Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-11-2007, 02:49 AM   #1
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Bearing grease job

Well the last day and a half I've been doing the full wheel bearing grease job. Just had one for my four seals leak a small amount of grease through the rear seal. Went to the local NAPA for new seals and found that next time I'll order new seals from Dexter. NAPA seals $8.99 for cheapy, OEM $16.00, Dexter $6.60 plus shipping. After nearly 25000 mile no real surprises to see bearing look good, brakes near half life. Repacked the bears was Mobile 1 synthetic grease.
Would like to report that after the first magnet wire that failed I covered all the wires with Flex tube wire loom. All the brake wires look good, clips have stayed in place, loom is holding up well with the heat in the hubs. SeeYa

Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:15 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
I agree ... NAPA is pretty proud of anything they sell, but in rural communities, that's about all you have to choose from. Other options are about any trailer supply house carries these seals as well in the $5 to 6$ range. Redneck Trailer Sales, BRC Bearings, Tractor Supply, Atwoods, Orschlens ... just to name a few here in the plains states.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 02:57 PM   #3
Native Tex
Montana Master

M.O.C. #375
I did the same last summer when I had the wheels and hubs off to adjust brakes. I did not remove bearings but did examine them and repack with white lithium wheel bearing grease.
Native Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Illini - showing my ignorance, but what is Flex tube wire loom? I'm picturing those ribbed plastic tubes my tow vehicle has around most of the wiring under the hood? Are they resistant/more resistant to heat than the wiring that came already installed? I thought that kind of stuff was put on to just minimize chafing and to collect wires into an organized sort of manner. Never thought about heat protection. But then maybe what I have in mind isn't what you are referring to. Thanks for any clarification. Mike
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Hi Mike You're exactly correct with you're thinking. The reason I have used the loom in the brake drum is to prefect the chafing around in the brake drum to prevent the wires from wearing on the brake actuator arm. This was the first look at the hub and brakes in 12000 miles and wanted to note that the loom can protect the wires and can last in the heat around the brakes.

In this topic "noneck" shows the wire wear problem
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=19005

On the Prodigy brake controller the problem can show up as a OL "overload" and SH "short" flashing at the controller.
Old 01-13-2007, 05:05 PM   #6
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
I have not had my wheel bearings apart on my Montana yet , but on my previous Kit Fivers with Dexter axles , the OEM seals were very cheap with no springs under the seal lips. The replacement seals I bought were better quality and had springs.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 04:33 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Just took off all of my hubs and found some grease on one of my linings. Oh my current seals all have the springs.

I thought about NAPA so thanks for the warning. The nearest Alko distributor is Ocala and is a good 2 hour drive. I hate to do it but would like to use Alko/haynes parts. I will replace all of my linings, seals and one magnet.

If anyone has a website that uses Alko/Haynes parts I would sure appreciate some recommendations so I don't have to go to Ocala.

I am using a NLGI Grade 2 grease with a dropping point of 500F.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 05:01 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Thats what I found at NAPA the cheaper seals had NO springs.

Tom what kind of miles did you get on your brake pad and I see you have an older Monty are they OEM pads. Did you find the locater at the Alko web site I'll list it here
http://www.al-kousa.com/searcher.asp

Dexter says to use a Lithium Complex grease, but I don't think I went wrong with Mobile 1 because I didn't mix any two types.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:22 AM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Dennis,

I lost track of the miles after 50k. I bought the unit used after 14 mos so I don't know how many miles the other owners put on it.

Only one set of linings has greese on them. Alko says to replace them at 1/16 of an inch and they all measure 1/8 of an inch. Drums in great condition. But I think I will just replace them anyway. All bearings and races in like new condition. Linings are probably OEM, not sure.

I smoked my brakes last year when the emergency disconnect actuated. So just to make sure I will replace the brakes.

I found etrailerpart.com that is part of Southwest Wheel Company listed in the Alko catalog. Prices seem reasonable at 23.95 per wheel. Magnet kit is 19.95 Complete spring kit with brake adjuster is 4.95. Haven't found the seal price yet.

May just drive to Ocala. I like to see my parts.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:17 PM   #10
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Tom .. Are there any Redneck Trailer Sales, Tractor Supply, or Trailer Parts and Equipment stores near you? They all carry good quality seals at reasonable prices that will fit your hubs.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
dieselguy,

Thanks but I think I will stick to standard parts. It will probably cost more. There are lots of trailer sales around and I will give some of them a call before driving a long distance. I just prefer parts that known to be ok such as from Alko.

However if anyone has used an internet supplier that they have had good luck with, I might try them.

The discussion above about the seals without springs from NAPA, I don't want to take a chance with. If they don't hold then the linings will be ruined.

The seals I took off my hubs are good quality (springs and double seal). I just waited a little to long. I need seals that have a double rubber seal with springs otherwise they may leak.
Old 01-21-2007, 07:14 PM   #12
kmh3212
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6735
You can get the entire backplate assembly for $50-$60 includes everything. 5 bolts and 2 wire splices and your done. Work smart not hard!
kmh3212 is offline   Reply With Quote