Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2005, 02:08 PM   #1
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Sudden Slide Leak

Iam quite baffeled about a sudden slide leak in our kitchen slide on our 3400. We have had the unit for a year and have been in some quite severe storms and no leaks. All of a sudden after several days of rain here in Fredericksburg this afternoon the kitchen slide started to leak at the floor under the refer. Does anyone have any ideas of what could have happened. The rain was blowing pretty hard against that side of the Monty this morning but after a outside inspection all the rubber seals seemed to be in place.
Bill

William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #2
vickir
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2215
Hi Bill ... Steve asked if you checked the black tube that comes out of the outside refrigerator vent ... if got pushed in or clogged, it might be causing your problem.
vickir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
We have had the same problem in the kitchen slide. On the way back home from Florida last year we had a travelling day where it rained heavily most of the way. When we put the slide out the floor was wet. Our Dealer is going to look after it in April when we take it in. There does not appear to be a leak while it is being stored.
The other slides were fine. Diana
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:51 PM   #4
Montana_2785
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2785
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by DiananColin

We have had the same problem in the kitchen slide. On the way back home from Florida last year we had a travelling day where it rained heavily most of the way. When we put the slide out the floor was wet. Our Dealer is going to look after it in April when we take it in. There does not appear to be a leak while it is being stored.
The other slides were fine. Diana
Which floor plan do you have? Does your kitchen slide happen to be over the wheels? Especially, is the wet area right over the wheels? I noticed that in November when we pulled our newly aquired 2002 3575RL home. We had a full day of rain and I found the carpet wet just above the wheels on that side (Actually, just behind the tires where the rear most tire would be sending spray up...) I suspect that the road spray from the wheels on our main computer desk/dining room slide seeped through the felt seal just above the tires.

Has anyone else traveled a long distance on wet highways and noticed the same thing? I suspect that this is a systemic weakness with any slide right over tires.

I'm starting to try to figure out if I can rig up an internal fender to 1) Deflect road spray and 2) contain a tire. The previous owner had a tire shed its outer skin. I asked the him if he had had tire trouble and he said yes with a real puzzled look on his face. He didn't know how I could have possibly known that. I could tell from a bent bracket. I've repaired enough damage from tires on my old TT that I would really rather contain the damage on the Monty if at all possible. My goal is to keep this Monty for 10-15 years...

An internal fender will be difficult due to all the slide mechanism's and brackets under the slide.

Eric
Montana_2785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 06:46 AM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Yes, we have water under the slide when driving in a lot of rain. For quite awhile now under the kitchen slide and this last trip we also got it under the LR slide. Our dealer has tried twice to fix the leak under the kitchen slide. And failed both times. But we can see daylight at each end of the slide when retracted so ours is a problem with the seals.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 07:45 AM   #6
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We had a loose plumbing connection that came apart and water showed up under the refrig. The water had run from plumbing closer to the stove but showed up near the 'frig. Just something else to consider.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 12:49 PM   #7
DiananColin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #447
Send a message via Yahoo to DiananColin
Eric Roellig

We have the 3400RL. Your question regarding the wheels. Yes the kitchen slide is over the wheels, so perhaps that is the problem. I will make that suggestion to the Service department when we take it in in April.
DiananColin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
DiananColin, they should be able to use a high pressure water hose to duplicate your on-road water problem if it is coming from the wheels.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 02:57 AM   #9
applejack
Established Member

M.O.C. #702
I am assuming that you were parked when the leak occured. If this is the case the driving rain probably came in thru the slotted fridge cover on the outside of the trailer. I had a motorhome that did that one time .
applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2005, 11:30 AM   #10
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
I think I have determined what my problem was. I ran the slide in half way and then got up on top the counter to check the seals. It appeared by the water mark on the top of the slide that the top black rubber outer seal did not turn out when the slide was put out allowing water to blow under it and down the inside of the slide. I will have to check these more carefully in the furture. I guess I will find out the next hard rain I experience.
Bill
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 07:51 AM   #11
Montana_3165

M.O.C. #3165
I have had that happen twice on two privious trailers we had. It was due to heavy rain and wind blowing towards the side of trailer where refrigerater is located. The rain blows in the vents and runs down to the floor. In heavy rains with no wind we have never had a problem. I would not worry about it unless it happens every time it rains.
Bob Soon to Retire
Montana_3165 is offline   Reply With Quote