Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2008, 01:49 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Black tank flush

For any of you that leave your hose hooked up to your tank flush.

One of our friends here has a Montana about a year or so old. He has always left the hose hooked to his flush in the convenience panel, and just shuts the water valve off. They came in late one night recently to find water running out the vent on the roof, and out the basement doors. Their neighbors had visitors for a crab boil, and they had decided to use his hose for water. Tinkering with the valves on the water supply, they had turned the flush on, and failed to turn it back off. Fortunately, our friend had just flushed the black tank, so the overflow was not as nasty as it could have been. (never seen a clean black tank after it is once used) I was shocked it didn't rupture the tank. Our friends handled the situation much better than I would have. They soaped everything down and used a large wet vac to clean it up. Yuk!

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:21 AM   #2
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Just yesterday when I was doing a black tank flush at our seasonal I very briefly thought about a system that would allow me to do just that. Fortunately many of my brief thoughts come and go very quickly and never get a second thought and now you have provided the lesson, thanks for the post.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:02 AM   #3
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
It happened to us on my previous Montana and fortunately it was just after dumping and cleaning the black water tank. So the lesson I learned is NEVER, NEVER, NEVER leave the hose connected to the black water flush valve....and I mean NEVER!
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:16 AM   #4
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
I toyed with the concept but ended up with a compromise. I hook the hose up but do not actually connect it to the flush. The reason I leave it hooked up to the outlet is so I'll have it ready for the flush BUT also have it handy in case it is needed for an emergency. I first noticed this process at the Escapees parks.

Probably not a good idea to leave it plugged into the flush!

Thanks for the reminder.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:49 AM   #5
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
I hook up my "green flush hose" to "Y" connector at the water outlet and attach a spray nozzle to the male end. I only hookup to the flush when I flush and then I disconnet and attach the spray nozzle. The spray nozzle is an ordinary garden variety that allows spray control for cleaning out the sewer hose when I finally disconnect the sewer hose. I can't imagine "borrowing" anyone elses equipment without their approval--maybe a few to many adult libations!
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:09 PM   #6
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
Thanks for the warning I just bought a flush hose that I was going to leave hooked up so now I will just hook up the sewer solutions and leave the flush hose unhooked.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
GregN
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6790
I use a shut off valve, can get it in the garden section at the store. this way a can leave the water on and just turn it on and off right where it connects to the rig. I don't have to walk back and forth to the main valve.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:31 AM   #8
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Thanks for the heads up. Even though I generally keep the door to the docking station locked, it would be my luck for the same thing to happen. I use quick connects and in the future will just slip the flush hose into the docking center and wait until I'm ready to flush to hook it up.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 02:51 AM   #9
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
GregN - I too did what you did. I had a Y with a shutoff connected to my water supply, the hose connected to my black tank flush and the Y side feeding the black tank had the valve in the off position. I thought I was making things easier as all I had to do was turn the valve on and it would flush the black holding tank. Well, one day I was working on a water leak and turned off the water at the Y connector to the rig. I was stuffed under the bathroom sink and after fixing the leak I asked Betty to turn the water back on....she did including the feed to the black water flush. I checked my repair and all was well. Guess what happened about 1/2 hour later...not a good thing! I only repeat this story to let everyone know - as long as you have a water line connected to the flush system you can have a real mess. It could happen by a mistake from you, your neighbor, a guest or someone messing around.

What I have done to make the hook-up easier is put a quick connect connector on my hoses and the trailers black water and city water connection points.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:34 AM   #10
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by GregN

I use a shut off valve, can get it in the garden section at the store. this way a can leave the water on and just turn it on and off right where it connects to the rig. I don't have to walk back and forth to the main valve.
That was my idea, too - except that I have it shut off at the manifold also - 2 shut offs that way. One at the faucet and one at the rig.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
I do as Dennis and Mary Kay. I leave it attached to the 4 way at the spigot but disconnect it from the back flush and leave it hanging inside the convenience center. That makes it readily available for other chores and is easy to hook up to the flush every 3 days or so.

I like the idea of a shut off inside the convenience center.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:49 AM   #12
muddflapp
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7533
Ok, I am the exception to the rule it sounds like. I take the blue quick connect hose that came with the monty and have it hooked up to my flush system and to the outside faucet inside the convience center. That way when I am ready to flush my tank, I just turn on the hot and cold water valves inside the sytem and flush my tanks. After running the flush for about 15 - 20 mins, I just turn off the faucets inside the convience center and my tank is flushed. I don't drink any water from the taps inside the Monty. Should I be worried about any back wash going back into the plumbing by leaving it hooked up like this. When you go to a dump station on the road without water hookups, flushing like this using the fresh water tank and the pump works quite well also.
muddflapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by muddflapp

Ok, I am the exception to the rule it sounds like. I take the blue quick connect hose that came with the monty and have it hooked up to my flush system and to the outside faucet inside the convience center. That way when I am ready to flush my tank, I just turn on the hot and cold water valves inside the sytem and flush my tanks. After running the flush for about 15 - 20 mins, I just turn off the faucets inside the convience center and my tank is flushed. I don't drink any water from the taps inside the Monty. Should I be worried about any back wash going back into the plumbing by leaving it hooked up like this. When you go to a dump station on the road without water hookups, flushing like this using the fresh water tank and the pump works quite well also.
The quick answer as to whether you should be worried is YES! I don't trust check valves.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote