Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Another Marathon Eats It!!

This is the first Marathon to blow for me. Yesterday afternoon we were cruising along I-70 in Ohio just east of the Indiana border. Speed was 55, outside temp 98, concrete temp 110+. We heard a pop and immediately looked back at the rear of the rig to check for flying parts. There were none. So I looked for the first exit to check things out. We found a BP and went in and looked. the Rt front tire on the rig was very low so I started to fill it up. As I was filling it I noticed that the main tread area was humped in the center. When I hit 65 lbs the inner casing blew out the 5 inch hole in the sidewall under the rig. I called AAA and they got there in 25 minutes. He didn't have good jack so he had to use mine (12 ton) He started to put it under the tube and I corrected that. This morning we went to the local Goodyear dealer and I had to holler at his crew when they rolled the floor jack under the axle tube. The dealer could not get any Marathons for at least the next three weeks. He said they are all back ordered. Anyway I got a Carlyle to get me back to northern Wisconsin. Yah Yah I know Carlyle/Marathon/Mission I ony need it for 500 miles. As soon as I get home I will order my 17.5 rims and get the G-114s (4800 lb) rating. No more E rated tires for me and I can gt the Kelly G-114s for 210 each...

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Sorry you had trouble. But you got more miles out the Marabombs than most judging by the year of your rig.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
On our first 3400 we went with ALCOA aluminum rims and G-rated tires. When we purchased our Big Sky, we kept our rims and tires. Just replaced them, after 5 years, due to tread wear, with another set of G-rated tires.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 AM   #4
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

This is the first Marathon to blow for me. Yesterday afternoon we were cruising along I-70 in Ohio just east of the Indiana border. Speed was 55, outside temp 98, concrete temp 110+. We heard a pop and immediately looked back at the rear of the rig to check for flying parts. There were none. So I looked for the first exit to check things out. We found a BP and went in and looked. the Rt front tire on the rig was very low so I started to fill it up. As I was filling it I noticed that the main tread area was humped in the center. When I hit 65 lbs the inner casing blew out the 5 inch hole in the sidewall under the rig. I called AAA and they got there in 25 minutes. He didn't have good jack so he had to use mine (12 ton) He started to put it under the tube and I corrected that. This morning we went to the local Goodyear dealer and I had to holler at his crew when they rolled the floor jack under the axle tube. The dealer could not get any Marathons for at least the next three weeks. He said they are all back ordered. Anyway I got a Carlyle to get me back to northern Wisconsin. Yah Yah I know Carlyle/Marathon/Mission I ony need it for 500 miles. As soon as I get home I will order my 17.5 rims and get the G-114s (4800 lb) rating. No more E rated tires for me and I can gt the Kelly G-114s for 210 each...
Dave I would like to find out exactly how you jack up your tire with a bottle jack. I have a 20 ton bottle jack and with it blocked up under the jack I still can't get enough lift out of it to raise the tire off the ground. and also when you take them up that far they are very unstable to boot. Just curious is all.

What I do is one of two things. First one is to drive up on a 4x4 that I have to take the trailer weight off the other axle then jack on the spring bracket on the tube to raise the tire. Other one is take two jacks and raise the frame taking weight off then raise the axle to get the tire up.

Looking for better ways and ideas.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Dave.. Yesterday afternoon we were on Ohio I-71 southbound in the same conditions, 62 MPH. I was very concerned with Tire pressure and temp and using our TMPS checked the stats like every 15 minutes. We have General tires made in the Czech Republic. Much to my suprise the tires looked as if it was a 80 degree day as the PSI did not increase above what I consider normal. Our normal psi is 83psi. Have never seen it above 93/94psi in the hottest of weather.
This was hottest weather Plus humidity we have seen. Helen was driving and she asked...when should I panic. I said tire temp of 100psi and Xmittion temp of 200 and we pull over. It did not happen..I was impressed.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:11 AM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Champ_49
-snip exnavydiver post --

Dave I would like to find out exactly how you jack up your tire with a bottle jack. I have a 20 ton bottle jack and with it blocked up under the jack I still can't get enough lift out of it to raise the tire off the ground. and also when you take them up that far they are very unstable to boot. Just curious is all.

What I do is one of two things. First one is to drive up on a 4x4 that I have to take the trailer weight off the other axle then jack on the spring bracket on the tube to raise the tire. Other one is take two jacks and raise the frame taking weight off then raise the axle to get the tire up.

Looking for better ways and ideas.

Dave
Dave, I jack on the frame and carry two 3 ton jack stands. I jack as high as the 12 ton jack allows then put the jack stand under the I beam frame (making sure it is centered) then add height to the 12 ton jack and finish the job.
Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote