Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2005, 03:33 AM   #1
Montana_1774
Established Member

M.O.C. #1774
Dome Satellite Dish

Hey! Everyone, I have a question about the Dome Satellite by Dish manufactured by Wingard and sold by Camping World for about $1,00.00. Suppose to work as a stationery unit with GPS to find the Satellite. Do any of you have this unit and if so, how well does it work/not work? Was talking to CW yesterday. The counter people said they are selling several of them. Just wondering what experience, if any, have had with it.

Thanks.

Montana_1774 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:25 AM   #2
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
We have had one for about a year, it's one of the best purchases I have made. All you do is pull up, park and turn on the TV it does everything else. I used to set up a dish and had all of the gadgets that you need to tune in the satelite usually taking 15-20 minutes.
Don't do that any more, gives me more room in the basement also.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 04:48 AM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
Bobby-
I personally do not have any experience with the dome system but do use a Dish 500 system. In Texas a lot of the state parks are heavily forrested and this limits your ability to obtain the satellite signal. Most of the time I can lock onto a signal by moving the dish a little one way or the other. The only two times I have not been able to get a signal was in Bullards Beach State Park, Oregon (trees) and Columbia River Gorge, Oregon (mountain). Agreed, it does take a little longer to set up and requires some space for transportation, but this is my preference.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2005, 05:19 AM   #4
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I guess it all depends on the campgrounds. If you are in a site with little or no tree cover the permanent roof mount should work great but when you get into those sites with a heavy tree canopy you're probably out of luck. I personally would go with the more portable dish on the tripod. Or you could do both. Carry the dish and tripod for when you don't have a signal on the permanently mounted.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2005, 06:58 AM   #5
Treecounter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #162
We use a Winegard Hand crank dish with an elevation gage on it so you know what angle it is at.Plug in Lon. and Lat. from GPS. Never use a compass. Just set the Elevation and rotate slowly. Five minuets. We also carry a dish for those times we have trees. Drilled out the rivets that hold the LNB arm and replaced them with 1/4 inch bolts and wing nuts. So it takes less storage space. Haven't had to use it this year.
Treecounter is offline   Reply With Quote