Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2013, 04:19 AM   #21
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by simonsrf

.....And, we don't buy fuel in California if we can help it...
Robbie you might want to re-think that position. CA diesel is cheaper than OR and WA based on our recent travels through those states.
Today's best diesel prices from Gas Buddy:

Sacramento $3.73 / gal.
Portland $3.65 / gal.
Seattle $3.84

Washington almost always has higher fuel prices.

simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 08:24 AM   #22
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I understand why Robbie made the comment on California fuel. When I traveled those three states, most California prices were higher. The biggest problem with using Fuel price search apps is that the cheapest fuel is not where I was, so I paid what was local. With a bigger aux tank I can plan my refuel stops better even in California.

The story where I live. I fueled up where I live for $3.85 on Thursday cuz we were going on a long trip on Saturday (WOW! Thats a great price). When we returned home on Saturday evening the price was $3.93 at the same station as we drove by on our way home! We thought we'd top off the tank prior to the return home at our destination, but the price was $3.89 so we figured we'd wait, oops. Fuel prices change too quick (mostly for the worse) around here.

No we didn't use I-10 but the other roads were just as horrid. At least we averaged 19.8 mpgs with a full truckload and 90% highway driving. If we had an aux tank, refueling would not have been a consideration.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #23
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
Bingo - I thought you were going to go with a wedge tank (maybe I missed change of plans - been on the road the past month and just got home last week). Any rate you will love the extra fuel capabilities. Not only can you shop for better fuel prices, you should also be able to only fuel at places that are much easier to get in/out of. Nothing worse than needing fuel someplace where it is a real tight fit with a trailer (sometimes even with out) and you have no choice.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 10:12 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Rick,
Picture is deceiving, it is a wedge tank in that the upper portion of the tank facing the hitch is sloped. Here is a view of the tank that shows the slope somewhat before the tank was installed:

Bingo

bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 12:35 PM   #25
Jay Bird
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6831
Great install Bingo. As with many others, I also find the advantage of having an aux tank installed.
Jay Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
Icehouse
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7893
I too have had an auxiliary tank for several years. I can carry a total of 135 gallons of diesel. Makes a huge difference when traveling across state. I definitely agree with being able to "shop" for fuel based on price - not need. At a current BEST price of $4.19 per gallon, I shop around.
Icehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #27
mobilcastle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11759
Nice mod-thanks for the pictures-I ordered one about a week ago and mine is 60 Gal and will fit under my tonneau cover. I think it is 13" in height. If anyone is looking check out Amazon. They are sold through Northern Tool Co and the shipping is less at Amazon. I want the added range and convenience to fill up less.I ordered the install kit but I am thinking about putting on a shut off valve if it does not have one.
mobilcastle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #28
RJI47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6002
Send a message via AIM to RJI47 Send a message via Yahoo to RJI47
I installed a 60 gal. aux tank about 1-1/2 years ago, and have never regretted it for a second. Mine also allows me to close the toneau cover when not towing. It also has a shut-off valve, which I seldom if ever close. The convenience of not having to fill up so often was my main reason for getting it. Going from MA to FL, I only have to fill up once on the road, and if I'm not pulling, I can do the whole trip with no fill-ups and still have about 140 miles left in the tank once I get there. I also have a guage on mine, but when it's got fuel in it, the OEM guage on the dash always reads full. Once it starts to move, I know the aux tank if empty.
Good luck with yours Bingo. I'm sure you'll love it
RJI47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 01:40 AM   #29
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mobilcastle

I ordered the install kit but I am thinking about putting on a shut off valve if it does not have one.
The installation kit for the gravity feed from RDS does come with a shut-off valve that is installed at the outlet of the tank itself. Actually, it has to be installed as part of the gravity line hook-up.

Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote