Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-24-2009, 05:03 PM   #1
sfretts
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8573
Jt Stabilizer info wanted & a broke 5vr

Hi,

Dropped off the Mountaineer this morning for some warranty work. While talking to the folks at Tacoma RV, the had us watch a video and showed us the JT system after we asked. I have searched the forum and found some post regarding the system but most had just purchased them and were 'testing'. I am curious to hear from some of you folks about how they are working. We ordered a set, but having buyer remorse as far as cost.

Also, we dropped off the trailer for some work and mentioned to the service wriyer about how the living room slide drops a little when closing. He had me open and close ans when the floor dropped about an inch when closed, he stared and told me "never seen one do that before!" Ithought "crap, this will take some time to fix" but he felt it should only take a couple days. It's always something. Anyway, anyone heard of this problem and is it hard to fix? I am glad its on warranty but have no idea why it drops like that.

Thanks

sfretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
As far as the JT's - I really like mine. The are "Solid as a Rock!!!!" hahahahaha - Sorry Rich- had to say that.

Really, they made a world of difference on ours. I can't feel the kids moving around in the sofa bed anymore, and you don't spill your coffee when somebody comes running up the outside steps. We have the wash machine as well and except for a vibration in the super slide windows when the wash machine hits 800-1,000 RPM, I usually can't tell if its running.

They were down to $299 for a while, but I see now that they got bought out by Lippert they are running $439. I'm sure the Dealer added a bit to that.

On the slide, our tips up while coming in because it has to ride up over the nylon tracks to get above the floor of the main body. Could that be thought of as the floor dropping when it comes in?
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 06:13 PM   #3
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Here they are for 329.00 with free shipping!
http://www.tweetys.com/jt-s-strong-a...MMP=1014737087
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #4
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
We have used our JT's for two years now and just love them. In fact, when we ordered our new Big Sky, it was part of our dealer to have new ones installed. I wouldn't be without them.

Helen
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:37 AM   #5
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
We have had them since we got the Big Sky. We love them and they do make a large difference. We bought them from Rvwholesalers.com and I put them on. The instructions were very good and the install was very easy. Since then we have had no problems with them and they keep the rig very steady. We have used them on grass, gravel, concrete, and asphalt. The only place we had a small problem was grass after a long hard rain. The grass turned to mud and got very soft. We also had bought the Elephant Feet and they helped a lot. When the mud got very soft we just lowered the jacks a bit farther and everything snugged right up. We have two hundred pound labs and when the chocolate lab "flops" down on the couch it shakes the whole rig. This used to shake the entire rig in our old SOB but since we got the Big Sky and the JT's it she only shakes that slide. We love them... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 03:40 AM   #6
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Yep, "Solid as a Rock". Make no mistake, these are RV's and you are sitting on air (tires) and will have some movement, so take the solid as a rock statement with a grain of salt. I will say there is a world of difference with as compared to without the JT's. I think using the between wheel chocks helps also.

There are adjustment bolts on the bottom of the slides, but I had mine adjuated by Keystone. This should not be a difficult fix. Sounds like the dealer is pulling your chain or doesn't know how to adjust them. Good luck....
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:07 AM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We used our Monty a year without them. Then I bought them (for $299) last year and installed them myself. Well worth the money. Much more stable than the tripod I was using.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:21 AM   #8
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
We have the JT's and wouldn't be without them. You do still get a bit of movement but it is hardly noticeable. If it is moving a lot the 5th wheel has settled some more or as happened to us a friend loosened one of the wing bolts as a joke.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 04:36 AM   #9
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Now that I have them I would not have another 5th wheel without them. Money well spent.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes they DO make a big difference. A bunch of us purchased them at the fall rally from Lippert for a very good price and they are in use as we speak here in Florida for the winter. They add a great deal of stability to the camper. How- some- ever. Prior to the JT's we were using 3 sets, that would be six, jack stands strategically placed along the frame of the 3400 and we achieved the same or I say better stabiity as achieved with the JT's at considerably less cost. The jack stands are not as handy to set up and maybe do not look as good under he camper.

The secret , since we are on a suspension system is to releive stess on the suspension thereby increasing stability by reducing bounce.That is what the JT's attempt to do. It is my opinion and experience that I can better do that with the jack stands at far less cost. I left the jack stands at home having to much confidence in the JT's without proper testing. In the future I will use both the jack stands and the JT's and we will be.....Dare I say it.. almost steady as a rock.

The JT's do live up to the PR and will greatly reduce bounce and shimmy.. Disegard "steady as a rock" statements.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #11
wild willy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8295
We got the JT's at the fall rally too and really like what they do. I also have a set of slide-out support jacks but only use 2 of them under the frame about midway which is right in front of the axles. It isn't a pleasnt task to put them there but they also take a lot of "bounce out of the rig.
wild willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:30 AM   #12
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
We have had the JT's on two Montana's and they really help. I installed a set of rear stabilizers I had from our previous Monty just behind the rear tires, and between the JT's and the added stabilizers the unit is very stable. The amount of movement we have now does not bother either of us even with the w/d running.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:32 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Will... Slideout support jacks. What a great idea. Looked them up. They adjust from 20 inches to 34 inches then went out and measured frame to ground....plenty of room. I may get this thing... "steady as rock" after all. This is why I am on this forum so much. So much to learn..
Old 01-25-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
jim n deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7406
I have them on my montana. got them at dryers .com 275.38 plus shipping jim
jim n deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 05:34 PM   #15
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:richfaa Posted - Jan 25 2009 : 6:32:49 PM
Will... Slideout support jacks. What a great idea. Looked them up. They adjust from 20 inches to 34 inches then went out and measured frame to ground....plenty of room. I may get this thing... "steady as rock" after all. This is why I am on this forum so much. So much to learn..
Thanks guys, you answered my question about using support jacks. I often thought support jacks at mid-point would take away those little doggy bounces. I guess I'll get a pair of jacks and try them.

Don't you just love all the good info on this site.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 06:40 AM   #16
beakyfudd
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8751
Being very thrifty(cheap), I've decided to make my own stablizers modeled after the JTs. I found that 1/2"EMT conduit fits inside 3/4"EMT fairly well, so after our Mountaineer comes out of storage, I will embark on that project. I value all the info this forum offers. Now knowing how well the JTs work I can procede with confidence.
beakyfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #17
Bob & Lee
Montana Master

M.O.C. #718
I thought of the slide stablizers before but was worried about IF the tire go's down or flat the stablizer up thru the floor ?

Bob
Bob & Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 07:16 AM   #18
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Excellent point Bob! Anything you put under the frame needs to have the capacity to carry the load if you get a flat, even if it just drops an inch. If it can't handle it, something is gonna bust.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 08:46 AM   #19
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by beakyfudd

Being very thrifty(cheap), I've decided to make my own stablizers modeled after the JTs. I found that 1/2"EMT conduit fits inside 3/4"EMT fairly well, so after our Mountaineer comes out of storage, I will embark on that project. I value all the info this forum offers. Now knowing how well the JTs work I can procede with confidence.
That may well work. But I think you will find that EMT is not nearly as strong as the JT tubes are. Using a screw tighting method like the JTs will likely deform the EMT possibly making them difficult to extend and retract. Also the attachment brackets will be a chore to make. But you may have the talent and equipment to tackle that.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:09 AM   #20
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We would not be using them under the slideout but under the frame for additional stability. They are rated for 10k lbs each. Don't think I would take the chance of using them as slide supports. As far as having a flat or low air pressure the same can be said for the JT's... I had not thought of that. I will check air pressure we have been sitting here since Oct 24th. I like it when everyone else thinks for me.