Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-14-2004, 01:36 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Front Jack problem

We have encountered a problem with the front jacks on our new 3670 . The jacks will no longer lift the trailer, just makes a rattling noise. Not electrical, motor runs OK. Jacks will lower and lift by using the hand crank, so what's the problem? I'm thinking some kind of pin, key, or lock screw that connects the motor to the jack gear box. Any other ideas?

Since the trailer is so new, and we are so far from home, I'm going to try to get it in to a Montana dealer here in Birmingham, AL first thing Monday.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 01:59 PM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
Sorry to hear about your problem with the landing gear. I do not know what the problem is, but you may be right that it sheared the pin that connects to the shaft of the motor. But after you get it fixed by the dealer please let us know what the problem was so we will know for future reference.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 02:01 PM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Your system is a lot different than mine since I have no manual crank. One thing that happened to me was the bolts on the motor loosened. In fact I had to put some locktite on the bolts.

Might check the gears to make sure that they are fastened to the shaft and mesh properly. Use a very bright light when inspecting, it really helps.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2004, 03:49 PM   #4
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Sounds like a pin has sheared on the shaft of the motor where the gears meet. If it was the pin in the gear on top of the jack, you would not be able to crank up or down. That was my experience with a hitchhiker 5ver. Not a difficult repair job. Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 03:01 AM   #5
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Lightingjack11,
My 1999 2850RK has access for manually cranking the landing gear through the back wall of the driver's side propane locker. I'm surprised that your's doesn't since our units are about the same age.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 04:46 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our 2001 had that same access through the propane locker. I'd have to check but think our 2003 is different although there is a way to do it. I remember it's in the manual but haven't looked at that in a long time. One of these days I need to get out the manual and go through the drill for manually operating the jacks and all slides, just in case I ever have to do it for real.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 08:21 AM   #7
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Searchers,

It's there!!!!! I never noticed it. The info I was given said it would have to be will a drill motor if the regular motor failed.

Now, where can I get a jack handle?? Anybody know?

Thanks Searchers.
Old 11-15-2004, 09:33 AM   #8
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
normally they come with the unit...unless you bought it used.
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #9
Les and Julie
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1057
Seems like this is a common problem. Keystone should take note! We have had problems with our jacks too but ours problem was caused by a sheared shaft coming out of the main assembly that disabled the curb side jack. The road side assy continued to work. We have been electically lowering the one jack and manually raising and lowering the curb side jack with a crescent wrench. Sounds like a sheared shaft coming out of your motor or a disengaged gear. Our 2004 3380 came with a manual crank but in our case it would only have raised the road side jack. Our problem has been complicated because we are full timing and a long way from home. Many of the dealers recommended by Keystone seem unwilling to do warranty work for us. Good luck on getting a resolution. In the meantime, as long as you can safely raise and lower your jacks you are still in business.
Les and Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 05:42 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Tom...Mine came with two jack handles. One for dropping the spare tire and the other for the rear stabilizers. I don't recall which of them does the job offhand, and my rigs in covered storage about 10 miles away for the winter. I'll try to get out there tomorrow to check and post back.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:35 AM   #11
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Searchers,

The only handle I have is for the rear jacks so I guess I will have to make some.
Old 11-16-2004, 04:49 AM   #12
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Les

Seems like this is a common problem. Keystone should take note! We have had problems with our jacks too but ours problem was caused by a sheared shaft coming out of the main assembly that disabled the curb side jack. The road side assy continued to work. We have been electically lowering the one jack and manually raising and lowering the curb side jack with a crescent wrench. Sounds like a sheared shaft coming out of your motor or a disengaged gear. Our 2004 3380 came with a manual crank but in our case it would only have raised the road side jack. Our problem has been complicated because we are full timing and a long way from home. Many of the dealers recommended by Keystone seem unwilling to do warranty work for us. Good luck on getting a resolution. In the meantime, as long as you can safely raise and lower your jacks you are still in business.
Les, I experienced the same problem from dealers except mine would not be warranty work. They acted like it was going to be a major problem and just didn't want to work on it. Finally after checking with 6 or 7 dealers, one gave me enough info which convinced me I could repair it. Picked up the needed parts after determining the problem from the helpful dealer. It was not difficult to do. I had to do something because neither jack would work and we were on a trip.
Good luck!
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 01:54 PM   #13
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Lightningjack11...The tool used to raise and lower the spare tire fits the front jacks. Perhaps a Montana dealer can supply one or the manufacturer of the jack motor assembly. Good luck!
Old 11-16-2004, 02:12 PM   #14
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Here is the latest on my front jack problem. I called Keystone and they recommended three dealers in the area. I called one, and they were willing to work on it, but could not schedule it until mid December. They said they had so much repair work from the recent hurricanes that they were swamped. I noticed a dealership with same name as we were driving into the campground, and it turned out that they had a branch location quite near our campground who were not as busy, only a week wait. Not wanting to haul the trailer over to the dealer, only to be told that they would have to order a part, I decided to remove the motor/gearbox assembly and take it in for them to check. It is easy to remove, just two screws and two wirenuts and it lifts right out. Once I had it out, it was obvious that the reduction gears were not meshing. The tech at the dealer tried to take it apart to see if it could be fixed, but reported that it was not possible to dissassemble (which is what Keystone told me). An order for a new assembly was faxed to Keystone and by phone, they confirmed that it should be delivered in two to three days. The dealership was helpful and responsive, they are Emerald Coast RV, Robertsdale, AL. Not a Montana dealer, but they do carry Outbacks, also by Keystone.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 02:53 PM   #15
contau lake
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2222
Looks like you have the problem solved, John!!! That's great! Good luck.
contau lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 03:03 PM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's great, John and Donna! Please keep us posted. It's always frustrating to have problems messing with your plans, especially on a brand new rig. At least you were far from the coldest part of winter when this happened, somewhere where you'd get snowed/iced in for a few weeks.
Old 11-17-2004, 07:54 AM   #17
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
I had a problem with my landing gear when I dropped my gear past the "stop" mark. I got a clicking, rattling sound and no elevation. I was able to mannually raise my rig to get back home, so when I went to my very knowledgable service guy, he told me that these motors/gears have a clutch in the system. my rig has a square shaft from one gear to the other. by placeing a crescent wrench on the shaft and torqeing it one way or another you are able to re-engage the clutch and the gears willwork again, mine is an older model,so may be different on newer ones, but I hope this will help anyone will eleivating problems Dave
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 09:57 AM   #18
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dave, thanks. That's really good info to know. I've always wondered how I could tell when I reached the limit of extension. When you refer to the 'stop' mark, is there a physical indication or were you referring to the ratcheting clutch sounds? Thanks.
Old 11-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #19
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Good info Dave.
Old 11-17-2004, 05:29 PM   #20
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Hi Guys; Actually I had a tape on my left landing gear that said "stop" on it. when I excededthat point thats when I got in trouble, everything slipped !!! After I found out about the clutch I was able to put my crescent wrench on it (my shaft is square) and turn it slightly ,then the clutch engaged and I was able to extend my landing gear. On an embarasing note, this spring, when we were taking off for Quartzsite, I tried to elevate my landing gear but the clutch kept slipping, with a GREAT DEAL OF EFFORT, I was able to manully crank up the gear, guess what ? I hadent cranked up my rear stabilizers!!!! I was cranking up the whole rig!! Anyway, after I got this mess up , the next time I used the landing gear, it worked perfectly the clutch works!!
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote