Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Brake controller

Has anyone had a problem with the new Ford integrated brake controller? We keep getting trailer disconnected alert. Took in to Ford dealer and didn't find anything wrong? Called Keystone, since we were in the area but said to call local dealer who couldn't look at the next day and we were moving on after that. Will be taking truck in tomorrow to be checked and the monty on the 25 th. (on the road again till then)

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:06 AM   #2
jayers
Established Member

M.O.C. #2876
Bill

Look under TV & Towing there is a post about the same problem you are having its about five pages long.
jayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Like John says check out the thread.... 05 Ford Brake controler error messages.... chances are your problem is in the trailer and not the TV. Look at my post on page 2, I lost trailer brakes first trip out.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 05:48 AM   #4
WildBigBill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2149
Checked out other info and agree that the trailer wiring is the problem,just got back from ford dealer and truck checked out ok. Let you know what monty dealer finds on the 25th.

WildBigBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Bill, nice TV & 5er combo :-)

I posted the same disconnect issue and update toward the end of that thread, the one where the dealer replaced some "scotch clips" and fixed a kink in the in-bed plug installed at another dealership where I purchased the 3400.
Since picking up the 5er we've pulled on several mid week trips and put about 700 miles on "The Villa" with no more disconnect messages.
As others posted, wires, clips, and magnets were problems on some, so far, the kink and scotch clips seems to have fixed my issues.
Best of luck for a speedy resolution...

jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 01:08 PM   #6
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
Guys I posted this in the tow vehicle section earlier. I have had my Monty fixed from stem to stern. They fixed loose wires, wheel connections, and complete new 7 pin cable. Hooked up and headed home. Got about 10 miles and the same errors appeared. I am headed to the dealer next week. Called today and got an appointment. Will keep you posted. I have been out on the Ford forum and seen where vehicles made prior to March 05 had voltage issues. My truck was built in Jan 05. The fix was to reprogramm the PCM to effect the fix.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 07:44 PM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
O.V., are you saying the voltage change is effected by flashing a computer? I thought the solution was replacing the controller with one built after 3/23/05. I've been in contact with Ford Satisfaction about replacing mine since I need that voltage to pop the slider. They agreed to take care of this and were contacting the dealer in Independence, MO, but that dealer said he'd have to order the controller. We were leaving next day so decided to wait and get it done when we arrive where we arrived today. So I need to contact Ford again about this.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 03:59 PM   #8
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
I’m kicking myself for not staying in touch with the forum for too long. We’re presently at a KOA in Streetsboro, OH, and enjoying Wi-Fi.

I have been dealing with intermittent “Trailer Disconnect” alarms for a week, now. I even had a few “Trailer Fault” alarms. I thought for sure I had it fixed after looking at the bed-side connector I had installed when the hitch was put in. The wires leaving the connector were pressed hard against the inside of the fender well, and then the bundle was wrapped under the end of the connector, also pressing against the fender well. I undid that mess, and took the connector apart, and found nothing loose or shorted. The crimp-on splices were suspect. But in no case was I able to cause a fault while flexing the wiring, or stressing the splices.

While I haven’t been under the lower covers of the trailer, searching out the brake wires, I have double-checked the hitch harness, and the splice box on the pin box. I looked over, and stressed the exposed wiring near all the wheels. No loose or shorted wires to be found.

No matter how much I thought I had “fixed it,” I am still getting that dang fault. No matter how frequently it’s on, though, I still have trailer brakes when flipping the paddle. And it seems only to be an issue after we’ve been on the road for at least half an hour.

In the Ford manual, it seems to claim that once you get that “Trailer Disconnect” alarm, it stays on until you turn the key off and back on. WRONG! Mine comes and goes of its own accord. I haven’t been to a Ford dealer who is ready or equipped to scan for codes, or even discuss brake controllers, yet. Having bought the truck in Alabama, and not being ready to go back there until late fall, I will have to try to get Ford to admit to some flaw. And from the posts I’m reading, here, it does seem as though someone’s gotten Ford to at least admit to something.

I’m going to keep checking, and hope someone comes up with a fix.

Oh, and I’m not dismissing that some trailers surely much have some wiring, or even brake solenoid problems. But this just smells of a flaw in the controller. Especially since it’s going away on its own, without me having to shut the thing off. And at some times, if I pop open the small compartment under the controller, it seems that I can exacerbate the problem by rapping on the controller, and tugging on the harness.

And isn’t there some flaw in the computers on the 2005 Super Dutys, that Ford needs to fix? Something about fuel control? I have yet to see a recall on any Ford site. But some sites have mentioned the problem, and foretold of a recall.

Thanks, all!

Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:16 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I had trailer disconnect errors and the problem was a broken wire in the left front wheel.. I had to look hard but it WAS a trailer problem..These TBC's pick up problems that other controllers won't.Just my opinion but I think that MOST..if not all problems are with the trailer. My errors were intermitent for a long time then went solid when the wire finally broke off..The errors would self correct..the little trailer symbol would flash red and ding then go green..then red and ding.. it might run for 100 miles with no problem..then red, ding,green,red ding green.. By the way the wire that broke was inside a crimp on connector so I could NOT see it was loose till it worked its way OUT of the connector.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #10
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

Good advice. The many posts on the subject under Towing and TVs seems to show that it's quite often turning out to be in the trailer. It's just that I am not in a good position to start dismantling my trailer. (Here a day, there a day.) I may simply give Montana a call, and let them know that I'll be in Indiana in September. If I was already wintering in Alabama, I'd tow it down to the dealer I bought it from. They're great at fixing stuff, and don't lie about what they've checked. I don't know that about other dealers. Sounds like some may not have delved deeply into what seems to be under cover within the brake drums! Plus, I don't have a brother-in-law's place handy, up here in Ohio, to drop the wife and dogs with if any other dealer were to take a look at this.

Steve
Old 07-22-2005, 03:53 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My broken wire was easy to spot once it came loose..had it not pulled out from the crimp on connector. I would never have seen it. I still had three wheels worth of brakes but the ding..ding was driving us nuts. Town and Country Rv In Clyde Ohio (near Toledo) is a Montana dealer and Real good on warrenty and repair work.
Old 07-22-2005, 07:26 AM   #12
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I may have to see if my Mrs. can locate a place to stay while we see if we can visit that dealer.

The more I read, the more it seems the problem may not be in my truck.

Not to mention the Ford manual doesn't look promising about getting a fix under warranty. They seem to deal with the IBC differently than the rest of the truck. As though it's just an add-on, rather than something I bought with the truck. Unless the computer coughs up a TBC, (Trailer Brake Controller,) error, Ford seems to be saying it’s the trailer’s fault.

Steve
Old 07-23-2005, 02:58 PM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Check out Saftey Bulletin 2005-1 0n the 05 TBC.It gives a good explaination of how that thing works.My Truck was built 2/05 so it has the early TBC however Ford will not authorize a replacement unless you "have a problem" with the TBC..well I " had a problem" so I will use that problem to have the TBC replaced..

Old 07-23-2005, 05:17 PM   #14
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I'm going to admit to being lazy, and wanting to get Ford to test that thing out, before I get the trailer into a shop and wait for them to undo all the wheels.

I'm guessing that I could undo the wheels, if so inclined. But I'm lazy enough that getting Ford to at least run codes sounds much better than coping with heat and humidity to undo wheels and hope to spot a flaky wire.

We may linger here at Streetsboro a couple extra days. I’ll have to go grab a service tech directly, after calling the local shop and getting voice mail without a call back, yesterday.

Wish me luck!

Steve
Old 07-24-2005, 08:22 AM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Thats a good plan Gyro..Note that some of the wiring for the Electric brakes are OUTSIDE the hub.There are usually two wires per wheel going into the hub from the rear (were you can't hardly reach them) and were they are most likely to break due to road junk and flapping in the wind. Thats where mine broke and it was a easy fix..once I found it..have NOt had any trouble with errors in over 800 miles traveled since the fix.However I am going to have the TBC replaced when we get home since we have the early model TBC...just in case. The thing with running the codes is that the errors are usually so intermittent that it will most likely be "normal" when the tech looks at it.Won't hurt though.

h

e
Old 07-24-2005, 10:19 AM   #16
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

In between storms, while still up down in Southern Ohio, I did manage to get to all the exposed wiring to each wheel. Couldn't see a problem, and certainly couldn't duplicate the dang alarm, while tugging and wiggling said wiring with my wife listening and watching in the TV's cab.

Steve Reigle's said that there's a problem at idle with the early TBCs. Ford will replace them if you have a problem. Something to do with not enough voltage at idle for the thing to properly function. My trouble is at highway speeds. And I can't duplicate it when standing still.

Was yours a break at one of the splice points just outside the wheel housing? I can take a closer look at mine if that's likely. I did tug on those points, however, and the alarm stayed silent. I was kinda guessing that if it’s the trailer’s wiring, it’s inside the wheel’s housing(s).

This’d be a good time to have the brakes adjusted, too.

We’re lingering an extra day, here in Streetsboro, just so I can talk to Town & Country RV, near Toledo, and see if I can get an appointment.

Steve
Old 07-24-2005, 10:46 AM   #17
Northstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1757
Rich, I have started getting disconnect errors on my '05 Ford F350 TD. Since I will be in Indiana later this week I will have Keystone troubleshoot my coach. Will give an update after my visit with Keystone.
Northstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2005, 11:05 AM   #18
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

Check out Saftey Bulletin 2005-1 0n the 05 TBC.It gives a good explaination of how that thing works.My Truck was built 2/05 so it has the early TBC however Ford will not authorize a replacement unless you "have a problem" with the TBC..well I " had a problem" so I will use that problem to have the TBC replaced..
Rich,

I just tried Googling the safety bulletin, and couldn't find it. Even from the Ford site.

Do you have a link or a copy that you can post?

Steve
Old 07-24-2005, 11:08 AM   #19
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Gyro...My problem WAS at the splice point just outside the wheel houseing.I had checked it several times and it looked ok but it finally pulled out of the splice where I could see it. Try NOT tugging on the splice points but PUSH IN on the wire. Steve Reigle is correct about the problem on the early TBC not providing enough voltage at idle and since I have one of those I WILL have it replaced but I do not beleive that is causing the errrors at speed.As Steve stated and I echo these TBC's are very sensitive and pick up trailer problems that other controllers may not.Not to mention that trailer wireing is a nightmare, very haphazard and many wires flapping in the wind.that is not good.Note that I do not yet have the Montana yet my Rv is a 96 Terry TT. One of the first things I did 10 years ago was to get under the TT and tie down or re run all the Hanging wires.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #20
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
Rich,

I'll be gentle with the checks. But since it's all visible, there's no problem with my laziness getting in the way.

I was so sure it was the way the bed-side connector had the wiring all scrunched up against the inner fender wall, too....

Steve