Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-09-2021, 10:20 PM   #1
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
KeyTV and Satellite issue any answers???

Has there been any answer to the KeyTV, satellite issue?? Been doing battle with this for a bit. I have seen boosters on line, has anybody used these with any success?
Thanks Rick

mtbuicknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 10:55 PM   #2
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Can you be a little more specific about the issue? Year and model of the RV, sat equipment you are trying to use, and what problems/symptoms you are experiencing. Key TV has limitations and problems and some choose to bypass it altogether while others have been successful making it work.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:11 AM   #3
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
I have dish network and have bypassed the keytv system in the convenience center. Only way to get multiple tvs hooked up to one satelite without drilling holes or through windows. I did use the cable lines that go from the convenience center to the tv wall switches. I would advise bypassing the wall switches for better service.
Old 10-10-2021, 06:53 PM   #4
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
2020 Montana High Country 372RD. Dish/Playmaker will not connect when using KeyTV. Hooking direct from Playmaker to the Wally works perfect. It appears that either the satellite has low signal strength or the KeyTV has too much resistance.
Thanks Rick
Old 10-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #5
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
also a note the wall box has two connections one for over air, the other for satellite. Now you can only use one of the wall connections, as their is just one cable connected on the back.
lewy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 09:49 PM   #6
lewy64
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #26365
to bypass the keytv and use the existing cabling inside the walls, undo the keytv box in the convenience center and pull it out exposing the wires. the first Cable connection near you should be the antenna connection the others will be labeled tv 1 and so on. tv1 is normally the main TV, the others will be the connection in the kitchen, bedroom, and then basement or outside.
Use these cables to bypass the keytv and go directly to the wall connections. Then either bypass the wall connections by removing th cover and connect the TV directly to the cable or connect to the satellite connection on the wall plate.

the cables are different colors so it is easy to find out which one goes where, just remove wall plate and check the cable color
Old 10-11-2021, 08:12 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The reason for the problem is that the type of antenna you have gets it's power from the reciever back thru the cable, thus splitters of anything else that lowers the power flow will cause the antenna not to work. Antennas that have their own power source will work fine, but ones that get their power from the recievers can be a problem.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:06 PM   #8
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
The antenna has adequate power, it's moving the internals. It's not getting a signal back to the receiver lock on the satellites. I am working on just running a dedicated line from the control center back to the wall.
Thanks Rick
Old 10-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #9
Mrwoodmin
Established Member

M.O.C. #28937
I had the same EXACT issue. I bypassed the KeyTv 100%. I traced what color cable comes from the keyTv box in the convenience center (which I had to remove a panel to get to) to the TV just to confirm I had the correct colored cable. I then ran a cable into the convenience center from the dish and connected it directly to the cable that feeds the tv. The cable is routed on the exterior of the unit (well hidden) up thru the service center and into the area where I disconnected the cable running to the TV at the keytv box. I also bypassed the two outlets tv/sat inside the rv so it was a direct dish to Wally connection. It works 100% perfect. Although I must say after doing this I no longer have the OTA option, which is fine because Im parked seasonally and do not move. The other option is to find a perfect spot to add a cable outlet and drill a hole from the exterior of the unit into the tv compartment and go direct but yet you keep the OTA option. Like someone said earlier, the keytv messes with the dish.
Mrwoodmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 10:59 AM   #10
Fuhrmama

M.O.C. #29341
Sat wiring default

I have a 2014 Montana 3582rl. Im currently running my dish sat cable thru window. I have used a cable tester. The results were the cable line from lvrm to conv cntr has a short. The Sat cable is showing an open source default. I really just want to fix the sat cable so i can close the wndw for winter. How do you find the cable run in the wall. I have a full length slide from lvrm to conv cntr.
Fuhrmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuhrmama View Post
I have a 2014 Montana 3582rl. Im currently running my dish sat cable thru window. I have used a cable tester. The results were the cable line from lvrm to conv cntr has a short. The Sat cable is showing an open source default. I really just want to fix the sat cable so i can close the wndw for winter. How do you find the cable run in the wall. I have a full length slide from lvrm to conv cntr.
Melody,

A dedicated line as you are doing is the best way to go. Many folks run a line through the slide so they don't need to run it through the window. The cabling in the rig does not work well with the low power Dish setup.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 05:27 PM   #12
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I haven't chased the RG6 cable all the way in my 2012 but I bet what I do know (or can speculate) is the same in your 2014. You should have multiple RF connectors. One for Cable, one for Sat to LR, and a third for Sat to Bed Room. The Sat to LR is a dedicated cable (no splitters or diplexors - those came later). that runs under the RV on the driver's side above the coroplast. At the back end of the slide it comes out from under the coroplast, along the wire loom to the outside edge of the slide, and then up through the floor into the slide compartment. Some models have a chase for the cable in the slide wall.

