Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2011, 01:58 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
How about a gas fireplace?

I'm batting around the idea of changing the electric fireplace, (which I love) to a gas fireplace. The rally in 'Q' made me think more about it. It's 3 degrees out, so I won't rush out and get any measurements, (But you folks that are sitting in your 3400RL now could... get some measurements if you wish )
With a blower on it, why wouldn't it work? Would the heat rising cause any problems? Would it be more rising heat than the current electric heat in the fake fireplace?
I think it would solve some of the heat problems when Boondocking, or dry camping. What do you think Wild Horse?

http://tinyurl.com/Ozzfireplace

What say you folks?

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:38 AM   #2
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Ozz,
We've been camping when the temps have gone down to 34 at night. With the fireplace and an oil filled heater (looks like a radiator) running, our furnace never came on and the DW had to get up and shut the heater off because she was too hot. I'm not sure it would be worth the expense of changing to gas. I understand the boon docking aspect but when on hookups, I'm using the campground electric and not my propane.
Jim
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #3
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Ozz, interesting idea...the only real benefit, as I see it, would be while dry camping; however, what would be the power source for the blower? Seem to recall that most of the gas heater fire places had 110 power for their blower???? Will be interesting to see how you meet this challenge...good luck! Michael
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:17 AM   #4
helmick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8890
Ozz
It says it needs a 100Lb. or larger propane tank to operate properly, a little large for my 3400.
helmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Dry camping is what I am looking at.
I could work around the limitations, either a different type of gas fireplace, adjust the regulator or change out the gas valve. The blower motor would be the same, different maker, or change the blower to a 12 volt. I could run the 120 blower off the Inverter, I imagine it would only pull an amp or two.
I am looking for additional heat options when off the grid. Many have the Blue Flame, catalytic heaters, some mode of vent-less. I saw a Blue flame mounted in a cabinet door, looked good.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:39 AM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Jim, I'm not sure of the model you're looking at, but, our gas fireplace in our stick house would melt this place(Montana). As much heat that comes from it you would not be able to sit in the Montana while it was on.
I think I would go more for the generator running our electric fp.It gets pretty warm in here with just it on.
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:42 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
http://cgi.ebay.com/PROCOM-BLOWER-HE...-/150546968437

16 whole watts on 120 volts on the blower

Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
I had a set of the vent free gas logs installed for an elderly lady so she would have heat if the electricity was interrupted. We found the odor required a little venting. I had the installation done by an employee of the utility company. They used natural gas.

Not sure why they would require a 100 pound bottle. IIRC, we have a 30K BTU heater in the Mountaineer.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:46 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Emmel

Jim, I'm not sure of the model you're looking at, but, our gas fireplace in our stick house would melt this place(Montana). As much heat that comes from it you would not be able to sit in the Montana while it was on.
I think I would go more for the generator running our electric fp.It gets pretty warm in here with just it on.
I could work around that as well, you can plug the burner orface and drill a smaller hole, reducing the BTU output if needed.
I would look to a match between the BTU's that many have in their Blue Flame heaters. I think Ham Rad has one and also Orv
I will have two Gen's, and an Inverter, just want to have options.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #10
rak
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5481
Hi Jim,
One thing to think about is that the logs are not held in place and might shift around when traveling. You might think about a catalytic safety heater by Olympian. We have a 3500rl and I installed one in it. I installed the Wave6 and it only uses 1/4 pound of LP gas per hour on the high setting. We use it in the mornings to take the chill off. PM me if you want more info.
Dick
rak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Ozz... Can you explain how you can drill a small hole? I've only been able to drill larger holes after the hole is there and I am intrigued or flat out astonished at your handiness!

I've always been told that open fire fireplaces have been preferred to prevent unnecessary flames in a trailer since it can be dangerous. But I'm sure with well thought out plans and products, this can be minimize.

Hey Rak, I'm interested in that information, not because I happen to have the same floorplan but another heater running on propane and 12V would help with our future boondocking plans in cold weather. I'm curious where you put it when it's running. I am nervous about any more open flames in the rig, but sometimes it makes sense and I am not near the furnace expert as Ozz.

Btw Ozz - noticed the new Avatar picture. I gotta move to where you are cuz both of you look younger (not to imply you looked older than the hills) and you guys look great!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #12
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Also consider that any hot air and gases going up the "chimney" would have to be replaced by cold fresh air coming in somewhere. I suppose you could get around that by installing a fresh air vent to the bottom of the fireplace to prevent cold air from coming in around windows, doors, seals, etc.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #13
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bill, I don't think there is a chimney, they are non-vented. At least the type I am looking at is.
So, I will be good on that deal.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:24 PM   #14
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Ozz, you are the HVAC expert. If anyone can make the work optimally, it would be you. My primary concerns would be for rate of fuel consumption and safe handling of combustion by-products. But you know how to evaluate that if anyone does. I know I am very happy with the electric one we have.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 01:06 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I really like my fireplace too Stiles, Sue and I were just talking about it. The non-vented models are just like the blue Flame many have, so it would be safe.
I think after researching it and getting feedback from members, I probably will add a small Blue flame, or a similar type.
There is a place called Grama's in Quartsite that sells and installs the propane fireplaces, if anyone at Q can check them out, it would be interesting to the MOC peeps.
They say they just slide right in, same footprint.
Old 01-12-2011, 01:48 PM   #16
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
I don't think you have to worry about a in vent as the leaks around the slides are enough I think to take care of the air flow;;sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:11 PM   #17
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Ozz I hooked a blue flame 10k ventless up in a friends mountianeer this summer. we put a tee in the furnace line with a valve to be able to unhook the heater to remove it in the summertime. I was thinking about one in mine just have not done anything yet. I am doing like Jim rite now a oil filled and the furnace. a 10k blue flame is the same as 2-1500w electric heaters and seems to me it would be better on saving propane over the furnace and They have alot of safety features. Just something I have been thinking about so when I'm on 30 amp you would not have to watch the power usage so much. I really like the idea of the fire place.
bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Ozz - Here is an interesting site on important safety guides for ventless heaters.
Interesting notes are that they are not for use in RVs. Doesn't say why. And the fact that they humidify the air as they heat it. "Provides water vapor in the area heated."
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:29 PM   #19
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Bobbie, what BTU was his. A 10K or 30K? I have my super fan electric heater, just wanted a Propane back-up.
Old 01-12-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BB_TX

Ozz - Here is an interesting site on important safety guides for ventless heaters.
Interesting notes are that they are not for use in RVs. Doesn't say why. And the fact that they humidify the air as they heat it. "Provides water vapor in the area heated."
Lawyers probably. it puts in some humidity, with a little ventilation, probably isn't a factor. It would get dry in the Desert