Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 01-27-2020, 04:27 PM   #1
hellraizor31

M.O.C. #25706
2020 Montana Legacy Furnace cycling

I have a brand new Montana Legacy 3791RD with the full body paint. One would think if you pay 80 grand for a 5th wheel you wouldn't have any issues right? Wrong! The first night I fired up the furnace I noticed it cycling about every 30 seconds. It would get up to the temp on the IN-COMMAND screen and then shut down. 30 Seconds later the temp on the thermostat would drop 3 degrees instantly and the furnace would come back on. This happened all night for the next two weeks before I got an appointment with the dealer. Problem is I live in this RV for work so dropping it off at their location is not an option. So needless to say I had to figure out the problem myself. It turns out to be a design flaw straight from Keystone. ALL Montana 5th wheels in 2020 with the IN-COMMAND system have the temp sensor in each HVAC unit. One in the bedroom and one in the living room. The problem is the heat register in the bedroom blows directly on the inlet to the HVAC that controls the temperature. When the furnace completes its burn cycle the fan runs for a while to cool off the assembly inside the furnace. At the end of its cooling cycle the air coming out of the register is almost ice cold. This cold air coming out of the register blowing on the HVAC inlet is what has the whole system jacked up. The fix is simple. All you have to do is replace your floor register in your bedroom to an adjustable register so you can aim it away from your HVAC inlet. I just did this fix to my RV and it works great. its 20 degrees out right now and my furnace only runs for about 2 minutes every 30 minutes. Problem solved...

hellraizor31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 09:19 PM   #2
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Great tip thank you I have the same model with Legacy and paint
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2020 montana legacy, montana furnace cycling