Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-04-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Montana_828
Established Member

M.O.C. #828
Reliability

Accoring to the Green Book, the Montana is rated only 2 1/2 stars of a possible 5 stars. My intentions were to buy a Montana at the Tampa RV show this month, but now I wonder if that may be a mistake as I want to full-time. Can any of you owners help me with my dilemma?

Montana_828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:29 PM   #2
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
Florida Gal

I belive with that star system that their is only ONE brand that was given 5 stars.I can see where your thinking WOW 2 1/2 stars isn`t really that great.But I can tell you their are many Montana owners right here that full time in their rigs-and are loving every minute of it.I really don`t put a lot of faith in that rating system.But i do under stand your concerns.
Others that do full time i`am sure will give you their insights.I wouldn`t base your decision totally on that star system.Just my 2 cents.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:18 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
I did a lot of research before I bought my rig. Maybe it's because of my Scotish heritage, but I want to get best value for the dollars invested. That, in turn, is exactly why I chose the Montana Big Sky.

I have driven everything over tha span of my driving including products from the big three and the prominent and not so prominent foriegn models. My $2,000 Ford Falcon needed repairs as well as the Lincoln Town Car. It didn't seem to matter how much I spent on the vehicle, each of them had recurrent issues related to that particular make and model.

I have also rented and owned an array of stick houses. One of them included the insanity of having it built. Plumbing, painting, foundation stability, facia board replacement, and reroofing were required no matter what subdivision or price paid for the house.

After making these kinds of comparisons, it is my conclusion, that if the basic construction is sound, then the quality of the unit is largely dependent upon the owners diligence in maintaining the unit.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:08 AM   #4
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I call mine a "fixer upper"....it was new spring 2003 ... so far this trip I've has water heater quit, basement door locks jam due to corrosion, screen door latch fail. This has been a great trip so far...hardly anything has fallen off or broken...
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:24 AM   #5
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Welcome Florida Gal to the MOC Family.

Lorraine and I have been fulltiming in our Montana since October 18th of 2003.
Other than a slightly out of square shower door we have had NO problems with this rig and if and when we decide to upgrade it will be into another Montana.
I have problems with any rating system. Have you ever based your campground on any rating system? Can't tell you the number of times we booked at a campground because Woodalls had given it great rating. When we arrived we found conditions deplorable. Ever book a motel using the AAA ratings? Many many disappointments with AAA as well.
Montana has been the number one selling RV for the past 3 years and that is new and used units. You don't get to be #1 with just 2 1/2 stars.
Now you said "My intentions were to buy a Montana at the Tampa RV show this month". Great idea and I would suggest visiting the Montana booth at 3 PM on Friday. We plan on a gatering of MOCers at that time. Speak to some of us MOCers face to face and I promise you will have a whole different feel for the Montana by 4 PM.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:33 AM   #6
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Like most other folks here, I wouldn't pay too much attention to the various "star" rating systems. The #1 sales figure says it pretty well. The Monty isn't the absolute top of the class in some respects, but it is near the top in most, and the final choice for more buyers than any other brand.

Based on your intent to go shopping this weekend, and if you haven't done so already, I would highly recommend a book on buying RV's Available as an Internet download..

Quote: The RV Buyers Survival Guide." Ex-RV sales manager
Bob Randall reveals how to get the best deal from an
RV dealer. Don't pay too much. Available as printed book
or an Internet download. (instant eBook)

http://www.NewRVer.com/rvbook.html
End Quote

We used it to prepare for our Monty purchase, and think we saved quite a bit of uncertainty and even a few $$ by using the info it contains.

Good luck and enjoy the experience!

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 05:36 AM   #7
Montana_2230
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2230
Florida Gal, We recently bought a 2001 previously enjoyed 2955rl Montana 5er. We had pull behinds before. We sure love it. Yep, we have had a few problems, but all RV's have problems. I just learned to maintain my trailers and never had one back to the dealer. I think a lot of RVer's do their own maintenance work. I think all RV owners must be prepared or get prepared to do serious maintenance on their units some times. After all you haul it over some rough roads and things are bound to break or quit working. Now don't get me wrong if people desire to use their dealers, that's fine also.

There are several RV forums where you can find help with problems and also some good books on maintenance. Even if you found a good dealer (there are some) and he fixed every little thing that went wrong, your unit would be in the shop for long periods of time. That's why I do my own fixing. I admit it took me awhile to learn to do certain things in the way of maintenance.

I also don't really believe in the rating systems I see about RV's. It boils down for me to what a unit costs and how it appears to me and my wife upon inspection. Yes, I would like to own the most expensive 5 star rig out there, but I could never afford it. We looked around and found this Montana for a reasonable price that we could afford and bought it. We knew it was used and I expect some problems as we travel in it, but took the risk because of the price. It's not the best trailer made nor is it the worst trailer made. It's adequate for us.

I think this is one of the best forum's for good information about Montana's. People are honest and tell the good news as well as the bad. I think you could do worse than buying a Monty. They are fine trailers.

Good luck with your decision and happy camping and travel.
Montana_2230 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 07:53 AM   #8
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Can't really help you FloridaGal. New RVs are a lot of money. Take your time and check everything out including cost and features. On my latest trip a brand new Fleetwood Quantum was parked next to me. It was a beautiful unit with 4 slides. I looked underneath and everything was exposed so he won't be doing any winter camping unless its way south. He was from Iowa. Haven't seen the green book but what are the price comparisons between the 5 and 2 1/2 stars. How were the ratings given (ie what criteria).

All I can stay is I bought mine used in the blind and have good luck with it. Minor problems only that I have fixed myself.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 01:57 PM   #9
Montana_828
Established Member

M.O.C. #828
Thanks so much for all the valuable info. Will try to see you Friday at the show. Take care.
Montana_828 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 04:11 PM   #10
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
I have to say that last year, when we bought ours, we bought it at the show here in Syracuse, the BIG one, and we looked at EVRY 5er there, and the Montana was top notch. We talked right with the Keystone rep, and were pleased. We talked with other Montana owners, and was pleased. My father has a Jayco, and he has had his share of problems. My inlaws have a Fleetwood, and they have had there share of problems. We have had very minor issues with ours, easily fixed, and working great now. Rating systems are very flawed. Think of this, Montana is the #1 selling brand, if they rate the repairs on them, of course they will have the most, because there are more of them on the road, that is just economics.

Look at them all, buy what is right for you, but I can tell you we are happy with ours, will buy another one, did I say we are happy with ours?

Good luck!!
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:48 PM   #11
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I see Harleyrider is a Montana advocate.....I also see the post "heard back from the dealer" same forum different topic that the front cap doesn't connect to the roof and he's on the hook to pull and re-seal any leaky windows..... just doesn't sound like a quality product to me....

If my car had as many problems as a Montana I would invoke the "lemon laws" which, unfortunatley don't apply to RVs.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #12
mallardjusted
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2334
For every person that has had major problems, you'll find many more that haven't had any problems or only minor problems.

I think it's been stated before several times, but ..... making sure you have a great dealer is great "insurance".

We've only had minor problems after buying our unit last August. So far I'm happy with our dealer (Foley RV in Burlington, WA), and as extra "insurance" we did purchase an extended warranty.
mallardjusted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There are nine individual posters to your topic. Unless I missed something, there were eight pro-Montana postings and one negative response. Do the math.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:42 PM   #14
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Yep Stiles,

That's an 88% approval rating. That should be 4 stars.

Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:17 PM   #15
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
I know no one wants to admit they have been had but read the list of technical problems in that thread.

Note that although "happy" Harleyrider is on his second dealer.... to repair what sounds like major structural damage. (end cap)(bedroom crack) Better yet... he is gonna be responsible for leaky windows??? Great warrenty!! Great service??? Fantastic reliability!!!

Florida Native has been leaking now for 12 to 18 months and still does not have it resolved.

My next door neighbor here is in a brand new Montana and is leaking like a sieve.

