Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Solar, Charging Systems, Batteries and Electrical
Click Here to Login

Old 12-18-2020, 02:10 PM   #61
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW Fireguy View Post
Beagleman I dont know if this will help or just be more Manderin but here is a Victron document that describes the different usage scenarios of their autotransformer.

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload...nd-100A-EN.pdf

If you are going with dual Multiplus IC's I am going to assume that you want to power each side of your split bus Progressive Dynamics RV panel. This will essentially put you into what is known as a split phase installation of your Multiplus's. This choice or selection presents the issue of how to get both IC's to connect to an incoming power source when the power source is single phase. This is where the autotransformer comes in. When your rig is being fed with a single phase input like a 30A campgrround pedestal the autotransfomer creates another output let which the Multiplus connected to that output detects as out of phase with the leg feeding Multiplus number 1. Bottom line it allows both Multi's to connect to the incoming 120V supply. The autotransformer can also be used to balance the load between the two multi's. Tthis prevents the scenario where multi number 1 has 40 amps of load while multi number 2 is doing nothing. The autotransformer would balance the 40 amp load over both multi's. You have the option of either load balancing OR step up functionality with a single autotranforrmer. You will need two autotransformers if you want to do both simultaniously. If you purchase an Onan that only outputs a single 120v output or two outputs that have been strapped meaning they are the same phase this also will prevent the second multi from connecting to the AC incoming source in split phase. The autotransformer is needed in this scenario in step up mode like the 30A campground scenario. Both are single phase inputs feeding a split phase configuration.
Getting better at understanding it. I read that post again and this one with the upload. Making more sense now. I apologize for the Mandarin comment. Was just to show how lost I am. But, yes, I am getting the flow on how a ATF works now. I may need to incorporate one into my array. But, thats just the general list as I have seen from others I am following. Steven Lewis uses a ATF in his 397TH Momentum, but he also has more CC than I do. So, we will see what I can load in my ine to keep it weight-safe and get whatever energy I am requiring. Getting there tho!!!

BeagleMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 02:12 PM   #62
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleur_gg@outlook.com View Post
Just go in you tube and look for Prowse. He is a whiz on solar and it will answer all of your questions
I will. Checked him out a little and he is a VERY bright young man. I am preparing a message for him today. Let you know if he answers back.
Old 12-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #63
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
@66 Galaxie....Thats a heck of 377 on that HC, But, dang!! 12 panels??!! I do not think I will need that many. Have not been on my roof yet, DW is disallowing me until my healthcare kicks back in....LOL, but from walking the Beagles and looking up there from a distance, I can see that I have 2 A/Cs, 2 Winegard domes, 2 Vents, 1 skylight in the rear over shower and some small black pod, Jaboni item? MC4? Do not really know about that one. But, I am thinking at the most 8 REC 330 watt panels up there. We shall see early next week. That will be 2640 watts of panels. That should be enough to go with, could it not?
Old 12-18-2020, 03:13 PM   #64
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
To ALL who have commented....

On the Jaboni site, it lists a 300 Watt Solar Panel, Mounting hardware kit, included, for $774.

On NAWS site, there are 300 watt and more, up to 370 watt panels for HALF the price or more. What am I missing here? NAWS lists panels that are Monocrystalline and Module. What do those mean?

Thanks!
Old 12-18-2020, 05:03 PM   #65
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Mono vs poly short answer is poly are generally cheaper and mono are generally a little more shade tolerant. More important to make sure whatever panel you buy has bypass diodes.

Jaboni was primarily an OEM supplier that I guess is offering retail now as well. When it comes to panels you can find a wide variety of pricing. All things equal use price per watt to help you level the playing field.
PNW Fireguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 05:21 PM   #66
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Mono vs poly short answer is poly are generally cheaper and mono are generally a little more shade tolerant. More important to make sure whatever panel you buy has bypass diodes.

Jaboni was primarily an OEM supplier that I guess is offering retail now as well. When it comes to panels you can find a wide variety of pricing. All things equal use price per watt to help you level the playing field.
Ok, thank you so much for that assessment. Clears things up for me some. How do I tell if a panel has bypass diodes? Are those listed on their spec sheets? Why such a huge price differential? Jaboni 300 Watt panel(Mono) is around $774 and a REC 370 watt panel is $360? That's quite a difference.

