Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2004, 06:52 AM   #1
Montana_1798

M.O.C. #1798
Hot water heater

Well I see the hot water heater is a hot topic. My propane ran low last week so I changed bottles and the hot water heater has not came on since. Working on electricity I guess, which doesn't last as long as when the propane heater is working.
Any ideas on how to get it to working again would be appreciated.

Thanks
The Texan in New Jersey

Montana_1798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:52 AM   #2
faeb and genb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #57
Under your water heater door turn the electric off if you want it to work on LP.
Gene
faeb and genb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 11:26 AM   #3
Montana_381
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #381
A silly question: have you cooked anything with the stove/oven since you refilled the bottles?

If not, you might need to "bleed" the line by lighting one of your stove's burners.

I'm sure that you remembered to turn the bottles' valves on and set the changeover valve.
Montana_381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 09:51 AM   #4
toolmanroy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1745
I had to check before I answered this, but we did our research, and you can run both electric and gas heaters simultaneously. In fact, someone recommended it to us because you get more hot water. It works. We never run out of hot water for showers. Roy checked in the owners manual and then online and they agree. If you are having problems with your gas water heater, you better have it checked out.
toolmanroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 01:46 PM   #5
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
As I understand it the new style LP tanks have a built in safety device that prevents a large amount of LP from escaping from the tank at one time. I have seen instances when changing from a used bottle to a filled one will activate this device because the line going to the regulator has no gas in it. I believe you can close the full bottle, then wait a few minutes and turn it back on and the safety device will reset. You may have to repeat this process several times. Then go inside and light your stove to be sure the line is full of LP. Once that is OK, flip the switch to turn on the LP water heater.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:47 AM   #6
Montana_593
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #593
I have one of those new "protect me from myself" regulators on the gas grill at home. It has led to more than one heated conversation with myself.

Good Luck
Montana_593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Montana_1798

M.O.C. #1798
Well I guess it's time to go to the shop and have it checked out. I've turned the elec off, turned the gas off and back on, done both together and waited 30 min. and yes I've used the stove everyday and still no luck with the gas heater. I have hot water from the elec, it just doesn't get as hot or last as long as with both. I'm working out of town and starting to work alot of overtime so it will be about a month or longer before I get a chance to take it in.
Thanks to everyone for your help, I've solved problems here before.
Thanks again
Texan in New Jersey (temp)
Montana_1798 is offline   Reply With Quote