Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-01-2009, 02:02 PM   #21
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tuckerfolk, there was just a topic on this a few days ago. Here it is. Should answer any questions you might have.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=33968

dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:37 PM   #22
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We always hookup to shore power before extending the slides or the landing legs. Upon advise from this forum we marked the max retracted position on the legs so we do not exceed that. We have not blown a fuse in over 3 years.???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 09:46 AM   #23
tuckerfolk
Established Member

M.O.C. #8737
Took my 2009 Monty 3400, purchased in September, 2008 into the dealer for Warranty repairs on 6/15 and today, 7/11/09, I returned from my dealer without my Monty… Here’s why.

My landing gear kept blowing fuses, I even called Keystone and talked about the various discussions in these blogs, they told me to take it in and have my Dealer call Keystone for help. My dealer claimed I was using the wrong fuse!? I replaced it with a small green 30 amp plastic fuse. The Service manager said I needed a “slow burn” fuse and he said he would give me some extras. When I got here, he handed me some glass tube type fuses, and when I said that’s not the fuse, he gave me this story….. He stated by battery was low in voltage and needed water. I picked this unit up in September, took it on one weekend shakedown trip and stored it for the winter with the battery red disconnect pulled all winter. In the spring, I reconnected the red switch, and plugged it into 110v for a few weeks before our trip to Colorado Springs. All the time the battery gage in the trailer said the battery was fully charged. The dealer claims that since the battery was low, when I operated the landing gear I was pulling too many amps and would blow the fuse. I also told him that I was always plugged into the shore power, so how can I be pulling too many amps. He said it doesn’t matter, the landing gears operates solely on the battery? Also, asked him how could my battery be low on water in just 10months in service. He said because I had it plugged in so much I cooked away the water. Does any of this make sense? Anyway, according to my dealer, the reason I blew fuses was my battery was low in volts and water. So much for the battery gage in the trailer!

He told me to call Keystone on Monday. Does any of this make sense?
tuckerfolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 01:08 PM   #24
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Ours is a 40 amp fuse and we still blew it without even coming close to the end of the travel in either direction. That was in May of this year. Just lucky, I guess.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 06:04 PM   #25
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Tuckerfolk, sounds like a lot of song and dance to me. Don't know where that dealer got all that info, but I would call Keystone and double check point by point what he he is feeding you. I'd hate to say he was making that up as he went, but some (most/all) of his answers are new to me. Not that I can't learn new things.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #26
KathyandDave
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8693
Send a message via MSN to KathyandDave
The dealer seems to be saying what our dealer said - insufficient battery voltage - but for a different reason.
KathyandDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I was blowing the landing gear motor fuse on my 2007 Monty pretty soon after we got it. I finally got tired of changing fuses and decided to find out why. I found that the inline fuse connection was the crimp on type. I cut it out, slid a piece of heat shrink down the wire then soldered the splice. Slid the heat shrink over the joint and applied the heat. I haven't blown a fuse since.

Hope this helps.

Dee
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote