Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2021, 02:37 PM   #1
skipzhog

M.O.C. #23080
Broken spring mount.

Arrived in Roswell, NM after a blowout on left side. Also found bad tire on right #3 axle. Inspection shows tabs for spring mount have broken off. Has anyone else experienced this kind of failure. Welder doing inspection says it has been a while. Two new tires in a day. Only had 1200 on the one that blew out.

skipzhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 03:36 PM   #2
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
This isn’t a hard fix and yes it has happened before.
Now to the real problem. You have had two blowouts. You need to take a serious look at your tires. What kind of tires do you have? Are they made in China China Bombs. Y should a a set of G rated tires.
Lynwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:08 PM   #3
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Spring mounts can break because of rough roads, simple metal fatigue, or poor welding, and cause an axle to run misaligned, and cause a tire to blow. Springs, mounts and axles should be inspected frequently.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:27 AM   #4
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
If the OP is talking about spring hander brackets then the usual cause of failure of the bracket is poor backing and hard turning practices.. This puts a great amount of stress on the brackets and they will break..

Easy to replace with a new bracket and a person that can weld.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:49 AM   #5
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
You may want to look into adding Morryde X-Factor cross braces. I put 3 of these on my previous 2011 3150RL for added suspension support and some piece of mind. I now have Independent suspension on my 3402RL. Joe.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2021, 08:10 AM   #6
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
I will never again pull one of these behemoths down the road without the Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes. Just saying.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 06:33 AM   #7
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I will never again pull one of these behemoths down the road without the Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes. Just saying.
Those items are a nice addition if you have the bucks .. I don't.. and in 45 years of RVing I've never broken a spring hanger nor had a blowout..

The OEM suspension/brakes will do quite nicely if the RV is loaded within reason, towed at sensible speeds and maintained on a routine basis...
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:09 AM   #8
beeje
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17894
Click image for larger version

Name:	broken camper suspendsion.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	8243
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Those items are a nice addition if you have the bucks .. I don't.. and in 45 years of RVing I've never broken a spring hanger nor had a blowout..

The OEM suspension/brakes will do quite nicely if the RV is loaded within reason, towed at sensible speeds and maintained on a routine basis...
-To me its not about the $$$ (I get it if you don't have it. I did not have it either)
-Its about your safety/your loved ones safety and safety of those on the road around you
-"Towing for 45 years" you got me beat there. But keep in mine, you did NOT tow the behemoth units of today for all those years. I would bet most of those years were towing much smaller/lighter units.
-Knock on wood, but I have also never had a blowout of any kind on anything I have ever driven. No broken hangers either. That's because I'm an anal maintenance kind of guy.
- IMHO the suspension/brakes on these heavy campers are not only inadequate, but dangerous.

- The pic is from 2016. That's what I found upon coming home from a trip to the western MD mountains. And check the suspension every time I stop. This was the 3rd time a wet bolt was either missing or broken.
- Think about that, now only one bolt is holding the axle on. If the other bolt brakes while towing down a mountain pass, myself/my passengers and those behind me could have easily lost their lives.
-I replaced the entire suspension after I found that missing bolt and continued to have issues.

It took years to save up the funds to have the IS put on, but it well worth it.
beeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 12:09 PM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We pull thousands of miles a year.Yes the IS is expensive but we had it installed. The OEM suspension IMO may be OK for the low user.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 02:43 PM   #10
glendodom
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22698
X-Factor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUSNRET View Post
You may want to look into adding Morryde X-Factor cross braces. I put 3 of these on my previous 2011 3150RL for added suspension support and some piece of mind. I now have Independent suspension on my 3402RL. Joe.
Ref the mortadella x-factor, in reading the instructions it notes no drilling nor welding required. By this I presume it fits into existing holes? Did u install? How much time and effort for putting the three on?
glendodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 05:00 PM   #11
JoeUSNRET
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #25489
Yes, they are a direct bolt on. I had Boise Springsworks do the installation of 2 inch risers, full heavy duty wet-bolt kit and the three X-factor cross braces. Total cost for the installation of everything was only $340.00. which did not include the cost of the parts. they had everything done within 2.5 hours. I put the risers on so the trailer would be level when hooked up to the RAM 3500. Everything worked great for the three trips I took for a total of about two thousand miles last year. Joe.
2020 RAM 3500 Mega, Dually, 4:10, HO CTD, Aisin.
JoeUSNRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2021, 11:35 PM   #12
DaveS1949

M.O.C. #22221
2008 3000RK from California to Florida through Quartzite etc. Bad roads through Orlando, pulled into our destination an hour later, swung to the side in the parking lot and the rig rolled one side over onto the tire. Cracked frame and bent hangers. We had a mobile mechanic/welder repair enough to get to a great repair facility who informed us that this was somewhat common on the Montana’s of this era. A “kit” was available for this repair ( how convenient to already have a kit engineered for this problem ) which included wet bolts, heavier hangers and a gusseted cross brace. $5800 and a week later it was rock solid and never been a problem since then. We were so very lucky that it failed at our destination and not in traffic. Four years later and probably 15000 miles all is well.
DaveS1949 is offline   Reply With Quote