Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2008, 02:18 PM   #1
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Fresh water tank filling while using flush.

A fellow across the road from us has an 06 Montana. He is having a problem with the fresh water tank filling while he is using the Black water flush. I seem to remember this being discussed but can't find it quickly using the search.

If anyone reading this tonight (Monday) or early tomorrow knows anything about this problem, please post it.

We are leaving here (Gulf Shores) tomorrow morning, so it will have to be "now or never".

I suggested that the fellow get on the Forum, but he does not have a computer with him. He has one at home in Wi, so maybe eventually he will join us.

OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:46 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
If his fresh water tank is being filled while back flushing the black water tank, then there is something wrong. In no way do you EVER want fresh water and black water flushing in any way connected. That's why we tell everyone to use an anti-siphon device through which the back flushing water is being drawn.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 02:57 PM   #3
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Agree with Orv. He need to trace the water flow behind the station panel or have a dealer do it.
cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
He is either hooking to the wrong inlet or the connections are crossed, but then it would have been like this from the beginning, and know it is being noticed?? Lines just don't un connect and re connect at will, sounds kinda stinky to me..
I know I have looked at mine and that connection only goes to the black tank.
waldo238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 03:18 PM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
John if his is anything like mine he has to turn the lever at the black water tank flush inlet to fill for the fresh water fill. If he can't hear water running in the tank then he must have a kinked line or something. If he is in the flush position and the anti-siphon valve is stuck he won't hear anything either. Is he for sure in the fill position?? JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:14 PM   #6
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
Wouldn't the fresh water fill come off of the city inlet? When I hook up mine to city inlet I have the option from there to fill the fresh water tank. Why would it be set up to fill the fresh water tank thru the black water flush??
Old 04-14-2008, 05:05 PM   #7
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Waldo238,

Near the City Water inlet do you have a valve marked Winterize On/Off?
Above that is another valve that is marked Water Heater By Pass On/Off.
At the bottom is the Tank Fill Power Flush valve inlet marked Normal Flow and Fill.
What you say makes sense to me also. As explained to me by the tech at PDI and I even tried it twice, when it is in the Fill position water goes to the fresh water.
This is why I think there may be different hookups out there. I had to have the dealer work on mine because I could not get the tank to flusher to work. It's all fixed now. I guess I will have to check and see if I still get water to the fresh water tank now that it has been worked on. JB
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 AM   #8
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
I have an 08 3000RK which has 3 inlets top down: winterize, city inlet, black tank flush. Next to these is a valve handle for winterize on/off, hot water heater by-pass and then city fresh water fill. My tank flush only goes to the black tank as my vacuum breaker valve had to be replaced after it found it leaking. I traced that line from the convenience center, across the floor up the back wall behind the shower which led to the faulty valve, then it came back down, back across the floor and then into the black tank.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

I have an 08 3000RK which has 3 inlets top down: winterize, city inlet, black tank flush. Next to these is a valve handle for winterize on/off, hot water heater by-pass and then city fresh water fill. My tank flush only goes to the black tank as my vacuum breaker valve had to be replaced after it found it leaking. I traced that line from the convenience center, across the floor up the back wall behind the shower which led to the faulty valve, then it came back down, back across the floor and then into the black tank.
Here is a picture to go with the description above. I took this "before" shot before I installed my inline water filters. I "think" I have marked this up right but welcome second checks and smacks up the side of the head if I gooned it up. Sorry that I couldn't make it bigger. you may have to save the picture to your computer and open it in a program that will allow you to magnify it better.

KEY POINT You should not have to do anything to flush your tank once you hook up to the flush line and turn the water on. It is a straight shot to the tank. Perhaps you were not hooked up to the correct connection? If you are hooked up to City and turn to "fill" you WILL fill up your fresh water tank. I wish I was near my unit and could give you exact labels but I am not so I am counting on the regular heavies here to make sure I don't give you bumb gouge.

Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM   #10
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122

Thanks for all your advice. I passed on as much as I could before we left Gulf Shores this morning.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:28 PM   #11
waldo238
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7818
That is exactly what mine looks like in the back. Do you have an after water filter install shot? Is this the area that you put you're filters? I have been thinking of putting mine in there.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:34 PM   #12
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I really don't want to hijack this thread but here is a shot of the after install. Only change from the picture to what I have now is the output hose from the left hand filter is a nylon reinforced tube vice what you see. What is in the picture held for about 4 hours before it ballooned up and burst. Live and Learn.

Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote