Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM   #1
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Kitchen Sink Leak (post warranty replacement)

We developed a bad odor and track it to under the sink. We found that both drains had leaked right at the drains. After I took the drains apart I found that when the dealer replaced the counter/sink assembly in July, the tech had put the drains cups in with the gasket on the wrong side of the cup. He had put the gasket between the cup and sink. The proper way to install the cup is to put plumbers putty between the cup and sink and press it into the putty till it squeezes out. Then go underneath the sink and place the rubber gasket on the cup followed by the paper (or cardboard) friction gasket and finally the large nut. You then tighten down the nut down (no easy task) I used a pair of alligator pliers opened all the way and worked with two three of the tabs on the nut. After the first tightening I took a DULL kitchen knife and lightly cut away the excess putty that squeezed out. I would suggest a Popsicle stick sharpened to a point as a better and safer tool to cut the putty. Following this I tightened the nut again and remover more putty. I did this several times as each time you tighten the nut more putty squeezes out. Then I went and took a nap. The nap allowed a bit more putty to squeeze out and the putty to harden a bit. I reassembled the rest of the drain system and did a flood test. I filled both sinks with HOT water and left them for an hour with paper towels under the drains to show any leaks. I had none. I have taken a bunch of pictures so you can follow the whole operation. Here is the Link. you can stop the slide show if you want to look at the pictures longer... Dave and Betsy

Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 12:51 PM   #2
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Thanks for the great presentation. It`s very helpful to others on the forum in case we run into the same problem.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
dave how could the guy be in the business as it states on ever basket directions how to put in,, the guy needs to get a job at taco bell ,,,, sailer
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #4
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
John, I think that is where he was working the first 5 weeks my rig was at the dealer... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Lambchop
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5793
Dave,

They have a lot of new technicians working there. I have had problems with them. I have bought 3 units from them in the last 5 years. I had lot's of poor workmanship with them last summer. I'm not going to mention the dealer's name here, but you know who I'm talking about.

Roy
Lambchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:18 AM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
One of the problems we have noted in our years of traveling and having work done on our rigs is that some of the repair facilities hire people looking for work. It makes no difference what their background is.

We have been very fortunate in that we have a great dealer who has bona fide technicians who a "vetted" very well before hiring. If any of you travel through Fresno, CA and need work done, Central RV Repair has some of these good (or great) technicians who have the customer's care in mind.

It's interesting that we go to places where we don't even know what the experience of the repair people is, yet we wouldn't go to the CEO of Hewlett-Packard to have our teeth worked on or for back surgery, would we?

Maybe all the economic turndowns will work out best for us as consumers. There won't be such a clamor for hiring every Tom, Dick and Harry (or Mary, Jane and Paula).

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:50 AM   #7
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Dave,
Very nice slideshow presentation. Good pics, too. Illustrated your narrative very well. Thanks for sharing.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #8
eeoski
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8297
Popsicle sticks!!! Hey, my father makes sure we all have a supply of popsicle sticks in the stick houses, vehicles and RVs...he swears they are one of the most important "have to haves" for all tool boxes as well. Can't tell you how many times having popsicle sticks readily available has been a real time saver! (We store ours in large medicine bottles.) One nice thing about having grandkids, nieces and nephews around is that you have a never ending supply! (Of course we provide the popsicles! LOL)

Robin
eeoski is offline   Reply With Quote