Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-31-2021, 01:18 PM   #1
Tarheel5

M.O.C. #28762
General Begining

Hello

We are new to having a Montana and fifth wheel, can someone point me in the right direction as the factory supplied documents are not helpful. We have a 2019 Montana 331rl and as we find out shelf trying to learn there are a few bumps. Trying to figure out what a couple switches are such as inside cabinet with controls there is a large lite switch not sure what it does, few other switches as well. Also prepping for warmer weather and the main air conditioner wont come on, sorry newbie questions here but frustrating

Jack

Tarheel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:03 PM   #2
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
First things first... Welcome to the forums! and hope you have many great new adventures with your Montana!

Now, down to business. Let's start very, very basic, and the most logical question to ask is? First? Is your camper plugged into "shore power" (electricity) from an RV power receptacle? And second? Does your camper have a battery or has it been removed? If you have a battery, do you know if it's charged up or not?

Let's start there, very basic, but sometimes, even the most basic things are not known by brand - brand - brand new RV owners.
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 02:04 PM   #3
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The large home type paddle switch in the control panel controls power to the ceiling fan/light in the LR.

As for the other switches, a picture of them will help answer about their function.

Can you be more specific about the A/C not working? Thermostat settings? Any sounds?

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:05 PM   #4
Tarheel5

M.O.C. #28762
Thank you for you insight plugged in on lot seasonal figured it was best to go seasonal first year. Has batteries and there charged, figured out paddle switch is fan as Carl stated. Tripped a breaker and ac is working thanks feel like a idiot as even small issues are a lot to figure out.lol I will get it frustrating reading manufacturer’s manuals as there not much help. Appreciate it a lot
Tarheel5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:15 PM   #5
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Hang in there Tarheel5. Every one of us was brand new to all of this stuff to and it seems it's always a constant learning experience. About the time you finally get something figured out ... BAM! These RV throw another WHAMMY at you! And then you've got to figure things out all over again. Each item is a learning curve. But one by one as things happen, you learn. These forums are a great source of help. They've saved my goose many, many times and spared me the cost of a service charge when I figured out what the problem was and fixed it myself. A bit of common logic and a LOT of guess work, asking questing about your Montana on these forums, and watching YouTube videos (a very good friend by the way), absolutely everything on your camper is covered. Good luck! Enjoy that new Montana!
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 10:51 AM   #6
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
My biggest problem was running over the curb when cornering. This lasted for almost 2 years until I got used to WIDE turns and go slow. Now I kind of can gauge when to crank the wheel on a turn.
Now I have to (re-)learn how to back up. I usually go for pull thrus, but have several back-ins coming up in the next 2 weeks!s

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 04:12 PM   #7
team bradfield
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19994
Welcome! It will get easier, I have 2 switches not marked in my control panel, the big rocker as Carl called out for the fan, then one small one is for the LED lights on the cap.

Once you manage backing up, you will get comfortable, I actually like the challenge to a tight spot, we camped at a SP, the site was between trees, I had a large crowd of spectators drinking Wisconsin canned water placing bets, piece of cake, they even applauded, DW even smiled

The "Black Pearl"-2017 3731FL Legacy Package
2017 F-450 Platinum, 6.7 PSD
team bradfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:38 PM   #8
Moondragon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25935
Switches

Have someone stand outside while you flip switches, and tell you what they did so you can mark them. Either use white nail polish or tape a piece of paper inside the door. There is one switch that will do absolutely nothing.....until you actually plug in the awning lights that they stuck in the island drawer.
We also have a 331rl. We got wire racks at Wally World to double the shelf space in the cabinets. We filled the washer/dryer space with plastic slide out drawers to supplement the suggestion of a bureau in the bedroom. Also put some into the pantry closet. Hang a sound bar behind the tv, put the satellite speakers behind the theater seating.
Moondragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
laverdur
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11972
There is always a learning curve. This forum will help flatten that curve. Make wide turns and use a lane on the outside of the turn if possible so that you have more room to use. A 5er tracks a tighter circle than a TT when turning at slow speeds so always allow extra room. I'm an avid DIY person and never found anything I could not fix. That said, when it comes to factory manuals on the gadgets in my Monty, they leave a lot to be desired. Thank goodness for the internet.
Old 06-06-2021, 06:01 PM   #10
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
My biggest problem was running over the curb when cornering. This lasted for almost 2 years until I got used to WIDE turns and go slow. Now I kind of can gauge when to crank the wheel on a turn.
Now I have to (re-)learn how to back up. I usually go for pull thrus, but have several back-ins coming up in the next 2 weeks!s
I learned the secret to backing a fiver years ago: put one hand on the bottom of the steering wheel. Move it the direction you want the back of the trailer to go! Also, when backing, start the turn EARLY. If you see you are not going to make the proper turn, pull forward a bit and get a better aim.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote