Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 04-09-2009, 06:37 AM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Second A/C

We want to add a second A/C to our 2008 3400RL. Does anyone have a suggestion or preference? We have checked CW and they offer three different types with installation about the same and pricing within $100 of each one.

We're not in a hurry but would like to get it done before our summer travels. I will be checking with our local RV dealers as well.

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
This is a great time and place to asks your question. Things to think about.
  • Your unit should have duct work right up to where the bedroom A/C would be installed. So do you want it ducted in. If so then you might want it wired to the main control so it can control both A/Cs. Probably the most expensive.

My unit does not have the duct so it is a self contained unit venting just in the bedroom.

Next is a regular or low profile unit. There is much discussion about the low profile not working as well. I can not comment because I have a regular unit.

The front A/C will probably be the tallest point on your trailer so it's height should also be a consideration. Ours is about 13' 3" at the top of the front A/C.
You will have others with great comments.

H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:31 AM   #3
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Our unit was wired for the second AC, but we did not decide we needed one until last summer. It is not plumbed into the central ducting system, nor is it wired to the master control. We like it this way, it is totally isolated, so we can manually control it's heating (we got the heat strip) and cooling. In the summer, if not too hot, during the day it works well to have the front unit on, with a small fan above the steps blowing air into the living area. At night, we'll turn the main unit on with the ceiling fan to blow air to the bedroom.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 08:17 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Ours will not be ducted either but are considering the heat strip. What brands and size did you get?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 10:02 AM   #5
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
We added the 13500 btu with the heat strip, non-ducted. Florida or NC beach in the summertime you could hang meat if that's what you wanted. But if anything, when pulling in after a day on the road, it allows the unit to cool much faster.
One of the best investments I've made on this unit.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 11:42 AM   #6
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
We had a 298RLS and one a/c would not cool it down in Florida. It came on at 9am and ran until 10pm. Second a/c is a good investment in comfort.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I must have the same unit as John Kohl, Brisk Air by Dometic. Non ducted and will freeze you out of the bedroom at night. We use our bedroom ac when we are watching TV in the LR to cut down on the noise. On high and a fan at the stairs does wonders for the living room area or our 3400.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 02:11 PM   #8
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I have the Dometic Duo-therm 13.5 BTU low profile with heat strip. Been very happy with the performance.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 03:17 PM   #9
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Dick,

We have a 2008 3400 early model without ducting.We considered two brands of low profile models for the front and settled on the Carrier Air V Low-Profile without the heat strip at 13500 Btu's. the unit measures only 7.5 inches high. Most other low profile units measure 9-9.5 inches high. There is a website that you can further explore - www.airv.carrier.com.

We did not get the heat strip model or the heat pump just the A/C.

I got a 2 year warranty because I returned the warranty registration card within 10 days of purchase. Normally it's a one year warranty. As you maybe aware there are two elements to the roof air - roof unit and ceiling assembly. Mine operates on a 20 amp breaker.

I ordered mine via ebay at a total cost of $585. Had it shipped to my RV dealer and they installed it.

I'm sure Dometic has a good unit. I simply wanted the lowest profile and you can hang meat in the bedroom if not careful with temps. Good Luck. Dennis
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #10
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We added our bedroom AC after our first summer in the Montana. I believe it is a 13,500 Duo Therm.I love it as we run it year round as a white noise buffer to drown out the diesel trucks in the RV Park. Run it on AC in the summer, and just fan during the winter. Sure sleep like a baby when it is running.

The first thing I do once we have power is turn the frig on and the bedroom AC. When on high it will drop the temperature on the RV real quick for our cat.

We don't have the heat strips, wish we had them for those early cold mornings.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 06:09 PM   #11
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We received a quote from our dealer for $1134.45 for a 13,500 Dometic installed. Even though they gave me 10% off of the parts they added $89 for misc items and want $275 for installation plus $75 freight. Camping World is asking about $700 for the A/C, $88 installation and $109 freight. Ebay is still offering the Carrier Air V Low Profile for $569 plus $100 freight and no sales tax. If CW is only charging $88 for installation I'm assuming it's pretty easy. Is this something I should consider installing myself?

Thanks
Old 04-09-2009, 06:52 PM   #12
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
Adventure RV net has the Duo therm 13,500 non-ducted unit for about $519.00 delivered. We opted for the ducted which costs extra for the duct kit ($50) and the electronic controls to tie it to the dual zone thermostat ($120). All the wiring is already installed, the hardest part of the install is getting the 95 lb unit on the roof and getting the existing sealing caulk off the roof after you remove the vent.

Bill
billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We are going to go with the Carrier non ducted but let the dealer install it. I can buy it myself for about $700 complete through Family RV/Ebay. My problem is getting the A/C up on the roof and doing the install myself. I'd rather pay the dealer the extra $300 to do the job. That way any problems are on him and I trust my dealer more than me.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:27 AM   #14
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Good luck Dick on your new A/C and installtion. Our AirV unit works fine except the vents are capable of rotating or set to stay fixed. The rotation aspect has stopped. Carrier told me to take it back to the RV dealer that installed it and they will order the new part needed because it has a 2 year warranty.

Here is the Carrier AirV online registration site. I selected Installer and Owner Application and then when going thru the completion process, simply fill the name address and telephone number of your RV dealer as well as your info. https://www.registration.airv.carrie...oose_interface

Make sure your RV dealer gives you all your manuals, and even the section of the box that lists the unit serial numbers for the Roof and Upper unit.
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote