Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2017, 06:25 PM   #1
jburnes

M.O.C. #18138
2nd A/C in a 30 amp 5'er.

I have a 32 foot 5'er that is 30 amp with only one a/c unit. I need to add another unit in the bedroom. There is already a "hole" in the form of a vent. I'm thinking that changing the unit to be able to handle another a/c would take way too much effort and cost (likely having to convert to a 50 amp) so I'm considering having a wire run from the a/c down the outside of the unit (or possibly inside the unit and through a wall) where I can simply "plug it in". Basically, it would have a male connector sticking out so I could feasibly just use a heavy gauge extension chord to plug it into 120 when I need to use the unit (June through September in TEXAS).

Have any of you ever done this? Or know a good resource I could use to reference on how to do this?

jburnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:21 PM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
If you don't have a washer and dryer in your unit, you can use that dedicated breaker as the power source. Best to have an electrician do the wiring for you.
jcurtis934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:08 PM   #3
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
It won't matter how many open breaker slots he has ... he won't successfully run 2 A/C's on 30 amps. He can do what he is thinking though and run a separate 14 or 12 gauge extension cord from the 15 amp plug on the power pole next to the 30 amp plug to directly feed the 2nd A/C. We've done it before in a pinch on an older fiver, but I don't know how well that works long term.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote