Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2012, 03:11 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Kilroy was here

Any ex-military folks are familliar with the big-nose guy peering over the partition. WW2 was the start of Kilroy's appearances, and he still shows up in the current conflict areas.
I have two geocaches container holders honoring Kilroy, one back in K.C. and one I whipped up in the very find wood shop we have here at the park, nice as I don't have to make things on my tailgate now.
I bought the Walnut scraps for $1.00 and the Perivuan light-colored wood 6' section for $6.00.
Here is the one I made yesterday and the link to the rest of the pictures.

Here is the one in K.C. It has reflective tape on the metal for night caching:

For those who are not 'in' on Kilroy, here is the 411:
There was one person who led or participated in every combat, training or occupation operation during WWII and the Korean War. This person could always be depended on. GI's began to consider him the "super GI." He was one who always got there first or who was always there when they left. I am, of course, referring to Kilroy Was Here. Somehow, this simple graffiti captured the imagination of GI's everywhere they went. The scribbled cartoon face and words showed up everywhere - worldwide. Stories (some even true) abound.
This Legend of how "Kilroy was here" starts is with James J. Kilroy, a shipyard inspector during WWII. He chalked the words on bulkheads to show that he had been there and inspected the riveting in the newly constructed ship. To the troops in those ships, however, it was a complete mystery — all they knew for sure was that he had "been there first." As a joke, they began placing the graffiti wherever they (the US forces) landed or went, claiming it was already there when they arrived.
Kilroy became the US super-GI who always got there first — wherever GI's went. It became a challenge to place the logo in the most unlikely places. It was said to be atop Mt. Everest, the Statue of Liberty, the underside of the Arch de Triumphe, and scrawled in the dust on the moon. An outhouse was built for the exclusive use of Truman, Stalin, and Churchill who were there for the Potsdam conference. The first person to use it was Stalin. He emerged and asked his aide (in Russian), "Who is Kilroy?"
(Wikipedia)

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/KilroyWasHereToo?authuser=0&feat=directlink

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=6b023137-8a91-483a-b4b2-cb68445a8ab2

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Another great job! And another reason to stay a while at Tonopah! That wood shop is really cool.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 02:54 AM   #3
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
Wow! I had almost forgotten about him. I have seen his "signature" overseas in Vietnam, Korea, Taiwan, Philippines, Thailand, Guam, and Okinawa...and stateside in Washington, Missouri, Arkansas, Texas, Alaska, North Carolina, Louisiana, and Georgia. These are all places I have either been stationed at or visited TDY.

And his "signature" shows up in the [s]da[/s] most unusual places.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote