Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 07:09 PM   #1
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
9000 BTU burners to all???

My wife was thinking it would be nice to have ALL the burners be as powerful as the front 9000 BTU burner so my thought would be to change out the 6500btu gas valves to the 9000btu Valve like the front besides using more propane do you see any other problem with that????what do ya think Gang????

Old 12-07-2016, 02:47 AM   #2
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
A smile always comes to my face on the MOC when fulltimer usage intersects with recreational usage. We're a one front burner family and have never even fired up the oven since the PDI. I'd guess the only issue might be the heat on the wall to the rear of the stove or how much heat the microwave vent can handle. Call Atwood or Suburban and pose your question to them.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 03:03 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We do use the back burners (and oven), but my only problem with the back burners is being able to easily turn them down LOW enough to simmer something since they have the different control valve than the front burner. That propane burns HOT.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:38 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Stereotypes are bad. We full time and have never used the oven and seldom use more than the front burner and that maybe less than once a month.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:00 AM   #5
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I am with BB_TX on this one, we use all burners and the oven, but sometimes it is hard to reduce the heat low enough on any of them just to simmer something or keep it warm.
I don't think it is the valves themselves you would have to change, my guess it is only the size of the orifice that determines the heat, on mine it appears there is a common manifold, whether you can change them or not is the question.
I don't see any problem otherwise but also don't see the need with the way we use ours.

Just drill the hole our and you will get all the heat you want.....LOL

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:38 AM   #6
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
My wife does not like to use the Huge Whirlpool Convection oven we have she says it does like the way it cooks so she uses the Oven alot and she LOVES to cook and is always making big dinners and the whimpy back burners just irritate her BUT she did say having just one little back burner for simmering would be O.K. so maybe I will just change one back one to a 9000 BTU burner as I saw on my Atwood manual the Valve would be easy to change out and probably be cheap so I think I will be the Guinea pig on this one and give it a shot,but I think in the Long run I will end up Buying a Brown brand residential stove like they put in high end RV's and apartments and call it good (SHE HOPES) And ED that would be the old Jimmy That would "Jimmy Rig" the valve and drill it out to make it a 20,000 BTU burner but I have gotten older and a "little" wiser
Old 12-07-2016, 07:04 AM   #7
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

And ED that would be the old Jimmy That would "Jimmy Rig" the valve and drill it out to make it a 20,000 BTU burner but I have gotten older and a "little" wiser
Oh come on now where is your sense of adventure, if you screw it up your wife might get her wish sooner rather than later....
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Or it would just put the Rv up in flames and assuming I am able to get out in time before we perish in a fiery Inferno THEN I would get a new RV with the insurance,I like the way you are thinking ED
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Irlpguy

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bigskyjimmy

And ED that would be the old Jimmy That would "Jimmy Rig" the valve and drill it out to make it a 20,000 BTU burner but I have gotten older and a "little" wiser
Oh come on now where is your sense of adventure, if you screw it up your wife might get her wish sooner rather than later....
Old 12-07-2016, 05:39 PM   #9
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've always wondered about the Tim the Toolman mentality... MORE POWER, ROH, ROH, ROH in the case of range/ovens. But wonder in this case that this might also require a different regulator and supply line, too. I recall going to a fancy oven place years ago, whereby I saw a real powerful range/oven with lots of burners and the salesman showed much glee about its capabilities and even how it required a large pipe to feed it the gas to feed the beast when all flames were going full bore. I guessed that the reason ranges will only have one or no more than two high powered burners because the feed line might make things unsafe.

I am leaving my rangetop alone. However, I can say I wouldn't mind hearing what others may do and how things are working out.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 05:52 PM   #10
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
I am going to do it!! I have $24.99 burning a hole in my pocket and I Dine on Danger and dabble in Death if you do not hear from me on the Forum anymore after the Mod Say a few prayers for me gang somebody has got to be the Guinea pig
Old 12-08-2016, 06:10 AM   #11
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
When they changed from a 4 burner stove to the 3 burner I was told they could only produce so many BTU's total on the cook top by law so I would check the rules governing propane in an RV. If you exceed this number you won't have insurance.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:35 AM   #12
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Nope could not find any rules on that there could be but I could not find any
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by hookman

When they changed from a 4 burner stove to the 3 burner I was told they could only produce so many BTU's total on the cook top by law so I would check the rules governing propane in an RV. If you exceed this number you won't have insurance.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:17 AM   #13
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
I looked thru the NFPA standard on recreational vehicles and did not see any limitations on range BTUs.
Old 12-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
Quote:

Rules for RV's?! Bwaaaaa ha ha ha!!! Hookman made a funny!!!

Suggested standards, ...perhaps. UL/CSA tested and approved appliances are the RVIA's "suggestion".

A more robust backsplash/heat barrier would be a good idea if you do add the different valves, but more for peace of mind than anything else.
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:05 AM   #15
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
yeah I bit my lip on that one(not like me) but I thought I would check anyway,I think I will be just fine and the new 9000 btu valve is on it's way
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Quote:

Suggested standards, ...perhaps. UL/CSA tested and approved appliances are the RVIA's "suggestion".

A more robust backsplash/heat barrier would be a good idea if you do add the different valves, but more for peace of mind than anything else.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:52 PM   #16
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would bet you will have insurance. The insurance co can't pick and choose after they take your money, what they will cover. If you would like 3 high BTU burners go for it and if you are worried about your insurance talk to your agent.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:55 PM   #17
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

Actually there are rules. The National Fire Protection Association NFPA 1192 Standard on Recreational Vehicles has a complete book on "rules" for RVs.