43 PM   #30
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Excellent. Thank you. Did BAL give you any guidance as to how many rollers per slide & placement of them?
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:19 AM   #31
Old Okie
Established Member

M.O.C. #23890
You're welcome! I didn't ask BAL for any guidance as to number of rollers but I probably should have. I just looked at the number of rollers on my other slides vs slide length and decided on four.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:03 PM   #32
Farrbee

M.O.C. #24635
Cable Slides Are Crap!!!

I have a 2015 Montana HC 305RL and I got it for a good price, but within about 6 months I had to have a lower directional pulley in the LR slide rebuilt (cost 3000.00), and then just prior to another trip I ran it in, and then it would not run out. The top will come in a small amount, but it won't go out. Can't even push it out and in trying to get it out I stripped the gears in the cable actuator. Don't know yet what it will cost to get it fixed but I'm about done with cable slide systems. I also believe Darco had something to do with the non-movement. It had started to wear when I bought the RV and it continued until this problem. I will update you all when I know what, why, and how much.
Farrbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 05:58 AM   #33
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I agree I will never own a unit with cable slides.. all four of mine are hydraulic and I have been trouble-free..
They sure don't build them like they used to. Anyway they can cheapen them up is what they're going to do
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 12:01 AM   #34
Jennifer Fuzion 414

M.O.C. #30811
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom N OH View Post
Excellent. Thank you. Did BAL give you any guidance as to how many rollers per slide & placement of them?

Here is Bal's guidance document on the number of rollers to use.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ACCU-Slide-Roller-Installation-for-Crushed-Wear-Bear.pdf (204.5 KB, 101 views)
Jennifer Fuzion 414 is offline   Reply With Quote