Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-17-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
Hitch on Montana's

To those who might be interested:
I called the Keystone customer service number today to inquire about a statement that a salesperson had made at a local Rv show in Grand Rapids, Mich.
While viewing a new 5th wheel model (not a keystone product) with this salesperson, I made the comment that I wish keystone would not void the warranty on the Montana due to the installation of a rear mounted hitch. This Salesperson told me that this wasn't true, that keystone does in fact allow hitches to be installed if bolted on to the frame. That keystone only objected to a hitch that was welded onto the frame. I decided to not take this individuals word as gospel and called Keystone. I spoke to a gal who I believe identified herself as Tammy. She told me that Keystone would not warranty any damage that was caused to the trailer by the installed hitch. Wanting further clarification, I asked her, do you mean if I had a hitch installed on the rear of our Montana and I backed up into something with the hitch and this caused damage to the trailer in any maner, that keystone would not be responsible and cover damage? Her repy was yes. I said I concurred and wouldn't expect them to. I pressed further and asked her if it made a difference whether the hitch was welded or bolted? I told her I didn't have a hitch in mind as yet and I was leaning towards one that was bolted if available. I explained that I only wanted to carry several bicycles on it. She didn't answer the question directly and referred me to her supplier, the Lippert Frame Co. and suggested that I tell them what I had in mind and see what their response was. I'm not sure about this action. It would appear to me that she would know or should find out what the keystone position is on welded versus bolted hitches. Does passing the buck come to mind? What do the rest of you folks think?
Gary & Carole

cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:35 PM   #2
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
In a few discussions with people at Keystone and repair facility in Goshen, it is our understanding that they do not have to honor warranty if you add a hitch to the back of your unit, there was no mention of welding or bolting, as the problem is not HOW you added the hitch, but at the front, where the weight/stress from the stuff you are hauling around with that hitch can "pull down" the back end. The damage they saw from such hitches was around the bedroom area, and was cracks and such.

Course, I guess you could argue that you can carry a lot of weight around in the rear of a coach anyway, depending on how you load your rig.

I think it had to do with "flex" and the physical forces that a hitch and stuff on it put on the unit.

Call Lippert, they seem to be pretty nice people there too.

This same subject has come up a number of times here on the forum, if you have not done so, you might want to do a search (see top of page) and see what you can come up with. Some interesting reading!

Let us know what Lippert says, if you decide to call them. We have a new member who has something to do with Lippert (like works there), maybe he will check in on this thread as well.

Carol

There is always the option of waiting out your warranty, then do as you wish??
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 01:40 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I don't feel that she is passing the buck at all. If I understood a related question at the factory tour Lippert warrants the frame not Keystone. Lippert is the one that makes the decisions on warranty issues dealing with modifications to their frames and the addition of a hitch is considered a modification. By having you call Lippert directly you will be getting your answers directly from the manufacturer.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
Sad isin't it... can you imagine if your Ford dealer said "General Gear makes the frame...talk to them about warrenty issues".
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:15 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Correct me if I'm wrong but don't Ford, GM, and Chrysler either build the frames themselves or own the subsidiary that does? That's a whole different ballgame. I can't imagine any relatively small company, or maybe any company at all, taking on warranty responsibilities for something you buy from someone else. It's just not a good fiscal business proposition.

My experience with GM and Ford on the following is quite a few years old, but in both cases when we bought new vehicles from them and had tire problems we were told to go to the tire manufacturer's dealer as they don't handle the warranty for tires. Balance, yes. Defects, no. I would think since neither GM nor Ford owns Firestone/Goodyear/Goodrich, that this would be a bit more analogous to the situation. Just my opinion, as always.

No intent to be argumentative, just want to make sure the apples are really apples and not oranges.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote