Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Kitchen slide damage

Howdy MOCers!

I'm hoping someone can help me find out what is causing the damage to the underbelly of my kitchen slide (2017 3791RD).

I have searched this Forum and find no similar issues.

I have tried poking around on the inside and outside to see what is causing the rubbing/abrasion to no avail.

It looks like the rubber seal is starting to twist and unseat which may be due to my attempt at removing it. I quit the removal attempt and re-installed the screws once I determined that the seal is more involved than just an external wiper seal.

We are starting to notice some abrasion damage on the kitchen floor as well.

Please find the attached pics and thanks for your support!

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3791RD-002.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	2010   Click image for larger version

Name:	3791RD-001.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	212.3 KB
ID:	2011  

KIEHLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 03:16 PM   #2
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Looks to me from the one picture you posted that you have something that has gotten under the slide and is scraping the underside of it. Is your warranty up yet on your unit? If not, take it to your dealer and have them check to see if they can raise it up a little and see if there is actually something under it between the slide and the floor itself.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:44 AM   #3
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
UPDATE:

Things deteriorated quickly...

In my quest to discover and repair I ran the slide in a bit to raise it and peak in there to no avail. I'm at a campsite with limited tools and resources.

In and out...up and down...whatever is causing the abrasion damage finally pulled the seal out of its mooring.

It appears that the kitchen slide...the heaviest of them all, runs on a cheap plastic extrusion which is only stapled to the floor and poorly screwed into the side from the outside.

If there are wear pads or rollers in there I can't see them and now the slide is sitting right on the floor with no clearance.

I plan to borrow some screw jacks to lift the slide and insert some nylon runners between the slide and the floor to get the slide in. Then off to the dealer!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1138.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	277.6 KB
ID:	2020   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1141.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	257.6 KB
ID:	2021   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1144.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	2022   Click image for larger version

Name:	01.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	2023  
Old 08-01-2018, 08:00 AM   #4
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Once you mess with it, your warranty is void, but Keystone probably wouldn’t honor it anyway. When we first started having trouble with our slide not extending or retracting smoothly, the dealer was instructed by Keystone to install rollers under all the slides (this didn’t fix that problem). I have seen other HC’s with rollers now, so either this is how they are making them, or others have had the same warranty “fix”. Now the undersides of my two large slides are wearing out like yours, where the rollers contact the slide bottom. It doesn’t help matters that Keystone uses that cheap “Harbor Freight” poly tarp crap as a covering.

Good luck with getting this fixed, and let us know what happens.
Old 08-01-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
It looks like that side of the slide has dropped do you have a Residential frig on that end of the slide? the hole floor looks like it is saging down in your pic. Now that you have the wiper off can you see anything in there?
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #6
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Our rig came with the slide rollers as well, I spray them with slide lube when lubing the rest of the slide. Lisa says she can really tell a difference after lubing all the slides and seals.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:05 AM   #7
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
If your kitchen floor is being scratched get some lexan and put on the floor for the slide to slide upon.

I would suggest a reputable rv repair shop over a dealers shop for the repairs. This issue looks like surgery is needed. Sorry for the bad luck. Let us know how it goes.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:18 AM   #8
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
floor sag?

BuilderBob - is this where you see the sag? Looks like the fridge is on the other side If my perspective is correct.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2018-08-01_12-14-51.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	2025  
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:23 AM   #9
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
I am past the one year warranty that this poor design and installation quality was intended to survive past.

I think the floor sagging is an optical illusion.

I cannot see anything in there as the bottom of the slide sits directly on top of interior floor.

I intend to jack it up until I can see daylight, spray it out really well with compressed air, add some mesh tape where the abrasion has worn thru on the underbelly, spray the underbelly with dry lube, and insert some high wear nylon sheet/strips between slide bottom and interior flooring to get the slide in.

We are just beginning to notice some scratches on the kitchen floor. but nothing that needs repaired/replaced yet.

I'll need all the luck I can get.

thanks!
Old 08-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #10
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
Yes! now that I see the layout that you have the stove on are unit the Frig is right there. I think KIEHLS is correct it mite be an optical illusion. It looks like the floor on the slide is lower than wiper strip.
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #11
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
UPDATE 2:

there are no rollers or wear strips other than the black piece poorly installed with staples which twisted its way out of position at the first sign of resistance.

Temporary wear pads installed...slicker than an oyster in a snot storm.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1150.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	227.9 KB
ID:	2037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1152.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	2038   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1154.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	2039  
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2018, 08:40 AM   #12
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
With this additional information it appears that the slide is adjusted too low. Meaning that where the slide attaches to the two retract/extend arms, the slide may need to be adjusted upwards. With the weight of the slide off of that contact area of damage. The slide will be supported by the arms and the "wear bar" that rubs on the floor.
Old 08-03-2018, 10:35 AM   #13
Fireater99
Established Member

M.O.C. #12310
We had the same issue on our 2012 345 DBQ. Ours was outside the warranty once the repair was made, however we noticed the problem from almost day one. The local dealer kept replacing the damaged section with the black tape and never addressed the issue at hand. We took the camper back to the selling dealer, who repaired the issue, fixed damage the correct way free of charge, just had to provide him with all the previous documentation.
Fireater99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 12:12 PM   #14
KIEHLS
Established Member

M.O.C. #19410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
With this additional information it appears that the slide is adjusted too low. Meaning that where the slide attaches to the two retract/extend arms, the slide may need to be adjusted upwards. With the weight of the slide off of that contact area of damage. The slide will be supported by the arms and the "wear bar" that rubs on the floor.
I wondered if it is an adjustment issue, but it seems that regardless of how high the slide is adjusted upwards on the two arms it will always bear weight on the 'wear bar'. But it might more evenly distribute the weight along the length rather than loading it up at the location that got damaged. I'm re-reading the adjustment instructions to make sure I get it dialed in.

if by 'wear bar' you mean the piece that twisted its way out from under the slide.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #15
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
By wear bar I mean the part of the slide that rubs on the kitchen floor on the slides way in, and out. It slides in and out with the slide, and is part of the slide, not the trailer framework. It looks like from your pics the damage is mostly on one side of the slide. I would start by raising that side of the slide first.

The bottom of the slide shouldn't be rubbing on the trailer frame, meaning that the slide bottom isn't load bearing. It is the adjusters and the wear bar that bear the load.

Describing this is difficult but if you work it long enough you will soon master it. Besides it will keep the knuckle draggers at the dealer from having to work on your rig. I did similar work on my 3160. When adjusting, make small adjustments at a time, quarter inch, and measure for squareness of the slide in the trailer. Good job with the plastic on the kitchen floor. You could get by with the two outer pieces if you like.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #16
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
There will be part of the slides in and out cycle where the slide will "teeter totter" on the frame of the trailer but I didn't want to confuscate the basic operation of the slide. Let us know how it goes.
Old 08-08-2018, 01:14 PM   #17
Cafemom6

M.O.C. #19923
3910fb

I hate to hear you are having problems similar to mine. Just after purchasing my 2015 3910FB a scratch appeared on the kitchen floor. They thought I had a rock under the slide. I left the camper with the shop. They had to jack up the slide to see that a screw was backing out scratching the floor. That was 2 years ago. Now on the same slide a screw has come loose in a different location. I am out of warranty and frustrated that this was a problem with the build but I am going to have to pay to get it fixed. I do not want to make the situation worse so I am not going to attempt to jack up the slide and do the repair myself. Anyone have any suggestions? Does anyone from Keystone monitor this site that can offer me some advice?

Mike McCrickard
Cafemom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:23 PM   #18
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Is it doing any damage to the interior kitchen floor
wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #19
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
My 2017 310re had broken structural welds in the aluminum tubing in the corners on the frame work of the slide. Slide was even square it was sliding in crooked and ripped a triangle tear in the kitchen floor
Old 08-08-2018, 02:33 PM   #20
wade
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #22358
Have pictures of it but being new to this forum it'll take me a bit to learn how to send them once I get to my computer at home