Then, the sunshine club has decided to award Montana with an 88% approval rating???? It's just a shame that Montana owners suffer in silence.

Old 01-06-2005, 04:08 PM   #16
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Well done Gruffy, Well done.

Gruffy how about starting a poll?

No comments, just the number of stars we would give.

If you'll kick it off as a new thread that would be great.

We might get a interesting final Avg. from our own members.
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 05:10 AM   #17
Montana_1424
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1424
All I can say to all this, is I have had NO major problems at all. I am the type of person that will not buy a product from the same manufacurer if I have problems. My cougar was problewm free, which is a Keystone product, and so is my Montana. Trust me, I am not hiding anything ,I am pretty vocal, and If I spend this kind of money and have a lot of problems, people hear about it.
Montana_1424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:35 AM   #18
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Welcome Florida Gal to the MOC Family.

Lorraine and I have been fulltiming in our Montana since October 18th of 2003.
Other than a slightly out of square shower door we have had NO problems with this rig and if and when we decide to upgrade it will be into another Montana.
I have problems with any rating system. Have you ever based your campground on any rating system? Can't tell you the number of times we booked at a campground because Woodalls had given it great rating. When we arrived we found conditions deplorable. Ever book a motel using the AAA ratings? Many many disappointments with AAA as well.
Montana has been the number one selling RV for the past 3 years and that is new and used units. You don't get to be #1 with just 2 1/2 stars.
Now you said "My intentions were to buy a Montana at the Tampa RV show this month". Great idea and I would suggest visiting the Montana booth at 3 PM on Friday. We plan on a gatering of MOCers at that time. Speak to some of us MOCers face to face and I promise you will have a whole different feel for the Montana by 4 PM.
I stand behind my post to the point I repeated it.

Gruffy,
The only one suffering around here seems to be you. Why can't you accept the fact that not EVERYONE has a problem with their Montana. There are some 1860 members of the MOC of which over 1100 have made some 5400 posts to this forum. Out of those 5400 posts you pick out 2 that have posted their problems. I also know there were other MOCers that posted problems but I also know that the vast majority, probably 85 to 90%, have had their problems fixed by either their dealer or by Montana and the other 10 to 15% have not as yet been resolved.
My point is you picked out 2 members with significant problems. I doubt you can find another 50 members with unresolved problems. And if you did that would surprise the "H" out of me and most of the membership.
BUT I feel generous today and I'll give you that 50. Now even with 52 out of 1100 comes out to about 1/2 of 1%.

1/2 of 1% sounds like a 5 Star Rating to me.

As far as the "technical problems in this thread" show me one RV on the market that does NOT have it's share of technical problems. Hi-end or Lo-end or somewhere in the middle they all have techincal problems. Hell even the million dollar plus Prevost or Marathon luxury motor homes have their fair share of problems.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize you don't get to be number 1 in RV sales the last 3 years in a row by putting out anything less than the best. And that's not just new RV sales that's used RV sales as well.

Now Gruffy take your Lemon law and go make some lemonade and put in plenty of sugar to sweetin it up.

I apologize for such a lenghty response but anytime someone starts by saying "I know no one wants to admit they have been had" in a post that I have participated in is as much as calling me a liar.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 07:54 AM   #19
RVWheels
Moderator Emeritus

M.O.C. #29
Please folks!

Tone your comments down! There is nothing wrong with posting what you feel needs to be posted but please refrain from attacking each other. We are here to exchange information about the Montana brand of RVs. We are not here to cast dispersions on the character of other members of this forum.

So PLEASE..... tone it down.

RVWheels MOC Admin
RVWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
One thing I noted when I went shopping for my fiver. I was looking at Newmars and my dealer, a gentleman who only works part time after forty-plus years in the business, told me to check out the Montanas. I told him I was interested in the top quality models, such as Newmar (really too much money though) and he said, "You're right. It's right at the top. But the Montana is only a little lower than the Newmar. It's a great deal for the money." He had nothing to gain or lose...Arlington RV sells both products. That made an impression on me and now...a year later...
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote