Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2011, 04:33 PM   #1
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Replacing the converter

Lightning has struck near our camper and obviously has killed my converter. I heard it utter the death growl. Now when I turn on the beaker, it kills the entire 120v to the entire unit.
Is the converter located behind the electrical breaker panel in my 3295? I believe that it is, and have had the panel off a few times to tighten all the lugs on it, but I don't remember. Any help or even pictures if you have then would be of great help.

Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 PM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Jim,
Yes it is behind the power panel in the bathroom. It should be an IOTA like the spare one in my shop.
Semper Fi,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 03:54 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
If you need to change it out, I would like to recommend a different brand for your replacement. You can check out this 80 amp converter with a step-down charger here. http://www.progressivedyn.com/prod_details/rv_conv/rv_converter_pd9280_2.html
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:14 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Check this out:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=43486
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
I have a surge protector and a power guard that I use at all campground pedestals. That way I know that the pedestal is correct and it will shut off power during surge or low periods to the unit. It is a portable one, and hooks up between the shore power cord and the pedestal.
I was not using it at the home. Only have the Rv hooked up to 15 amps, to run a small fan and to keep the battery recharged. We were struck by the tornado on April 27th here at my homein Collegedale TN and at my work spot in Ringgold for the US Postal Service. Had a severe storm that struck us last tuesday evening, and a lightning strike hit in our backyard. It threw half of the breakers in the house, and electronics on that circuit were protected by surge protectors that gave their lives for lcd tv, satellite and computer. But the camper was not protected like that,and when I checked it out on Saturday, saw that the 20 amp breaker for the converter was thrown. When I turned the circuit back on, the converter growled, then smoked. Sure it was burned through, as it also popped the household breaker that held that circuit.
When I replace the converter, I plan on putting the 50 amp surge guard on it so it will shut off to the camper when it picks up the amp overage.
How extensive is the changing of lines for the new converter? I assume that it will be just swapping line for line and then making sure all the lugs are tightened?
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
You are correct, just changing the converter out. Good move for everyone to have a two pole circuit box surge protector in the home. That would have saved the Rv as well
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 05:09 AM   #7
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
We went so far as to add a cheap surge protector to the converter (we have a SurgeGuard as well).

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=44659
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #8
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
That was item I was looking for!
My main reason for the big surge guard, was to protect the unit from bad pedestal wiring, and to allow the unit to shut down during brown outs or big surges. Never thought I would need it at home also.
Old 07-03-2011, 04:40 AM   #9
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Converter is replaced. 30 minte job from start to finish. About 50 dollars worth of extra copper wire in that area. For those with the 3295, once you take the power panel off, the converter lays on top of the washer closet with its own plug in.
Answered another question while I was at it. Capturing a 12 volt power for a new automatic awning will be easy to without fishing a lot of wire. Thanks for the help!