Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2005, 09:30 AM   #1
DCP
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1013
Send a message via AIM to DCP Send a message via MSN to DCP
Trailair vs. Mor-Ryde pin boxes

Is any one using either one of these pin boxes? I need some opions on which is better before I buy one!

DCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 01:46 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Dave: You are going to get some interesting responses on the subject. This has been discussed before. If you are going to the rally in Goshem, Indiana this Sept. they may have the Mor-Ryde people there for a demo. Myself, I hope to have a Mor-Ryde hitch installed before I get to the rally. As I have never had any other system I can't compare. I can only say that I was impressed with the Mor-Ryde presentation last year and I am planning on getting one.
My opinion.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 02:18 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Get something, get one of them, just our opinion, and we own another brand.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:22 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have looked at both the Trail-air and the Mor-Ryde pin box hitch.They both do the same thing, cost the same and foks who have them are equally satisfied.Both brands come OEM on several brand name RV's. Keystone not among them. I will have the trail-air pin box installed when we get our 3295 simply because I can have it installed locally and get it for a better price from the dealer when I buy the camper not because it is any better than the Mor-Ryde.. I think the pin box will increase the life of the RV and decrease some of the failures (hitch pin wield) because of the reduced stress not to mention a smoother ride. Personal opinion of course.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:16 AM   #5
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
I have a Trailair and have only used it 1 time. It had a lot of back and forth motion in the TV, but in their defense I was a LOT over my GVWR. I Only pulled it the one time and I knew what I had to do.
I bought a new truck. I do not have the rails reinstalled yet for the hitch but I am taking it in next week for installation. However, I talked with Trailair and they were very helpful and sent me a different air bag to try. They said it's all harmonics between the TV and the Trailair. Sometimes there are adjustments that can be made with the hitch and the Trailair and they would work with me until we get it right, and if it just will not work, I can send it back for a full refund. In my opion, that's great customer service and I will try my best to make it work. As you will see by my signature, I now have the right truck for the job and am looking forward to towing the Monty. The customer service end means a lot to me and the product seems to be of superior quality. I hope this helped a little. When I finally get away from work next month for a long weekend I will let you know how it pulls.
cs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 07:15 AM   #6
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
We have the Mor-Ryde pin box. It didn't eliminating all of the bucking/jerking but it took a lot of it away. We didn't like the slamming that we got when we had to hit our brakes hard. We called Mor-Ryde and they sent a different "rubber spring" to try out. We haven't pulled it yet so we can't give you any information on how it's doing now. Still was satisfied with the original pin box as it took a lot of the jerking out. Customer service was good also.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 10:28 AM   #7
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
We have a Trailair and love it! Dealer didn't know how to put it on, but after dealing w/Tim at Trailair it was finally put on right. No bucking that we have noticed. Infact when traveling u can see the "kong ball" (husb. name for it) taking the brunt of bumps and uneveness of highway. Especially when approaching bridges...there always seems to be a ridge where the two meet. And he feels it saves the truck from hard jarring; less wear and tear.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:19 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DCP, we don't have any of those hitches but I did want to comment that with the integrated brake controller on your new Ford you won't get the slamming when hitting the brakes that tbhd mentioned. We did get the slamming sometimes with all the aftermarket controllers we've used but not with this controller. That will not solve any bucking problems you might have, though. Fortunately we don't get too much of that, plus we tend to avoid interstates when we can anyhow.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #9
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
I was in contact with Tim also and he sent me a different air bag. Actually the bag is smaller so I am a little reluctant to try it. The dealer put mine on and had it inflated way too much and the bucking and jerking was too much since he told me they redesigned their product to eliminate that problem. Once I lowered the air bag where it belonged it was better, but still feel it. As I said in my previous post, I was a lot overweight and haven't got the rails on the new truck. Just curious what he told you to solve the problem.
Old 07-31-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Curt,

you driving I 10??? Or, I 90 near Austin Minnesota?? Or, I 94 near Battle Creek. If so, you probably will get some bucking or rubber banding, as it is sometimes called, even AFTER a air pin is installed and tweaked for the best performance.

Also, you have a new truck now, so you may want to wait on this, but we noticed a significant improvement in ride and bouncing and such when we replaced the OEM shocks on the GMC. First the Isolator, then the shocks. A huge difference!!

Good luck with that new truck, go forth and enjoy!!!! Let us hear how this all works out for ya!
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 04:14 PM   #11
cs413
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3354
Only pulled approx. 100 miles total on old truck. All new blacktop on state highway around Panama City Florida. No Interstate yet. Don't usually get too far away from home. The new truck is a lot higher and I will probably have to do some pin and/or hitch adjustments to make everything level. Looking forward to hooking up and trying new truck.
Old 07-31-2005, 04:32 PM   #12
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are so glad that we had a Trailair before we came to Alaska. I'm sure it did a lot to save our trailer from all the bumps. It definitely made for a more comfortable ride.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote