Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 01:43 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
I bit the bullet and put 4 new treads on the TV...

After just 31,750 miles I had enough of the Bridgestone rags that GMC put on my 05 GMC. Wet weather traction became nearly non-existent and getting ready for close to 10,000 miles this summer I had to do something.
I finally bit the bullet and put on 4 Michelin LTX 10 Ply M/S with ROL. The TV looks and rides great and all four out the door for just 812 bucks. That price includes all the mounting, balancing, new metal valve stems, alignment check, one year free replacement from road hazard or defect. Prorated road hazard after 1 year. Also includes free rotation for the life of the tires.

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Smart move. Nothing like the feeling of security about having all new gummies under you when going down the road.
Enjoy the trip.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 03:06 PM   #3
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
Same thing I did on my 04, switched those sorry bridgestones out for the Michelin Man's favorite duds. Love them Michelins!!!!

Funny, I traded mine out at 30,000 miles because I didn't like the wear patterns.
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:18 PM   #4
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Way to go Glenn, great tires and a super deal.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 11:50 PM   #5
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Glenn: I will be doing the same thing this year. I took the original tires off after 30,000 odd miles and now have around 50,000 or so miles on my Michelin LTX M&S. Getting close to the wear bands so I will be changing also. With the same tires.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:00 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by LonnieB

Way to go Glenn, great tires and a super deal.
Lonnie, I could have done better had I waited til I got to Penna and got them at my nephew's shop but I wasn't going to push my luck any further with those BS rags.

BTW- This "BS" stands for BridgeStone not Bull ____ but either way it's still the same definition.
Old 04-28-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
Hi Glenn,
My TV came with the Michlins. I'm now on my 2nd set. 1st set went 50k and this set has 40K with easily another 10K to go. The wear pattern on both sets is/was perfect. I'll replace with same after this summer. Most of the miles was towing our TT with a 1000# Motorcycle in the bed. With the EQ, hitch that equates to about 1500#+ load on TV and pulling 11,000+. Not as much as yours, but still quite a bit.
Happy Camping
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Glenn,

I sell the tires you bought, LT245/75R16E in the Michelin LTX M/S for 202.00 each. The road hazard is an extra 20.02 per tire, then Texas sales tax brings the whole deal to 956.91. This is for "John Doe" of course. Long time customers, friends, and family naturally get better deals.

As far as the Bridgestone goes, the NEW Dueller Revo A/T and H/T are being built with the same rubber compounds and technology as the Michelins. They have a very high mileage warranty and a 30 day "test drive". If the customer doesn't like them for any reason, they will be replaced with another tire of equal value, or money refunded, anytime during the 30 days. I have never been much of a Bridgestone, or Firestone fan, but I have sold some of these, and so far haven't made anyone mad, . Actually, they seem to be all they claim.

If these are the tires that were on your truck, or if anyone else has had experience with them I would be extremely interested in feedback. I sure don't want to sell a tire as something it's not.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Lonnie, The Dueller Revo A/T was the tire the Firestone/Bridgestone store quoted me. The total price was almost 100 bucks higher than the Michelins. They may well be worth the bucks but knowing the bad mileage I received from the OE Bridgestones (not the Dueller Revo A/T) kinda turned me off to the Bridgestone line. I'll be interested on the kinda service your customers get out of them.
Old 04-28-2007, 03:23 PM   #10
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Sounds like a winner, Glenn.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 05:29 PM   #11
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Lonnie, I now have 2000 miles on the Dueller Revo A/T and I love them. Even tho they have a lot of meat to them there is no noise on the highway. My truck rides and handles much better than the factory Bridgestones that came on it.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 04:41 PM   #12
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
What a timely topic...I just put the exact same tires (Costco - 700 out the door - blackwall) on my truck and do have a couple questions from you tire guys.

The shop inflated my tires to 80 in the back, 65 in the front. I immediately noticed the truck didn't track as true as my old SteelTeks that came off. Softer tire than the Michelins I know, but still it got me thinking.
Inside my door, there is a sticker that says 55 front, 80 rear. A buddy of mine that runs them said try 55 in front because the tire is harder.

We just got back from our first break in run of the season towing our trailer - I don't think it's been that long, but I wasn't pleased with the stability of my tow. Felt kind of loose and squirelly compared to the old Chevy 'let-the-wheel-go-and-it-tracks-true' kind of ride.
After we got to our destination, I gave everything a good going over and did manage a bit of improvement, but I do need to ask you tire guys what's up with this. Even not towing, my truck doesn't steer the same (a bit quicker touch) - cars go past me and I move now - never did before.
Do I need more pressure in my tires?
My old SteelTeks towed at 80 pounds all around and handled wonderful.
What to do?
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:03 PM   #13
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
GLENN - I sure am glad that your going to show up in BRANSON with PRETTY TIRES. Anything that will make the trip a safe one is GOOD.. SEE YOU IN BRANSON SOON. safe travels John
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 05:42 PM   #14
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Ozzie,

You could raise the tire pressure in the front, but you will have a much harsher ride, and possibly, uneven wear on the tires. I'm not running Michelins on my truck anymore, but when I did I kept them at 55 psi. The Toyo's I am now running are also set at 55 psi.

It may be that the new tires "bite" the road so much better than the old ones, every little bobble of the steering wheel is magnified. They may get better with a few miles on them.

You might also want to have your alignment checked, if you haven't already done so. A little off is a lot more noticeable with new tires.

Let us know what you find out.
Old 04-29-2007, 06:02 PM   #15
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
Hey Lonnie -

One of the adjustments I made after the first leg of the tow was indeed lowering the pressure to 55 lbs in front. It did make quite an improvement in both ride and steering along with taking out much of the uneasy feeling I was experiencing. I was reluctant to try that, but since our rig is a trailer and not the fifth wheel, I gave it a shot.
I also did think about the alignment, and may yet check that too, but after the pressure adjustment I did the let go of the wheel thing and it was staying pretty true and with less side movement from oncoming traffic.

I think you're also right about the tracking of the new rubber - I can feel everything now. It steers quicker and I need to get used to less steering. It's pretty unsettling after a person has run the same model tires some 60k miles.

Thank you for the direction - I wanted to make sure I wasn't making matters worse by softening the sidewalls.

Oh Lonnie...as a side note. I noticed you won't be going to Branson...sorry bud, I was hoping to meet you. Maybe next time.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:11 PM   #16
sedwheathome
Established Member

M.O.C. #6730
Everyone has their favorite brands. But, the Michelins are hard to beat. My 01 Dodge 2500 come with Michelin LTX M/S 265/75/16E. They have almost 58,000 miles on them right now, most are towing or hauling miles. Two of them are down to the wear bars. I will replace in the next month. Been looking at lots of others, but having a hard time talking myself out of another set of these Michelins!
sedwheathome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2007, 12:38 PM   #17
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
My truck calls for 60 front, 80 rear. The dealer but 65 in all 4. I did notice a quicker reaction stearing and the ride did seem a bit smoother probably explained by the 65PSI in the rear. I have put about 100 miles on them.

Of course I will be bringing up the rear to 80PSI when I get ready to pull out this Sunday.

John(Hemlockusa), See ya in Branson SOON and I too was looking forward to meeting Lonnie.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:25 PM   #18
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Not trying to get this thread off topic, just want to say I wanted to meet you guys too. I am looking forward to the next opportunity for that meeting to take place.

Old 05-08-2007, 06:25 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Congrats on the tires, Glenn, but if you have only 31k miles on that 2005 you need to hitch up that Montana and hit the road!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 AM   #20
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by sreigle

Congrats on the tires, Glenn, but if you have only 31k miles on that 2005 you need to hitch up that Montana and hit the road!
I am Steve, believe me I am. We are in Tunica, MS today but next week we will be in Branson. The following week Nashville, than the NE rally in PA for a couple weeks. Than we head north to NY for a week or so. THAN we head the GMC/Monty WEST and head for Oregon by mid July. Than we will be working our way back to Indiana for the Goshen rally. I'm figuring on putting about 11,000 to 12,000 miles plus on them new Michelin's.

See ya at Pine Hill.