Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2004, 12:12 PM   #1
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Exterior finish

Does anyone have problems with decals falling off and trim mold turning dark brown? We have a 2002 RL2955.
Thanks

Montana_1699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:14 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
No problem with ours yet, but it is a new model. I will be keeping an eye out for this though.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:27 AM   #3
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
We have an '02 and knock on wood, ours is fine.
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 07:49 AM   #4
Flastro
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1393
ddreed, I posted a response under the Montana Quality heading, I know how frustrating this can be. Mine is still new so not a problem yet. Hopefully you will find a resolution to the issues.
Flastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I have a couple of decal edges that are starting to curl. Think it is a result of waxing/washing/rubbing as much as anything. Anyway the curl is only in a few places. The worst of those I just trimmed off with a knife and the result was quite acceptable.

Oh, just remembered, one of the stripes started "peeling" off. I reaffixed it with a dab of clear sealant.

As far as trim turning brown ... Yes, the vinyl trim is turning an off-white, perhaps tan. Just like the plastic range hood's external vent cover. I don't like it but I don't think that there is much you can do about that. I just keep mine cleaned and waxed (at least once a year) and am fairly pleased with the overall appearance.

Montanas are trailers. Vinyl and plastic are low cost construction materials used industry wide in entry and mid-priced trailers. You'd have to pay quite a bit more to purchase a top of the line trailer that did not use these materials.

Just my opinion after 30 months of ownership.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Hi Craig,
Sending you a photo by email.
Old 06-17-2004, 11:52 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Our outside molding is turning tan, also, but not yet a dark brown. They seem to be difficult to get white again. One of these days I'll try some different cleaners and maybe some kind of bleaching product, like maybe Wesley's BlechWhite (something like that) that I used to use on whitewall tires, and see if that helps. If not, I can probably replace the moldings pretty cheaply.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 12:46 PM   #8
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddreed

Hi Craig,
Sending you a photo by email.
Dennis,

Wow! After looking at yout photo, I believe that you have an abnormal problem!

From the photo, it really looks strange in that some of the decals are affected more than others in close proximity. Looks like the surface was not suffficently cleaned before the factory applied the decals.

Are both sides of your Montana affected? And what about the front and rear?

I'm really surprised that this problem has taken so long to manafest itself. Not accusing you, but I have to ask ... Did you use a power washer on your 5er? If not, besides water, what do you use to wash your Montana?

Assuming that you haven't done anything to cause the problem, I'd think that Keystone would like an opportunity to help resolve the problem. I know that I wouldn't be happy with your situation. Hope you can get this photo to Keystone!

Craig
Old 06-17-2004, 01:33 PM   #9
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Hey Craig,
We use plain old car wash on the trailer and for sure no power washers. We have the same type problems on both sides. No graphics on the back except the name. We have had lots of trailers and still have one 78 mobile scout with decals on. Never had problems like this. The dealer in Rockport has lots of photos but has gotten no cooperation. This problem started just before the trailer was a year old , June of 2002, and has gotten really bad since December of 2003. I bought it August of 2001. I'm running out of patience. I don't know if I can get a photo to the company. I have made two calls to Mr Eppert for his email address with no response. If I were Keystone I sure wouldn't want that trailer out and about.
Thanks

Old 06-17-2004, 07:40 PM   #10
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
I agree that Montana would not want this NEGATIVE ADVERTIZING any more than you want to be the owner of such problem.

According to the "Montana Quality" thread, Keystone has offered to fix the problem if you get the unit to them. If it were me, I'd sure take them up on the offer.

Craig
Old 06-18-2004, 04:30 AM   #11
Montana_621
Montana Master

M.O.C. #621
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ddreed

Hey Craig,
We use plain old car wash on the trailer and for sure no power washers. We have the same type problems on both sides. No graphics on the back except the name. We have had lots of trailers and still have one 78 mobile scout with decals on. Never had problems like this. The dealer in Rockport has lots of photos but has gotten no cooperation. This problem started just before the trailer was a year old , June of 2002, and has gotten really bad since December of 2003. I bought it August of 2001. I'm running out of patience. I don't know if I can get a photo to the company. I have made two calls to Mr Eppert for his email address with no response. If I were Keystone I sure wouldn't want that trailer out and about.
Thanks

If you ask me, this is your DEALER'S fault and problem. You took it to them before the warranty was up and were trying to get the problem resolved from then before it got too out of hand but they didn't fix it. I would be going after the dealer (like it will do any good) but I feel they are at fault. They should have fixed it the first time you brought it up instead of passing the buck. Just my opinon....
Montana_621 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
Montana_1823

M.O.C. #1823
ddreed,
We have a similar problem with some decals "curling" on one side of our 2001 Montana. I emailed Keystone but haven't heard anything---wonder if there are replacement decals that we can order Let us know if you get any resolution.
Montana_1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2004, 02:52 PM   #13
Montana_1823

M.O.C. #1823
Craig,
Read your response regarding curling decals (of which we have a few on our 2001 Montana). We've only used Zip wash/wax and only very carefully. Think the curl might have resulted from direct sun on a very hot day recently. Before we try trimming the edges, what type of clear sealant did you use to reseal the stripe?

Carolyn
Montana_1823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 06:57 AM   #14
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Hi coastwills, Sorry to hear that you also have decal problems. Our decals are pealing up to the point of near falling off in some areas.This is not a problem that you would ever expect. It started some minor pealing when the unit was right at one year old, in small spots. Mine was out of warranty when I discovered that I had a real big problem so I,m taking it to Goshen for repairs shortly. Keystone has agreed to do repairs if I will bring our unit there. I have problems in addition to decals. All you can do is talk it over with their service people. I assume that they have found the problem with their decals, installation, glue, surface prep, whatever and I hope you get some help. I'm sure that they do have replacement decals.
Good Luck,
Dennis
Old 08-12-2004, 06:32 AM   #15
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Well, we made the trip to Goshen for repairs and really enjoyed it. We went up through Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois and Indiana, about 1200 miles and really had an easy trip. The Montana service crew did everything they needed to and more. Pealing decals was the big problem and they replaced those that were defective. Essentially, everthing on the trailer that needed attention was replaced or repaired and I mean everything. There were some other fine folks there for repairs and they also had high praise for the Montana folks at the repair facility. It,s really nice country to visit and we would recommend it to any of you that need to go that way. Lon, thanks again.
Old 08-12-2004, 07:15 AM   #16
Karl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #522
Regarding the "tanning" of the plastic trim. The only piece of trim that tanned on ours was the range hood vent (actually it was not pure white at the beginning). I bought (and used) Krylon Fusion white paint for plastic on the trim. It worked well, and the has stayed white for a whole year!

Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 11:36 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Dennis & Jean, does the Montana factory do this work or do they farm it out to a commercial enterprise? Just wondering. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:41 PM   #18
Montana_1699
Established Member

M.O.C. #1699
Hi Steve,
Montana has a repair facility near their plant in Goshen. They do good work as I said earlier and are really nice folks. As far as I know they are Keystone personnel. The Montana service reps are housed in the same facility.
Dennis

Old 08-24-2004, 02:04 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, Dennis & Jean.