Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-02-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
wa4bmg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #592
Power Chips Ford 6.0

Does anyone have any information and/or experience with any of the power chip tuners like Edge, Banks etc. Do such things kill the engine warranty?

wa4bmg

wa4bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 05:19 PM   #2
gungho
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2818
Ford will void your warrenty, but some nice dealers will look the other way.
gungho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 12:07 AM   #3
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
If you are going to play, you better be ready to pay.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 AM   #4
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I don't see where they need anymore power.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 05:33 PM   #5
Montana_3598
Established Member

M.O.C. #3598
I have a 7.3 PSD with a Banks system and had no problems with Ford warranty coverage. Banks I know specifically state they do not exceed engine tolerances with any of their stuff, and you have the ability to remove or bypass any electronic components for testing purposes. Banks has a limited lifetime warranty on their components (5 years on electronics I think) and has worked with folks in the past to get around imagined warranty problems with their dealers. The only catch is you have to prove it's not the add-on causing the issue before Ford will look at it, so be prepared to spend a bit of time explaning and testing for them.

One nasty caviat - if you leave the Banks chip in, the onboard diags will report a memory error to the diagnostic console. Make SURE you remove the chip (it's under the dash and fairly accessible) before you have any serious diagnostic work done. Otherwise they'll replace the computer and your chip may go with it.

On a side note, I've not had any engine related difficulty with the Banks in my 7.3 PSD, and I'm up to 108,000 miles, and had the extended warranty from Ford on the vehicle. I had a few items replaced under warranty, but nothing really engine-related (I did smoke a tranny in S. Dakota, but McKee Ford in Rapid City gave me no trouble over it).

It's a risk you have to take if you go that route, but the major units have been around for a while and so long as you go with something reputable, you should be able to get support and assistance.
Montana_3598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 04:34 PM   #6
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
I had a chip in my '00 Ford 7.3 It added a bunch to the old stroke motors. But the new 6.0 has about the same as the chipped 7.3 does. So far I haven't really seen the need to add more power when towing these big trailers. But if anyone does be sure to get a Pyrometer guage to monitor the Exaughst temperatures. Pretty easy to melt the turbo blades when towing up a steep mountain pulling hard.
Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005, 06:22 PM   #7
Montana_294
Established Member

M.O.C. #294
Just took delivery on a new F-350 with 6 ltr. PSD and 5 speed auto tranny. Pulls my RL 3255 just fine with lots of power/torque. Here is what my manual states: Your vehicle's powertrain control systems can detect and store information about vehicle modifications that increase horsepower and torque output. This information can not be erased and will stay in the system's memory even if the modification is removed. The information can be retrieved by Ford Motor Co., Ford of Canada and service and repair facilities when servicing your vehicle. This information may be be used to determine if repairs will be covered by warranty.

Incidentally, my F-350 came with the factory brake controller which does a superb job of proportional braking of the 5'ver.
I agree with jharvey, Banks probably makes the best aftermarked power boosters verified by dyno tests.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Norbert and Ruth
1999 RL3255
2005 F-350 Dually PSD
18K Hidden Hitch
Montana_294 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2005, 11:35 AM   #8
RadioMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #222
Send a message via AIM to RadioMan
I had a Edge chip in my 02 Dodge Diesel 2500 Shortbed. Worked pretty good as long as I took it out of OD and was pulling a hill. Otherwise the tranny would shudder. I was told by a transmission shop that there's some king of valve that causes this and that its a defect, but that dodge won't admit it. Yes, I disconnected it prior to taking it into the dealer for service. I just bought an 05 Dodge Diesel 3500 high output longbed. Shouldn't need the chip in this one. Will find out this weekend. Mean while, I have the Edge chip for sale if anyone is interested. Fits only the 01 and 02 Dodge. 01's need some kind of an adapter.
RadioMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 03:42 AM   #9
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I had my chip and gauges installed at a local shop where I know the owner very well and trust. His advise to me was if I had Ford do any type of work that would require checking the computer was to remove the chip as they might flash the computer and this would make the chip void and it then would have to be reprogrammed. Norbie is correct about the computer retaining memory and depending upon the situation could void warranty. I have not had any problems with either the PSD or the chip and would do it again to gain the extra power on the 7.3.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #10
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
To erase the memory on the computer, just disconect the batteries for a couple of hours and remove the chip, then hook it all back up, everything that was there will be gone, get in it fire it up and drive it around to get it back on track, then make the appointment for the dealer.