Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2006, 02:52 AM   #1
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Auot Former vs. Voltage Booster

Has anyone compared the differences between Hughes Autoformer and Voltage Booster, Inc. www.voltagebooster.com Autoformer is around 400-470 dollars depending on where you get them these are around 579 but they also have a built in surge protector. I understand Autoformer does not Checking to see if anyone has heard of them or used them.

Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 03:16 AM   #2
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
WE have the 30 amp Hughs Autoformer and it has the built in surge protector. I have never heard of other. We use it a lot whenever the power is low or fluxuating. You get some 12-18% more voltage. I always have a voltage meter pluged in on a wall socket to watch the current voltage. Low voltage will destroy a computer board in these ref, microwaves, and hot water heaters.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:39 AM   #3
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
I have seen thease advertised from Franks for a while now, but haven't seen any reports on them.

When we bought our A/F we also bought a Surge Guard and I remember making the comment, "I wish someone would put these technologies together". So It looks like Frank did just that.

The A/F does have minimal Surge/Spike protection. The TCI S/G has a very sophisticated Surge/Spike and over/under voltage protection.

If the one from Franks is using the same components of both items, I'd say He has a winner.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:13 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm. I am going to have to do some homewok here..sounds good and the price is not unreasonable IF it is as advertised.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 07:33 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the AutoFormer for nearly a year now. In fact it's this same RV park we are now in that gave us the electrical problems last year resulting in our purchase.
Here's some food for thought before running out and buying the Voltage Booster....
As azstar pointed out "The A/F does have minimal Surge/Spike protection" and in process of protecting the RV will give up it's life for us. That can make the A/F a very expensive surge/spike protector. But unless the Voltage Booster's surge/spike protector is separate from the voltage booster itself wouldn't you than loose both, the surge and the boost making the Voltage Booster the more expensive unit in that you would only have to replace the separate surge/spike protector and not the A/F unit. In my opinion having a separate surge/spike protector maybe the better way to go.
If nothing else I would at least be asking Voltage Booster about this.

On Edit...Take note that the published price is dated "Prices are effective as of 11/01/2004" Back in 2004 the AutoFormer was also a lot less. You may want to also verify that their published price ahsn't gone up. It would be a miracle If they haven't raised their prices since 04.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:26 AM   #6
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well I guess I can give you the first report on MOC on Voltage booster once I get it in. After talking with Frank at Franks Electronics he has two types to offer. One is the standard Bypass that is just like the Hughes Autoformer, the other is the SuperByPass which has very low current and high surge current shut down. According to Frank it will shut down and when power is restored to proper level it will reset itself and allow power to go back into the coach. I have order the Super unit will be in Friday and I can give it a test from there. If you look at getting a Autoformer plus a surge protector you are more than the 575 price tag. We will see how it works.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:36 AM   #7
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Rodney, I'll be very interested in your results.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:10 PM   #8
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by azstar

I have seen thease advertised from Franks for a while now, but haven't seen any reports on them.

When we bought our A/F we also bought a Surge Guard and I remember making the comment, "I wish someone would put these technologies together". So It looks like Frank did just that.

The A/F does have minimal Surge/Spike protection. The TCI S/G has a very sophisticated Surge/Spike and over/under voltage protection.

If the one from Franks is using the same components of both items, I'd say He has a winner.

Happy Camping
I had very bad results with one of Franks autoformers. Had both his 50 amp super bypass and 30 amp normal bypass units. Neither one worked properly. They didn't stand behind either one even though under warranty.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #9
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
I have a Hughes Autofromer that is permanently installed in my coach. We have stopped having problems with tripped breakers due to low voltage at the park post. I definitely recommend the Hughes Autoformer.

Here is a link to Hughes:
http://www.autoformers.com
Here is a link to my installation:
http://www.geocities.com/fulltimedre...ofrm_inst.html
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 12:23 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Just an update...As I had plenty of voltage in Florida, I hadn't used my AutoFormer since last fall. In the last 3 campgounds in Penna, Mass and New Hampshire we've had below 110V and I was ever so glad I had it. It has gotten a bit warm in the Northeast and without my A/F I would not have run my AC in fear of burning it up. Thank you AutoFormer!!
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 05:54 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The difference here is that the voltage booster has a built in Surge protector..Understand the Hughes does also but when tripped must be returned for repair. We are attempting to research the voltage boosters claims of dual use.Now we have a good Surge protector and were planning on the Hughes auto former.We have not been able to find much on the voltage booster.
ols 1932's comments are noted. That the Hughes A/F does the job is not in question..just attempting to determine if the V/B might do it better before purchasing the Hughes
Old 06-01-2006, 11:33 AM   #12
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I will do test on the VB once I receive it. they said I should have it by Friday. i am out of town on business in Vegas, yes Vegas baby. Next week I will try it out by using small 30 amp cord to drop the voltage on 50 amp service and throwing loads to it to see what happens and will replay next week once I find out what is fact or fiction.
The one thing I like about it was all in one theory. It is suppose to shut down once voltage spike it detected then come back on once it levels out, we will see.
Old 06-01-2006, 11:40 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will be watching for your test results.
Old 06-06-2006, 01:48 PM   #14
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Well it's here and permanently installed into the rig. Took about 3 hours to do everything, I checked the voltage before I plugged everything in at least a dozen times I think. Just wanted to be sure no problems. Anyway works great, I ran 75 feet of 30 amp cord to drop the voltage and it came on and busted it up from 101 VAC all the way to 123 VAC. Went straight to 50 amp service with 50 amp cord all worked great no boost due to proper voltage. Turned on 15K AC no boost all around 123 VAC, turned on second AC voltage dropped boost came on, could not see what it dropped to came on too quick for me to watch meter as I turned on 2nd AC. All seems to work fine, hardest thing about install was getting it into the hole where breaker box, and converter were at. Had plenty of room behind frig wall so I cut out space about 12x12 and used a air return cover to cover over the hole. This also gives it air to breath as well, I can look down and see the lights so I can tell when in boost as well. Could not figure out how to make high voltage over 130 too see if it would cut out or not. This unit also has two breakers on it for the surge protection as well. Please thus far. well give it big test next week, on vacation all week in Williamsburg, VA. Going to do the Bush Garden and Colonial Williamsburg thing with the family. Next improvement may very well be new hitch pin box. Looking at the 5th Airborne one.
Old 06-26-2006, 03:20 PM   #15
Montana_3956
Established Member

M.O.C. #3956
You're comparing two different devices like Oranges to Apples. An Autoformer will give you the correct voltage whether too low or too high. A booster is just that. It will raise your voltage. Suppose you have too much to start with. Will it make it worse? Be carefull & remember "Ya get what you pay for."
Montana_3956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #16
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by KC4KM

You're comparing two different devices like Oranges to Apples. An Autoformer will give you the correct voltage whether too low or too high. A booster is just that. It will raise your voltage. Suppose you have too much to start with. Will it make it worse? Be carefull & remember "Ya get what you pay for."
I agree. Sometimes it doesn't pay to go with something no one knows anything about. The Hughes autoformers are proven.

Orv
Old 06-27-2006, 01:28 AM   #17
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
You're comparing two different devices like Oranges to Apples. An Autoformer will give you the correct voltage whether too low or too high. A booster is just that. It will raise your voltage. Suppose you have too much to start with. Will it make it worse? Be careful & remember "Ya get what you pay for."

I believe you need to read up little more on both of them. Hughes Autoformer is exactly that a voltage booster, has transformer in it just like the VB utilizes. The difference being that the VB also has a surge protector built into the unit, the Autoformer does not. VB has high and low voltage shut down modes with separate breakers for each. So I think we have the best comparison of each that we can since there are only two manufactures that I am aware of that make these type of products. I do believe I got what I paid for and happy with it.
Old 06-27-2006, 03:10 AM   #18
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
If the product works use it.
As for reading a Voltage monitor, I have found that the monitor plugged into a recptacle in the kitchen may show voltage low (106-108 + - while pushing amp loads. I can look at the AutoFormer and boost is still not on. In this instance I take the Voltage monotor to my RV box outside where my Land Line plugs and it will read above 112 or more. I have rarely seen the boost come on, and when it does it is usually when everyone shows up at deer camp the same time. (9 trailers at camp)
For the record, I use the Autoformer with a surge protector that I have had for a few years. My trailer stays parked at my deer lease, so I am familar with power current readings there (Voltage monitor stays plugged in). I rarely need the Autoformer.
G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 01:13 PM   #19
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
G McCall

I also have the 50 amp autoformer and a 50 amp surge guard.I keep getting different suggestions on how to hook these two up.

Camp ground post-surge guard-autoformer-Rv cord
OR
Camp ground post-autoformer-sure guard-Rv cord.

My thoughts are that if I had the surge guard first and their was low or high voltage that the surge guard would cut the power off,making the autofomer not really doing any thing.

Anyway how do you hook your up???i`am thinking the autoformer should be first after the camp ground post.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #20
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If the CG voltage is above 102 volts, connect the surge guard to it, then the autoformer then the rig. If the CG voltage is below 102 volts, reverse the placement of the autoformer and surge guard.

Orv