Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2006, 09:07 PM   #1
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Its a long one

This is my first post complaining about a dealer but I have to get this off my chest.

We bought our 3685fl last November from a dealer in central Maryland about 2 hours from our home. We liked the Montana and were convinced by the salesman that they have a 5 star service department.
On delivery we found 9 items to be repaired or replaced. We were told to call the service department and set a date for the repairs. The assigned service manager went over the list and said they should have most of the parts in stock. We set a date where I could stay and take it home that evening.

The fireplace was inoperable
A speaker bracket was broken
The sofa fabric was pulling loose
The closer/opener was cracking the door
The freshwater tank fill pipe was leaking into the unit
The step into the living room was loose
A basement door was rubbing
The dining room light had a short
Carpet was pulling lose and the entire unit was extremely filthy
I decided to fix most of the items myself.

When I took it in the service manager said they could only fix the door, the water leak and would have to order the fireplace, speaker bracket and new sofa fabric. While waiting I noticed they had a new fireplace in the parts department. When I told the service manager he said it wouldn’t work. Frustrated I tried to tell him it was the same unit. I don’t think he wanted to install it that day. than I got the parts manager involved. To make a long story short it finally was installed.

After a short winter we left for our first trip south. The first day in Florida we noticed the freshwater tank would not fill, it appeared that the vent was clogged, the fantastic fan in the toilet room was not operating and water drip from the belly pan in the right rear corner. I called the dealer to schedule a time to make the repairs and repair the sofa because the fabric was finally in.

After 2 ½ weeks they called and said I could come and pick it up. On arrival, they told me the fabric didn’t work and that it may become a longer ordeal and I should be patient like 6 months wasn’t a long time to wait. They also said they dropped the belly pan, ran water, filled all the tanks and couldn’t find any leaks.
But they were able to fix one thing, the Fantastic fan. According to the paper work they replaced the circuit board in the fan.

When I got home I found my brand new cheater box plugged into the extention cord all scratched and full of mud. Then I started to look for my 50 to 30 amp adapter and it was missing. Now my blood is starting to boil. I called the service manager and he told me to send him a receipt for a new adapter and "oh well" he was sorry.

The story doesn’t end here folks, when I went inside, there was a big hole in the sofa and they didn’t do anything with the fan it still had the blue tape on it that they put there when I dropped it off.
I hooked up the water,tried to fill the tank and guess what,,,,,,, it leaks.

I took a few deep breaths trying to find my chee, than called our salesman. After hearing the whole story he told me he was going to have a meeting with the two owners tomorrow and would get back to me right away. I don’t want to go back. I spent 5 hours and $50 in fuel for nothing.

Bighorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Bighorn,
Thats one tough story. Hope your salesman can get you some satisfaction.
We bought our 2980 in November too. I've had to fix quite a few things on ours too.
It was just too far and expensive to take it back to the dealer.
One electric brake line shorted out.
The city waterline inside the trailer split and leaked.
Shower drain leaked
Lights in the sofa/dining room slide quit working
Rangehood and lights in the other slide quit working.
The stereo never really worked, replaced that.
I guess I was just too afraid to go to the dealer and have the kind of trouble you have had
so I managed to fix everything on my own.
The good news is, we took a 4 day trip last week and when we returned
I had nothing I had to fix, things are looking up.
Hope everything works out for you guys.
Take care
J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 10:20 PM   #3
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I must say you have handled this ordeal much better than I would be. I hope that your salesman has a much better answer for you than the service manager has. There is nothing more frustrating than getting the run around, especially when you made the list of problems to fix. Best of luck in getting your problems resolved.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 AM   #4
gojodo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5540
Would you be willing to share the name of the dealer (by private mail if you like), we just bough our first Montanta 3075 RL from a dealer in central Maryland. I'm asking just to prepare myself.
gojodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know that circumstances will differ with each individual. We will be doing the PDI the 3rd of May on our delivered 3400rl. The camper would not leave the lot with the issues you mention were found wrong with it on inspection. We have a 500.00 down payment invested in the camper and no further payment would be made till the issues were resolved. The fresh water tank leak alone would have been enough to stop payment till it was repaired.As long as you have control over the dealers dollars they will be more co-operative to satisfy you. We have to attempt to overcome the want to get the shiny new camper home. Many dealers rely on that and the result is what happened to bighorn and it is NOT bighorns fault..it is the fault of the dealer in not attending to the needs of the customer. When we go in for the PDI we need to be mentally prepaired to leave it there if it fails the PDI. As long as you or the bank have the check you have control.Now that a unit should come out of the factory with that MANY issues..is another story...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:53 AM   #6
Kathi
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3113
That sounds just like what we went through with Mike Thompson's RV in Colton. We left them with a list 1 month before we HAD to have the trailer back to stay in while our house got tented for termites. They fixed 2 things out of 10...Told us all the parts that they had ordered were wrong. Or that they misunderstood what was on the list...The list was very user friendly so we just took the trailer and when we got to Montana, parked it and then took it into Gardner's. They are picking up where Mike Thompson's left off. They aren't very happy about it either. They told me that they have been getting a lot of these kind of problems (Dealers not doing the work). Right now they have had the trailer for 1 month trying to fix all the things that weren't done plus putting in a new CCC unit which Mike Thompson's said there was nothing wrong with the remote unit...After I had printed out the entire thread which at that time was only 17 pages long. On paper by the way that was approx. 78 pages long. But Mike Thompson's got our money.....CASH MONEY AT THAT....
Kathi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:48 AM   #7
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Ya know. if the fan actually was repaired like they said and my 50 to 30 adapter wasn’t left on their shop floor, I would have tried to keep a positive attitude just because we love our Monty. But when I was told to buy a new adapter and send an invoice, that did it. The closest dealer to get one is 30 minutes away. The hookup at our house is 30 Amp.

I’m also in the service business and if I left something out of place in a home, I would be in my van driving to the customer’s house to make it right.

The more I look, the more I find. The access panel to the water connections in the belly storage had 6 screws now it only has 2. And for the life of me I can’t figure out how they dropped the entire belly pan (as they told me several times) without disturbing the original foam used at the factory to seal all the penetrations.

I don’t totally blame the dealer, I blame the Arrogant service manager for not doing his job, and I am kicking myself for not checking everything before I left. Now let’s see what senior management does to save a customer. I will refuse to drive there a third time for the same repairs. You know the old saying, 3 strikes your out!
Old 04-17-2006, 12:50 PM   #8
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
Update

This morning I faxed a 2 page letter to our sales representative and Cc the owners. They called back and thank me for the letter and mentioned they are using this incident to hopefully make some improvements in quality of service.

Our sales rep is going to continue to be the liaison between me and the service department and will honcho our issues till they are rectified.

He said they are trying to get the fabric sent overnight or to have it no latter than next week. Then they are going to send a truck to pickup our monty and take it back to the shop and address everyone of our concerns till they’re fixed. When they return it, a service guy will be there to look things over with me for my approval.

They also sent out a goody box with various power cord adapters for the misuse of my personal property.

I guess I can’t expect anything more than that.

I’m starting to become a happy camper again.

Ed
Old 04-17-2006, 01:17 PM   #9
sgf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #680
I feel for you with that dealer,if Craig is the service manager still he is one of the owners,check his last name.We bought our unit there and received the run around just like you.They lost our ceramic heater and never did anything for us.The unit had a small fiberglass bumb that had to repaired twice.When we took it it to them the one service guy with all the earings said they only way they could do it right was send it back to the builder,I said then do it, and he walked away.If your salesman is helping good luck, the sales manager is also one of the owners.The only way we finally got any satisfaction was to get Jeff Rank involved back then ,this was 2005.They finally got everything fixed slowly and to our satisfaction under the eye of Keystone.I know this is the same dealer cause they tape all the problems.Also one last note, last year on our last trip one of our landing legs quite working, called them up and they said out of warranty,we can order the part for you, thanks to this forum I got hold of Lippert and had the part in two days and installed it myself, no charge and they even paid return shipping on the defective part,Dale and George are great to deal with at Lippert.BTW, did you know the other dealer on route 15 that I won't mention the name of is a brother to one of the owner of this dealer.They had a falling out and he started his own rv dealership.He has the same last name of the Keystone dealer but is not a Keystone dealer, they sell HR's and Ceder Creeks.Just thought I'd let you know that if you decide to buy there again, you can get them in a price war and get a great deal, even though service sucks at both dealerships,must run in the family huh. Good luck.
sgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:42 PM   #10
Bighorn
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4626
sgf
I'm sorry to hear about your experience with _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ yes you guest right. Our service manager is the one that walked away from you. I do have faith in our sales person trying to help make things right.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #11
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
May I suggest you post a rating in the area on this forum for "Dealer Ratings"? Sharing your bad experiences may help others avoid the same problems.
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:54 PM   #12
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
BigHorn, sorry to hear you had to go through that frustration. Buying a new RV should be a lot less stressful. Like you and John, I bought mine in November as well and so far the only problems I had were a tire that would not hold air and it had a big plug in it. I phoned my Dealer and they shipped a new tire to me for no cost.

I had a small oil leak on one of the hydraulic fittings on my slide out pump.

That's it, a little sawdust and debris in the air ducts and furnace compartment but overall I was lucky or my dealer did a great PDI.

I hope you get all your issues resolved soon.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:32 AM   #13
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
Our thoughts are with you as you deal with this. You have been much nicer than I would have been. Our dealer in Panama City has been awesome, so we feel very lucky.
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 07:48 AM   #14
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
I feel your pain and I am sorry you are having to deal with this. The one thing I can tell you is document every little thing. Dates - in and out of service for each trip in, what it was in for, who you speak with, etc. Every little detail - write it down. Do not leave anything out. If you have a problem with the service dept do not hesitate to call Keystone and let them know. Try another service dept. I hope all of this gets worked out for you and soon!
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 12:59 PM   #15
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
Sixcampers what did you ever do about your saga?
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2006, 03:31 PM   #16
Montana_2913
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2913
Thanks for asking Broome101. I will have an answer to that question by the end of the week or beginning of next week. We have hired someone in the RV industry to come out and look at the camper. Keystone has been in contact with us and depending on the outcome of the report from the company we hired we will know if we are willing to do what Keystone is suggesting. I will let you know when I know what we are doing
Montana_2913 is offline   Reply With Quote