As AZ Traveler suggested, it might be easy to add a new RF connection to the slide wall direct to the Sat receiver. There are DIY connectors that screw to the outside wall or there is a flush mount suitable for the slide wall which is invisible when the RV is closed up. I remember someone posted pictures of the flush mount in thew slide wall previously here. The Search facility should be able to find it.

Old 10-14-2021, 07:54 PM   #13
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
So I have decided to run a new designated cable from the convenience center to the rear wall. It appears that the existing cables run in the ceiling?? My plan is to go through the belly and up the wall. Just have to figure out how to get up into the wall.
Thanks Rick
Old 10-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #14
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbuicknut View Post
... It appears that the existing cables run in the ceiling?? .....
Thanks Rick

The RG6 runs in the belly on my 2012 and I bet yours does too. There is no path, I know of, from the ceiling into a slide. Everything runs into the slide from underneath.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #15
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
My tv isn't in a slide, it's in the back wall.
Thanks Rick
Old 10-15-2021, 09:44 AM   #16
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It really helps a lot to get appropriate answers if you list your year and model number in a Post. Better yet, add it to your signature, which can be found in the User CP pane, then it is always there.

On a RE model, the coax will come up through the floor from the underbelly. Once again drop the coroplast and look around.

Old 10-16-2021, 07:23 AM   #17
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Contrary to your opinion, there is not enough power for the small dishes to operate “correctly”. I had our dealer and DirecTV both try to get our G2 (similar to yours) to work. They all gave up. That included bypassing KeyTV with a line direct from the box to the line coming from the Winegard Air 360+ with only a connector between them. The ONLY way to get it to work is a max 50’ cable directly from the dish to the power inserter (or, in your case with dish, the receiver). This is not a KeyTV or Montana issue. It is a Winegard issue. There is only enough power to get it to work (consistently) when it is wired direct from the dish to the power inserter or receiver (depending on if you have Dish or DirecTV). That has been our experience. My B-I-L has Dish. He sets his on the ground and on a recent trip, his Tailgator would not connect. He had an extra length of cable because of his location. Same as mine, would attempt to connect but wouldn’t lock on. Removed extra cable, boom, it worked.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 01:57 PM   #18
RandyH
Established Member

M.O.C. #26605
Satellite issues

2weeks ago I decided I was going to figure this satellite problem out. So here is what I found…My provider is Directv, I have 2 h24 hd receivers (one in LR and one in Bedroom)and use a King Quest automatic satellite antenna. I also have the EU 1000 universal controller. I added SWM8 multi switch with power supply. I used all rg 6 cable.This was used on a 2020 Montana 3121rl with key tv. So below are my findings.

Fist thing I tried
1. Cable from king quest main port to satellite port on key tv.
2. Receiver to satellite port behind LR TV
No satellite detected

Second thing I tried.
1. cable run from king quest main port to satellite port on key tv
2. Eu 1000 plugged into satellite port behind LR tv then to receiver. It was able to lock into the 101 satellite and give me tv but would not change to the 119 satellite for locals

Third thing I tried
1. I added the SWM multi switch and power switch. I plugged the quest main and aux into the multi switch and then the multi switch into the key tv satellite in port and used the power supply that came with the king quest on the main cable that went to the multi switch.
2. Plugged the power supply in behind the tv and from the satellite port to the power supply and to receiver
No satellite detected
3. I then removed the king quest power supply and replaced it with the eu1000 in its place. I hit the search button and it locked into both satellite
4 I now had satellite inside the LR and Bedroom on different channels. (The main receiver controls which satellite the antenna is on) BUT it would not change to the 119 satellite.
There is a diagram from keystone on the hook ups I’ve gotten on hear before.

My biggest takeaway is that it will only change satellites if the receiver is hooked directly to the antenna. I like the eu1000 because it locks into the satellites. I hope this helps
RandyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:12 PM   #19
snowmanfx4
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21279
I was at the Montana Rally in Indiana this year. Went to the KeyTV meeting. They said only one tv will work with the the dish. Have a 2021 now and this KeyTV sucks. Had a 2016 with a hook up for both living room and bedroom. Told the guy, should have left the damn thing alone. And we pay for that KeyTV.
snowmanfx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 07:40 PM   #20
mtbuicknut
Established Member

M.O.C. #29836
Well I bit the bullet today and ran a new run from the convenience center to the rear wall. Ran it all in the belly and in the rear wall. The KeyTV is still intact and operates as usual. Testing it tomorrow ran out of time. I was on Winegards site and they show some sort of power inducer????. Sent an email to see what they say.
Thanks Rick