Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2007, 02:22 PM   #1
BirdingRVer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5740
Tire Pressure Monitors

Someone (sorry I can't remember who) at the spring MOC rally said they used the Doran Tire Pressure Monitor. There also seem to be a competing brand of Pressure Pro. I would be interested in opinions about the use of tire pressure monitors in general and specific pros and cons of these two brands.

BirdingRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I think that ALL the pressure pro systems are the same.
bigmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #3
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
Both are pressure-pro products. Doran is a distributer of pressure-pro. Had one go bad and Doran gave me the telephone number of pressur-pro. They replaced it. Good people to work with. And it saved me a tire and damage to our Montana when a tire started going down. The alarm went off on the interstate and scared the He.. out of me. We were able to limp into a reststop and had Good Sam Emergency road service change the tire.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:01 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have the system but we are thinking it is a good investment in terms of safety. We did replace all of our OEM valve stems and we seem to be holding pressure now. If you are on the road as much as most of the long timers and full timers are you need to consider the system and the added safety margin it provides.. The system is in our plans.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:51 AM   #5
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
In Nov. 06 while on our way to the Rio Grande valley for the winter. We had the misfortune of having two Tredit Aluminum wheels crack. A month before our departure we were warned about the wheels having problems. And said we should replace them or get the Pressure Pro System. We decided to get the Pressure Pro system and I have no doubt it saved us from a lot of damaged to our 5er. When we lost the first wheel the system alarm went off and let us know. And it did the same thing again on the second wheel cracked in less than two hundred miles. About 90% of all tire failure is caused by low air pressure. And when you replace the side of your 5er you will pay a lot more in money and down time. While in South Texas we seen first hand what it can do to the Montana's on two different occasions. And its nice to just push a button and get the Air pressure in all 10 tires. Good luck on your decision...GBY...

P.S. We did replace all the Tredit wheels with the Alcoa Aluminum wheels. They look so much better......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:54 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
QUESTION On the Doran system.. Do you put the sensors on the inside dual wheels..Don't see how they can work there ot even fit??? Rv cams has the system for 590.00 with 8 sensors. is that good or bad?? Sensors are 50.00 each. Would i need the external antenna..F-350 long bed and 3400 camper???
Old 04-28-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
Gonfishin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3604
Rich, I don't know about the inside wheels of the dully but you shouldn't need the antenna. I have a 3670 and a short bed and haven't had a problem getting a signal. As a matter of fact I can back up to the fence my coach is behind and get a signal so I don't think you would have a problem. BTW I wouldn't do without my Pressure Pro System.
Rick.
Gonfishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:47 AM   #8
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
I have Pressure Pros on the inside duals on our Dodge. I had to use short valve stems to clear the Balance Masters that mount between the wheels. I do not have the external antenna on a long box with tool boxes. I did mount the receiver on the overhead console.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:04 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Perhaps someone who has the system on a Ford Dually will tell me if the sensors will fit..they are pressure pro sensors. Looks like I will not need the external antenna and I was planning mount the receiver up high in the truck.We have decided to purchse the system before we hit the long road again..Flat tires scare the *&6%%%@@ out of me..
Old 04-28-2007, 12:15 PM   #10
bigmurf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #538
Rich: You could also install a hose (rubber) on the inner wheel and mount the pressure cap on the hub outside the wheel.
Old 04-28-2007, 01:29 PM   #11
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
One thing I left out is make sure the pressure pro is snug tight against the valve stem. I had a tire go down this weekend and when I took off the pressure-pro transmitter, it was loose. I must have not tighten it up when I put them on letting the air pressure go down while i was parked. I inflated the tire and it is still holding air at 80 lbs. I still like them.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
harleyrider
Montana Master

M.O.C. #627
I also have the system.Going on my 4th year with it.Other thing to consider is thief.Just a month or so ago I had all 4 sensers stolen off my truck.I think it happened in a wal-Mart.

They do make locks for the sensers.I didn`t have them and it will cost me 200 bucks to replace the ones that walked away.
harleyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:02 AM   #13
DonandBonnie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5906
We have the Pressure Pro on all six tires of our Silverado dually. There is no problem screwing them on. The sensor is nothing more than an enlarged valve stem cap. If you check the Doran web site, they can direct you to the nearest dealer. We got our unit in mid February. The sensors were $40 each, not $50. Perhaps each dealer is different. Ours was ordered through the Canton Bandag Co. They are the Pressure Pro dealer for our area. We are told that the battery in the sensors will last 3-4 years and that they can be traded in for new for around $8. The owner of Canton Bandag tells me that he has had Pressure Pro on his truck for over 3 years and has only had to replace one sensor in that time. Granted the entire system is expensive, $495 plus state tax for the display monitor and six sensors. I will get four more sensors as soon as we get the Big Sky.
DonandBonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 03:19 AM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Rv cams sells the system for exactly the same price as directly from Doran....10 sensor system 690.00.