Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 05-30-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Norcold 1210 owners FYI

Last night we had a full blown toad choker down pour. About 3 inches in 45 min, but it kept raining hard for several hours. My Norcold already had the recall work done. About half way through the gully washer I heard the beeping of the fridge. It had a L1-op code listed on the display. That is an open high temp sensor line. According to the web site is has to be reset by a "Qualified" technician.... Well what I found was that it rained so hard that it blew in through the top vent and SOAKED everything on the back of the fridge and particularly the new little black box they installed as part of the recall. When I had the new cooling unit installed in Feb of this year it came with a new little black box, and since I never toss anything that works I kept the old box. I called the tech that did my work in Vegas and he told me to either take my old one and swap it with the WET one or take the WET one out, shake the water out and reset it by running a strong magnet over the little red light on the top of the box. I did both and also went to the local Norcold dealer and got a free replacement box. EVERYTHING I did worked. I put the old one in and the fridge worked, I ran a heavy magnet over the WET one and it now works, I also got a new box and IT WORKS. So next time we get a huge rain bath on the back of the fridge I have 2 spare boxes to use or 3 if I use the magnet again. My point is that you don't always need to run and find a technician when a little black box goes south. Try running a strong magnet over it. It can't hurt and it just could save those steaks in the freezer...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #2
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Dave, I've also heard that you need to be carefull when washing the Rig that you don't spray water into the Fridge vents and get the "Little Black Box" wet. I'm wondering if I can fab some sort of shield to help keep water out.
Old 05-30-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
I was thinking the same thing, like a split quart ziplock over it. But then you do have high temps in there sometimes. The rain came from the top and bottom, the entire back of fridge was wet when I checked it this morning. Not sure total rain fall since yesterday but it had to be near 4 inches. Now we have wind from that side and spitting rain.
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 05:27 PM   #4
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
After this same thing happened to me when I was washing the RV and the part was replaced under warranty I put a HD sandwich bag over it and have never had a problem since. The only way the water can get on it now is if it sprays straight up into the bag and that does not seem likely.
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
Good info. I am having problems with my Norcold now.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote