Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2009, 03:37 PM   #1
traveler12

M.O.C. #9501
Digital TV

I put a converter on our analog tv to get digital tv in the rv but continue to get weak or no signal prompts onscreen on some channels. I have batwing antenna with amplifier. Any advice on how to fix this problem ?

traveler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
RV5rMustang65r
Established Member

M.O.C. #4385
Have you tried to rotate the antenea to different compass directions and reprogram the TV? I understand that digtal stations require that the antenea be pointed toward them and that programing the TV to only one location may not pickup all availabe channels.
RV5rMustang65r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
lfw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8881
It does help to turn the antenna towards the station. When I have a good signal and I turn on a 12 volt light or the bathroom fan I get a very weak signal.. not sure what is going on with that yet..Here is a good web site to find stations in your area..antennaweb.org
lfw
lfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by lfw

It does help to turn the antenna towards the station. When I have a good signal and I turn on a 12 volt light or the bathroom fan I get a very weak signal.. not sure what is going on with that yet..Here is a good web site to find stations in your area..antennaweb.org
lfw
Find the fuse that powers the 12v light and bathroom fan (I assume they are on the same circuit) and pull it. Then see if the TV Amp is on the same circuit. If so, I would look at loose wire connections because it sounds as if the TV Amp is not getting enough power when other 12v items are turned on.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #5
traveler12

M.O.C. #9501
I have rotated the antenna but did not reprogram the tv after turning the antenna. Will give that a try. Also I talked to Shop people at Camping World. He said if my batwing bar was white it was the latest version of the batwing which should be for digital signal. They have an attachment called a wingman which clamps on the batwing. Anyone out there tried this yet ? He also said that if wing was silver or not white it was not for digital signal. In that case they have a new wing that installs in place of old one.
traveler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
RV5rMustang65r
Established Member

M.O.C. #4385
I just added the wingman this past weekend but still can't get any ABC, CBS, NBC or Fox affilates here in Gray Me about 40 miles from Portland. Prior to the digital conversion I could receive all of the major stations by either rotating the antenna and/or reprograming the TV. Any thoughts/suggestions?
Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #7
NCFischers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8728
Send a message via Yahoo to NCFischers
Do you need to add the wingman to get digital if your antenna bar is white?
NCFischers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:06 AM   #8
RV5rMustang65r
Established Member

M.O.C. #4385
Traveler12 said that you don't need the wingman if your batwing is white. Mine was gray/silver so I added the wingman and I'm still not getting major stations no matter which direction that I turn the batwing or reprogram the TV. However, I am able to recieve some digtal channels but not the major stations.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:06 AM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
Nobody's asked the question yet, although it may seem dumb, but is the amplifier turned on?

If you reprogram the digital tuner after turning the antenna, you will miss the stations that are now weak.

Go to www.tvfool.com and put in your location. It will tell you the stations available and the calculated signal strength. You may have to manually program your tuner to have it look for all the stations. Print out a map of the station locations so you can rotate the antenna for best reception.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #10
RV5rMustang65r
Established Member

M.O.C. #4385
Yes, the amplifer was on and I used tvfool to confirm the compass directions of the broadcast stations but still no success. I handled the problem in this location by connecting about a 100 feet of cable to the stickhouse's cable service. Problem solved here!!!