Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2004, 04:51 PM   #1
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Dead Battery in Montana-----------

Had to get something out of the entertainment center cabinet in the Montana today.
This requires running the main slide out.
Havn't used the trailer it for a couple months so wasn't real surprised to find the batteries (2 12v deep cells) dead. So returned home and brought back a charged up spare battery same size. Noticed that as soon as I attached the second battery terminal there was a significant spark indicating load, short or what? Don't think we left any thing on when we parked. Disconnected the fridge light so we could leave the door open etc. Left the spare battery in the unit while we recharge the two dead ones.
But took of the ground terminal wire to stop the short.

Any body had this experience? How do you diagnose a bad inverter?

Random Line
Jim and Fredrica Kastner Pierre, SD

2002 F350 7.3 PSD,
2003 Montana, 3255RL, LOBO, 59+ lb Keeshond lap dog

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 01:56 AM   #2
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
If your model has a handy little rechargeable flashlight as part of the equipment, it may also be a hidden drain on the battery.
Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 01:15 PM   #3
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
For What it's worth, my experience has been great service life from the dual Interstate SRM-24 Deep Cycle batteries that were in the unit as a new delivery in March 1999. We store the unit in covered storage during the winter, pull the batteries and store them at home. Just check them monthly for fluid levels and slap a charger on if necessary. I'm not perfect though, and ignored them too long this year, so just replaced with the same units. I've never had a battery problem leaving the rig plugged into AC setting in the driveway.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 02:27 AM   #4
Montana_1235
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1235
[quote]Originally posted by lightningjack11

When I disconnect shore power for long periods, I use my battery disconnects on each battery. No need to disconnect the cables. Only takes a second.

I aggree with lightningjack to use a battery disconnect instead of disconnecting the cables each time you store the coach for any length of time. I recently installed a battery switch that's the same as the ones used on many boats. It will run battery #1, or battery #2, or both or disconnect the batteries completely just by a twist of the knob. You can mount it just about anywhere so it's both secure and convienient. It covers the wires so there's no possibility to short anything out unlike the ones they sell at CW that are exposed. No problem with battery drain now and I don't have to pull fuses or unhook cables.

Bill
Montana_1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:25 AM   #5
edwardsb
Established Member

M.O.C. #1716
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Random Line

Had to get something out of the entertainment center cabinet in the Montana today.
This requires running the main slide out.
Havn't used the trailer it for a couple months so wasn't real surprised to find the batteries (2 12v deep cells) dead. So returned home and brought back a charged up spare battery same size. Noticed that as soon as I attached the second battery terminal there was a significant spark indicating load, short or what? Don't think we left any thing on when we parked. Disconnected the fridge light so we could leave the door open etc. Left the spare battery in the unit while we recharge the two dead ones.
But took of the ground terminal wire to stop the short.

Any body had this experience? How do you diagnose a bad inverter?

Random Line
Jim and Fredrica Kastner Pierre, SD

2002 F350 7.3 PSD,
2003 Montana, 3255RL, LOBO, 59+ lb Keeshond lap dog
edwardsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:28 AM   #6
edwardsb
Established Member

M.O.C. #1716
I had a battery disconnect (kill switch) installed when I purchased my 2980 RL. It is the same type of switch used on boats and fire trucks, etc. It should avoid having a dead battery after storage.
edwardsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 05:30 AM   #7
Thunderman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #920
[quote]Originally posted by edwardsb

I had a battery disconnect (kill switch) installed when I purchased my 2980 RL. It is the same type of switch used on boats and fire trucks, etc. It should avoid having a dead battery after storage.
[/quote

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Is this battery disconnect switch you used known as a Marinco Disconnect Switch? Price?
Thanks
Thunderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2004, 03:57 PM   #8
Coro from Maryland
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #455
[quote]quote:Originally posted by Bill n Pat

Quote:
Originally posted by lightningjack11

I recently installed a battery switch that's the same as the ones used on many boats. It will run battery #1, or battery #2, or both or disconnect the batteries completely just by a twist of the knob.
Hi Bill
I installed the same switch and am happy with it. But one concern to me is what happens when I switch from one battery to both. I would rather run off one battery first, then the other, then charge both together. But if both batteries are not discharged to the same level, there would be a high current surge as the two get shorted together until they equalize their voltages. I would think that this would decrease battery life (and may even be a safety issue).

So maybe I am just too cautious, but if I used them separately, I figure I have to charge each one separately. Instead I usually just use them both-connected or both-unconnected.

Coro from Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 03:07 AM   #9
snowbunny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #409
I've left my Montana plugged into shore power since we put it to bed last November. I left the battery connected and left one light on inside the Montana so I know everything is OK. I will check my battery tonight to see the level of the electrolyte. Hope I haven't killed it.

My other problem is a bit different. The only way I can get my wife to agree to dry camp is if I can provide TV for the duration. We will dry camp only for a day or two at a time and be at a full hookup campground the rest of the time. I have a small Panasonic TV in the bedroom and it draws about 60 watts at 120v. I know that there is a 12 volt outlet behind the TV. I assume that if I buy a 300 watt inverter and leave it plugged in behind the TV I can run it like that. My questions are these: Any idea how many hours you can typically get from a battery in god condition? I know that 'typically' is anything but typical but I would like your experience. Should I buy a second battery as a safety measure?

Thanks
snowbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 08:40 AM   #10
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Jim; I would strongly recomend a 2nd battery, when we're talking 12volt we're talking Amp. useage. your"typical" battery may have 200 or 220 amp hr.(only 50% usable unless its deep cycle ) so 2 batteries would give you about 220 amps to use. Your TV will use 6or 7 amps per hour,so acuople of days wont hurt you. Go the extra 20 bucks or so and get a 600 or 750 inverter,you wont regret it.
If your going to the rally, we can have some great conversations about dry camping, we love it!! Dave Anderson
Dave Anderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 03:56 PM   #11
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
[Havn't used the trailer it for a couple months so wasn't real surprised to find the batteries (2 12v deep cells) dead. So returned quote]

Well I discovered the problem....(And it was me as so often happens)

When I parked the trailer. I (with mind in neutral) pulled out the emergency braking system cable and insert. There had been some vandalism to the topper door on a spare pickup I had parked nearby while we were traveling. I thought taking that breakaway brake cable inside was a way to lessen temptation for some little dark angel loose in the area. When that thing is pulled I guess the brake electrics are engaged. And if the battery is not disconnected it is soon dead.
And it was. Silly me. Causing my own problems.

Thanks for all the input on this subject I learned a lot here.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2004, 11:42 AM   #12
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
Service Mgr, Maybe you can answer this, Ive read that being plugged into shorepower without batteries,(or with a complete battery disconect) was the fastest way to blow yuor converter voltage regulator or diode? I pulled my dead bat. and stayed hooked to SP. when I put in replacements(4 6volt hooked in series and paralel to give me 440amps@12 volts)my converter wanted to pump 16.5 volts into them,which would have cooked them!!
Fortunatly, I had installed a trimetric meter that tells me every volt and amp going in or out of my batteries so I caught it and had a new converter installed. please check this battery disconnect might not be so good . I dont use shore power when I store, I put a 1.5 amp trickle charger on my Bats. and it keeps them right up to13.5 volts
Dave Anderson
Old 08-20-2004, 02:25 AM   #13
captbanjo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1269
Hi Dave. Can you (or anyone else) tell me how to add a second battery, or point me in the right internet direction for that?

-----

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Anderson

Jim; I would strongly recomend a 2nd battery, when we're talking 12volt we're talking Amp. useage. your"typical" battery may have 200 or 220 amp hr.(only 50% usable unless its deep cycle ) so 2 batteries would give you about 220 amps to use. Your TV will use 6or 7 amps per hour,so acuople of days wont hurt you. Go the extra 20 bucks or so and get a 600 or 750 inverter,you wont regret it.
If your going to the rally, we can have some great conversations about dry camping, we love it!! Dave Anderson
captbanjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 02:41 AM   #14
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
First, it's best to match your batteries. That is , they should be of the same amp hour rateing and, preferably from the same manufacturer. If your adding a battery, you should be relatively sure that the existing battery has not aged. An old weakend battery will drag a new battery down with it.

Buy your second matching battery and mount it in your 5er. Buy two cables, (from the battery store) and connect positive to positive and negative to negative. The cables should be about #4 AWG with ends that fit the posts on the two batteries. How long, depends on where you mount the second battery. If you require a larger battery box or other hardware, the battery dealer should be able to help you out.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 04:28 AM   #15
Coro from Maryland
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #455
Just want to add that adding the second battery is really quite easy.

It is also a good time to install a battery disconnect switch. As mentioned on the previous page, the rotary type sold in boat stores are much better than those sold for RV's.
Coro from Maryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 04:56 PM   #16
Dave Anderson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1654
I still want to tell you guys to be careful of total disconect using shorepower, with NO BATTERY online, you may blow your converter voltage regulator on your converter. I did and I know you san fry your batteries if you converter desides to put 16.5 AMPS into your batteries, DAVE
Old 08-25-2004, 12:17 AM   #17
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Dave Anderson
I still want to tell you guys to be careful of total disconect using shorepower, with NO BATTERY online, you may blow your converter voltage regulator on your converter. I did and I know you san fry your batteries if you converter desides to put 16.5 AMPS into your batteries, DAVE
That is probably some good advice.

I have been using a disconnect switch in that fashion for a couple of years without a problem. But to the best of my knowledge, I've only totally disconnected the battery when the converter was in the "trickle charge" mode.

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:48 AM   #18
Montana_657
Montana Master

M.O.C. #657
There has been a big change in the design of converters in the last 4 or 5 years. The newer ones from Parallax are 3 stage chargers with load senseing built in. There is no "regulator diode" it's controlled by switching. They all seem to be tarred with the same brush as the older hysterisis regulated converters from years ago.

If you hook up a good battery go away for a couple of hours, then measure the voltage. Spec is 13.8 volts. If you hook up and measure it while the converter is moving through it's charge, adsorption or float phases voltages will vary.

Parallax also says that no battery is required to run the converter, but personally, I like to have a battery connected. It helps to smooth out the power a bit.
Montana_657 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 05:06 PM   #19
Montana_512
Established Member

M.O.C. #512
Same problem here. .. I had installed a new deep cycle battery and left the Montana parked for three weeks and found the battery completely dead. .. Each time I park the Montana for any extended time I take the ground lead loose from the battery terminal. If I am going to leave it parked for more than a month I take the battery home with me and put it on the smart charger. If you decide to do this, I suggest you check the fluid level every couple of weeks and make sure it is topped off with distilled water you can pick up at the grocery store. ... Good camping. ...
Montana_512 is offline   Reply With Quote