Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2020, 07:12 AM   #61
datadr

M.O.C. #26286
Actually, I agree with you beeje. Our RV fridge has been flawless, and we even have rock-hard ice cream, but it's a smaller 8 cu ft and we don't camp in extremely hot places, so it does the job. However, our plans are to do more full time roaming in the future, and I would easily consider (and likely prefer) a residential. Yes, I'll plan to rig it with ample modern solar and battery for long trips off-pedestal, but we don't boondock (ever), so it's an option.

My point above is that Haylett is misleading folks with what he's stating. He's spouting FUD.

datadr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 07:26 AM   #62
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Agree on the misleading - think you are correct on the outside air temp having an impact. The other big thing is starting it at the correct time so it defrost in the coolest part of the day.
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:32 AM   #63
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
I dont get all they hype about "residential size" fridge is a MUST HAVE in rigs. We have one in ours but big whoop de dooo.
2 months ago we had adult kids and grand kids with us (yikes) we never had it filled up with food. That was 7 people.
Plus It's not like we are leaving a civilization and cant get to a store.

Maybe I am missing something. Regular RV fridge is ok for us.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #64
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
This video, his video is just an exercise showing his stupidity.
The doors come easily off these fridges, been doing it for years in the appliance business.
With the fridge doors off the body of our residential is 25" deep. Our entrance door is 28" wide.
Therefore anyone that should suggest taking a slide out to remove a residential fridge is plainly full of ....
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:39 AM   #65
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
We half time (aka snowbird) in ours w/res refer. Have completed three seasons and not a problem. in our previous rig w/rv fridge I would have to defrost it twice each winter. You could never fill it up completely as you need air flow or it all warms up, we can pack the resi right full and it all stays cold. And the ice maker is soo much better than those tiny ice cube trays. We don't boondock so that's a non issue and our hybrid battery the dealer gave us has no problem while we travel.
When we bought our 5er I got a lifetime warranty mainly for the slides and refer. If the fridge goes out our dealer will just replace it without issue. He has done the microwave twice so far.
I think the bottom line is: if you boondock by all means you should go with an rv fridge, if you don't you have the choice of which ever you prefer.
As for brand, I have had many salesmen badmouth different brands and it's always the one they don't sell. I have several Samsung products from cell phone to fridge and none has been a problem. Our s&b appliances have had only one issue in 15 years and that was the compressor in our Amana fridge which is suppose to be the best make out there.

In the end we would not go back to an rv fridge, but again that is a matter of taste.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #66
Alan & Jan
Established Member

M.O.C. #25833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan & Jan View Post
The GM at Gander Outdoors/Camping World where we actually purchased our 5ver had his warranty person contact us yesterday. She had already been through our circumstances with other customers with Samsung so was aware of the issues and was very helpful. She contacted Keystone CS on our behalf and received a committment for them to pickup the difference in our cost vs the Samsung reimbursement and pay a reasonable install fee for the fridge labor in/out of our 5ver. Our new fridge is supposed to arrive from Samsung on 15 Aug so fingers are crossed we can be whole shortly thereafter and this plan will go as discussed.

I am impressed with the assistance from Gander. I wished I had talked to the GM sooner rather than those I did speak with initially, would have saved headaches but is water (and a bunch of ice) under the bridge at this point. I share this with the forum to be fair to those who are helping us now.
Well I spoke to soon. The fridge came in and the crew that replaced it had to remove the stair asssembly and the door assembly as well as completely dissassemble the old and new fridges to make the replacement happen. I was there the entire time and took pictures when it became obvious the additional work was required or the slide would have to be removed as the alternate method to replace the fridge. Needless to say, the way we did it was by far the lesser of 2 evils.

I submitted all my paid receipts to the Gander people and was instructed neither they or Keystone would pay for the additional labor. I argued had Gander performed the replacement at their store and it required the considerable extra work would they just absorb the additional cost themselves or would they expect Keystone to pay the difference? Ive gotten no answer, no return email, no return phone call.

We took our unit out the following weekend for the first time since June since we now had a working fridge. A nut with locking star washer had come loose under the slide in the living room. When the slide was extended, it forced the nut into the flooring which gouged the crap out it to the plywood below in several places. I called Keystone to ask about concerns; was the slide coming loose or something else eminent with a large bolt with no nut on it? They gave me a case number and said make appointment with a dealer. I assume new flooring will have to be ordered, wonder how long that takes to get? The soonest appointment to just look at it initially is 10 weeks out which is about the time the fridge might have been finished had I waited on the dealer to process that problem rather than making it happen myself. So the last 2 trips in this RV have had failures requiring appointments that were 2-½ to 3 months out for initial consult and the fridge would have been another 2 months to acquire and install. Who knows how long getting the flooring replaced will take and that is assuming the slide just needs a nut and bolt replaced vs something major. The fireplace broke earlier in the year and took 7-8 weeks to get replaced. Something breaks everytime we use the RV. Note to self, NEVER EVER buy another Keystone product or anything from Gander.
Alan & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:01 PM   #67
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippydoo View Post
... we never had it filled up with food. ...
Wow! That's just terrible. What a waste of space! Here's what ours looks like when we are HOME! Imagine what this thing looks like when we are actually traveling. You "could" replace all those soft drinks with beer and keep it stocked 24x7x365!

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #68
Phabask
Established Member

M.O.C. #13855
We replaced our rv fridge in our 3700 fifth with a residential Samsung after replacing the cooling system our the rv fridge 3 times the last one was the Amish unit, got tired of rotten veggies and piss warm milk, we don’t have any converter for it on travels. It’s been unplugged for multiple long periods, it stays cold when traveling and use rapid cool on the freezer and fridge when we 1st connect to shore power,we’ve put on a good 15k miles, won’t go back to rv style fridge
Phabask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 08:57 PM   #69
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
Our 2020 Montana 3701LK has been sitting dead in the water due to the Samsung fridge dying after less than 100 hours of use. Bad compressor, Samsung offering about $300 less than actual replacement cost and WILL NOT send replacement fridge, only coupon or credit. To get into a "Keystone authorized dealer" to receive actual 1st year warranty service requiring they diagnose what Samsung tech has already condemned in writing is 2 months after failure occured then as much as 3 weeks before they actually look at it but RV guys cant actually work on it-they have to call Samsung tech which we already did per their original instruction when we originally called them! Then when they order, they will find its at least 4-5 week delivery due to kungfu virus manufacturing delays. Holy runaround Batman. Bottomline: if we do nothing but wait our turn for Keystone dealer and Samsung to screw us around, we will lose a bit over 3-1/2 months of use out of our first 10 months of ownership on this RV for the dead fridge. We already lost 6 weeks waiting for other repairs to be done earlier in the year. We have contacted Keystone directly for assistance to no avail. Camper World where we bought what we thought was a high end product has been zero help.

Our summer travel plans are completely ruined. To try and save our fall plans, we have ordered the Samsung replacement ourselves with money from our own pockets and will find someone to help us get fridges in/out our RV. We will send all invoices to Keystone in hopes they have some honor and will reimburse us the difference in our out of pocket expenses. Needless to say there will be no compensation for our lost summer and numerous headaches fighting this problem. We have little confidence we wont be stranded somewhere far from home with some other problem this fall given the track record of this Montana to date.
I read this and your following post and wonder as a new owner why you did not just call a refrigerator repair man? I full time and if my refrigerator went dead that’s what I would do, am I wrong?

You later post that you are mad at Gander/Camping World and at Keystone for a defective Samsung product. I understand being upset but I’m betting the way it works is that Keystone pays Gander a fixed amount and Samsung pays Keystone a fixed amount and all the way around it is a pain and an expense for everyone, in other words I’m sure nobody wants this to happen especially you.
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 10:55 AM   #70
Alan & Jan
Established Member

M.O.C. #25833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob and Jeannette View Post
I read this and your following post and wonder as a new owner why you did not just call a refrigerator repair man? I full time and if my refrigerator went dead that’s what I would do, am I wrong?

You later post that you are mad at Gander/Camping World and at Keystone for a defective Samsung product. I understand being upset but I’m betting the way it works is that Keystone pays Gander a fixed amount and Samsung pays Keystone a fixed amount and all the way around it is a pain and an expense for everyone, in other words I’m sure nobody wants this to happen especially you.
When the fridge failed, our 2020 model was 8 months old and still in its first year warranty for everything. We called Keystone for instructions then called the closest dealer per their instructions. That dealer told us it would be 2 months before they had room for us to bring it to their lot and another 2-4 weeks before they could look at it OR, we could/should call Samsung directly because thats what they would do once it was my turn at their shop. All said and done without rehashing the details, had we gone through that dealer, we would have a fridge and RV back sometime in October 4-6 weeks from now. I took the initative to get it done faster and asked Gander as the selling dealer to help with reimbursement from Keystone. After all my efforts and getting the work completed, they both have been very slow reimbursing and yes, the payment process is as you stated above with me as the final "dealer". Thats why Im frustrated with those 2 parties.

Having owned a service industry contracting business for the last 37 years, I have a very good understanding of all sides of this type of situation and know companies can respond faster if they choose to. Had I operated like this, I would not have had a business after a few months much less 37 years.
Alan & Jan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 11:32 AM   #71
Bob and Jeannette
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22589
Quote:
When the fridge failed, our 2020 model was 8 months old and still in its first year warranty for everything. We called Keystone for instructions then called the closest dealer per their instructions. That dealer told us it would be 2 months before they had room for us to bring it to their lot and another 2-4 weeks before they could look at it OR, we could/should call Samsung directly because thats what they would do once it was my turn at their shop. All said and done without rehashing the details, had we gone through that dealer, we would have a fridge and RV back sometime in October 4-6 weeks from now. I took the initative to get it done faster and asked Gander as the selling dealer to help with reimbursement from Keystone. After all my efforts and getting the work completed, they both have been very slow reimbursing and yes, the payment process is as you stated above with me as the final "dealer". Thats why Im frustrated with those 2 parties.

Having owned a service industry contracting business for the last 37 years, I have a very good understanding of all sides of this type of situation and know companies can respond faster if they choose to. Had I operated like this, I would not have had a business after a few months much less 37 years.
Sorry for your trouble and I have to say it is a fear of mine with the supply and demand for RVs and parts so great. My question is if my compressor went bad and I called a repair guy out from a local appliance shop couldn’t he just fix it like at home?
Bob and Jeannette is offline   Reply With Quote