"Price per watt"? Obviously the Jaboni would have a higher cost per watt, correct? $2.58 for a 300 watt vs $1.02 per watt on a 370 watt. Might be apples and oranges there, but just using the most REC has vs the most Jaboni has listed.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:58 PM   #67
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleMan View Post
@66 Galaxie....Thats a heck of 377 on that HC, But, dang!! 12 panels??!! I do not think I will need that many. Have not been on my roof yet, DW is disallowing me until my healthcare kicks back in....LOL, but from walking the Beagles and looking up there from a distance, I can see that I have 2 A/Cs, 2 Winegard domes, 2 Vents, 1 skylight in the rear over shower and some small black pod, Jaboni item? MC4? Do not really know about that one. But, I am thinking at the most 8 REC 330 watt panels up there. We shall see early next week. That will be 2640 watts of panels. That should be enough to go with, could it not?
The Jaboni item is your docking port. It takes Amy panel with an MC4 connector.
66 Galaxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #68
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
The Jaboni item is your docking port. It takes Amy panel with an MC4 connector.
Ok, thank you! So, I am thinking I will never use this with my set up, will I? Do I get rid of it? Just let it sit?
Old 12-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #69
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Ok, thank you so much for that assessment. Clears things up for me some. How do I tell if a panel has bypass diodes? Are those listed on their spec sheets? Why such a huge price differential? Jaboni 300 Watt panel(Mono) is around $774 and a REC 370 watt panel is $360? That's quite a difference.

"Price per watt"? Obviously the Jaboni would have a higher cost per watt, correct? $2.58 for a 300 watt vs $1.02 per watt on a 370 watt. Might be apples and oranges there, but just using the most REC has vs the most Jaboni has listed.
Generally speaking, any panel with MC4 connectors will work. If you're unit came with a Jaboni panel, you just need find another with a similar open circuit voltage and max power voltage.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:05 PM   #70
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
Ok, thank you! So, I am thinking I will never use this with my set up, will I? Do I get rid of it? Just let it sit?

You'll use it. It will support 30amps of solar. If you run 40v panels to the mppt chargers, you can attach 1200w of panel. Use 40v panels in series parallel and the potential is 2400w.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #71
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Well, mine did not come with a panel. Just prepped for it and I did not take one. So, still, I can look for panels that feed into that docking port? Or could I change it to a busbar or combiner box?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:22 AM   #72
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
If you are going the equipment route from your updated post you won’t be using or. Ending the ORM supplied Jaboni stuff. Stick with the Victron MPPT’s and you will be happy. Make sure you size your model appropriately taking into account the temp correction. Otherwise you are sure to overload your controller(s). Many calculatirs out there on the internet include Victron site for solar controller sizing.
Old 12-19-2020, 04:35 PM   #73
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
If you are going the equipment route from your updated post you won’t be using or. Ending the ORM supplied Jaboni stuff. Stick with the Victron MPPT’s and you will be happy. Make sure you size your model appropriately taking into account the temp correction. Otherwise you are sure to overload your controller(s). Many calculatirs out there on the internet include Victron site for solar controller sizing.
I sent Steven Lewis my list and to Isa at Battleborn> They said it looks good and to let them know when I get ready to have it done. Also, sent it to The Inverter Center in TN but have not heard back from them yet. Supposedly they would do the instal. But, its not cut and dried yet on installers. Hell, I may just go see Galaxie 66 or you.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:56 PM   #74
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Continuos Resources gave me a significant discount on my Victron equipment. I am DIY and all installers don't react the same way to installing owner provided equipment. Regardless a buck is a buck. Over on FB CR offers 5% to members of the DIY solar group and for the amount of Victron gear you mentioned you should be able to get more as I did. Just food for thought.
Old 12-20-2020, 09:27 AM   #75
66 Galaxie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24885
Quote:
I sent Steven Lewis my list and to Isa at Battleborn> They said it looks good and to let them know when I get ready to have it done. Also, sent it to The Inverter Center in TN but have not heard back from them yet. Supposedly they would do the instal. But, its not cut and dried yet on installers. Hell, I may just go see Galaxie 66 or you.
Send it to johnt@futuresalesrv.com
Old 12-21-2020, 09:43 AM   #76
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66 Galaxie View Post
Thank you, sir.
Old 12-21-2020, 09:45 AM   #77
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Continuos Resources gave me a significant discount on my Victron equipment. I am DIY and all installers don't react the same way to installing owner provided equipment. Regardless a buck is a buck. Over on FB CR offers 5% to members of the DIY solar group and for the amount of Victron gear you mentioned you should be able to get more as I did. Just food for thought.
Thank you. I will look into that page. I am in FB jail at the moment.... I'm not very kind to a certain political party.
Old 12-21-2020, 03:42 PM   #78
PNW Fireguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18081
Well that's funny as all get out.I am almost afraid to ask which one. Not a FB fan by any means but there are some worthwhile groups on there. I digress enough.
Old 12-22-2020, 01:51 PM   #79
Route66Rambler
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23433
12-15 batteries??!! Why would you ever need a generator?? The most I have ever seen is 6 or 8. Good luck.
Route66Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 02:13 PM   #80
BeagleMan
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #27256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route66Rambler View Post
12-15 batteries??!! Why would you ever need a generator?? The most I have ever seen is 6 or 8. Good luck.
Oh, I have pared down from that. I am going with 6 Dragonfly 255AH. That'll be around 450lbs.

The GenSet is just mainly for backup charging for the batteries when the sun is not shining. Always have a backup to the back up.