Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
8 Ft Bed and Slider Hitch

Getting closer to my truck purchase by the day. Since moving up to the DRW model I discovered you cannot have the Short Bed. I'd planned to buy a slider hitch, but now wonder if it is necessary.

Is there any benefit to have a slider with a long bed?

jmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:01 PM   #2
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Don't see the need for a slider in our long bed, DRW, Chevy.....Plenty of room. Spend money on something else or put aside for fuel!!!!!!!!!
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
No benefit whatsoever. Like Phil suggests save your dollars for other mods.

I wonder that with a long bed, the wheel base is already back a ways and putting the pin load farther back might cause undue stress. Does anyone know?

I also wonder if you already own the slider, rather than spending money on buying a fixed hitch, is there a way to install the slider hitch then lock it down so it never slides?

Bottom line - sliders are only needed on short beds and some don't do that. Warning - I have seen plenty of short beds with cab damage who tow 5ers.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:47 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
My sister got a new f350 LB DRW and she used her old slider off her old truck and had it reinstalled, it does not do anything and if it does like on a tight turn it does move a little but not like it did in the short bed she used to have. as exav8tr stated use the money some where else, maybe another fuel tank which we will all need soon the way things are going in the middle east.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #5
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
A regular hitch in a long bed truck will do just fine. I agree with the others, spend the extra money somewhere else.
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:36 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jmi

Getting closer to my truck purchase by the day. Since moving up to the DRW model I discovered you cannot have the Short Bed. I'd planned to buy a slider hitch, but now wonder if it is necessary.

I thought all 3 auto makers had the DRW in a short bed version now?
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 12:56 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
If you put boats on top of your truck, the slider would help keep the canoe ends farther away from the camper.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:16 AM   #8
junglejim
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9245
Will, I just checked the Ford website to verify what I thought. Ford does NOT offer a shortbed in DRW trucks.
junglejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:21 AM   #9
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by SlickWillie

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jmi

I thought all 3 auto makers had the DRW in a short bed version now?
In the case of the Ford 2011 F-350 Superduty select DRW on the website and the bed moves from 6 3/4 to 8 ft.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:30 AM   #10
jmi
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10907
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

If you put boats on top of your truck, the slider would help keep the canoe ends farther away from the camper.
Good point, I do have a 12ft Hobbie Kayak. The only roof carrier I've seen uses a receiver on the front end with a roof rack on the TV. Having a slider would help in this situation.

We considered this rack, but decided the new Hobbie inflatable is a better option for us. Have to recover from the TV & Monty purchase before that becomes reality.

Thanks everyone for the excellent feedback.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:35 AM   #11
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Chevy DRW is also a long bed, Short bed only in the 1 Ton SRW version. Standard hitch here with no problems plenty of clearance
Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 AM   #12
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mhs4771

Chevy DRW is also a long bed, Short bed only in the 1 Ton SRW version. Standard hitch here with no problems plenty of clearance
That would be a deal killer for me, Ford or GM dually. I just don't want a long bed truck. No desire to drive a vehicle the length of a school bus around.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 AM   #13
Lee F.
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10754
When I went from a short bed to my current long bed I just moved my SuperGlide slider to the new truck since I already owned it. It is not necessary for cab clearence but it does allow me to stow two bicycles crosswise on top of my truck box behind the rear window.
I wouldn't buy one just for the bikes but since I already had it it works great.

Regarding Arts question ref. stress to the truck suspension, according to my Ford rep. the stress is actually a little less because of the longer forward fulcrum.
Lee F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 03:59 AM   #14
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Come on Will, it's only a small School Bus..also depends on which cab, reg, extended, or crew. Once you get used to it, it's a piece of cake. Just have to remember if people park next to you (which seems they do even when you're parked on the far side of the lot) is to pull out a ways before starting you're turn. Almost lost a fender when I first got my 2005 Dually.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree with others, you do not need a slide hitch with a long bed truck.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #16
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by camper4

I assume you mean when turning to park at a site. All slider hitches are designed to only tow in the ahead position. The rear position is only meant for the slow speed, sharp maneuvers needed in parking and otherwise moving the trailer. Towing in the rear position places the weight too far back on the truck and on the hitch sliding rails for safe towing.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 02:22 AM   #17
lasater
Montana Master

M.O.C. #77
My 2-cents worth. My first TV was a short-bed with a superslider hitch that weighed over 300 pounds. When I changed to a long-bed, I went with the B&W Turn-Over Ball Companion Hitch. Now, I can remove the hitch in about 10 minutes by myself and either have a clean bed or use the ball for a goose-neck. I spend a good bit of time helping family (make that extended family) do projects, so the ability to tow a regular cargo trailer, gooseneck trailer, and 5th wheel trailer (not at the same time) makes my setup perfect (for me).

Re-install of the hitch takes about 15 minutes because of having to torque the pull down bolt and u-bolts. Still...it is the best set-up for MY purposes.
lasater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:30 AM   #18
paddler67
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9444
hello
i have own 4 LB trks and never a window problem. i installed a bike rack on the front of the hitch and still had room for turning.
gene.
presently in bushnell,fl.
paddler67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM   #19
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
Just to jump in here and say that my choice is a long bed -- no matter other factors; but, of course, I use the pickup as a pickup, not only as a tow vehicle. I have found no problems in driving and parking, though I do keep in mind the dimensions. Mine is a single rear wheel (again my choice) and a great tow vehicle as well as a utility truck around the homeplace.

Different strokes for different folks, keeps everyone happy -- with themselves and with their neighbors.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 07:02 AM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
The only time I'd put a slider in a long bed is if I already owned the slider and didn't want to spend money for a different hitch. The slider won't hurt anything, it's just not necessary.

We originally went shortbed because it fit in our garage. We had big shelving in the garage, reducing depth. We have stayed with shortbeds simply because they're much more maneuverable both in parking lots and on the backroads and 4x4 roads we like to explore. The auto slider works very well. To me, the choice between shortbed and longbed is a personal one that requires understanding how one plans to use the truck. Longbed is Padre's choice. Shortbed is ours. Both of us are correct.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote