Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2007, 02:51 PM   #1
RickV1955

M.O.C. #6942
How big a Tow Vehicle needed?

I'm looking for information on how big a tow vehicle I need.
My wife and I are planning to full time in a couple of years and we have been doing a lot of research and info gathering on different fifth wheels and tow vehicles.
I've been getting a lot of input lately advising that it isn't safe to tow a fifth wheel with anything less than a MDT (and or a HDT).
I understand all the "get enough truck" advice as well as issues with "braking" (especially in the mountains)...
But it just seems a bit rediculous to think I have to go (basicly) to a commercial "tractor" to safely tow a fifth wheel...
Probably like a lot of you, our tow vehicle will be our only vehicle and it doesn't seem practical to be driving a huge MDT/HDT back and forth to the grocery store, or out sighseeing.....maybe it's just me, but this seems crazy.
I was under the impression that most people used "normal" trucks (and by that I mean an F-350 or even and F-450 or GMC 3500...)

I would love to hear from people here that have been towing for a while (hopefully full timing) and get your opinion of this.
Have you had problems towing with a one ton truck? Any braking problems? Problems getting up hills? any other problems?
and any advice?

Some of the fifth wheels I've looked at give GVWR in the 18,000 to 20,000 lb. range....
I haven't been able to find out the GVWR of the Big Sky?

Any info/ advice would be appreciated.

Rick

RickV1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:05 PM   #2
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Rick,

If you want the best of the best, I suggest checking out the Sportchassis M2 Freightliner. It is a MDT that will tow any and every 5th wheel out there. Here is their link... www.sportchassis.com

There are some down falls to having a MDT; parking, no 4x4, and cannot take them through the carwash. On the other hand, they will be within every spec possible with any fifth wheel you buy.

If the M2 is more truck than you are looking for, I suggest sticking with any of the 1 ton diesels. The 2500HD can tow and haul a Montana within every spec on the truck, but it probably will not happen if one is going full time. Having the extra payload capacity of a 1 ton will be beneficial as you load up your coach... Happy shopping.

PS~ here are a few other links for MDT's out there

www.haulerking.com Chevy Kodiak 4500's
www.neelycoble.com Freightliner M2's
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 03:53 PM   #3
Dave e Victoria
Montana Master

M.O.C. #635
As Montana Sky said, Montanas are mostly towed by 3/4 or 1 ton trucks. IMHO moving up to an MDT or HDT is not necessary for most fivers. However, if you are so inclined and have the bucks, they arte nice.
Dave
Dave e Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You'll find that most of us tow with 3/4 and 1-ton trucks. Keystone manufactures their 5ers to be towed primarily with these trucks.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2007, 04:18 PM   #5
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
I will agree with Dave and Dave on the 3/4 and 1 ton truck for the Montanas. But you stated the 5ers you were looking at was in the 18k to 20k range and if you want to tow one of thoes, you will definately have to go with at least the MDT, F450 or larger. The new F450 and GM Kodiak have more of what you'll need for that much tonage! Another thing to remember, you can never have too much when you go FT!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 01:48 PM   #6
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Rick...Looks like you have broken the code. A one ton works best for any Montana, then when you get to the 18k to 20k range, you need more truck.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote